Google outs Indian man to authorities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google outs Indian man to authorities

An Indian man was arrested over the weekend for allegedly posting derogatory and vulgar content about Indian politician Sonia Gandhi on Google's social networking site, Orkut. 22-year-old Rahul Krishnakumar Vaid had posted his comments in an Orkut community called "I hate Sonia Gandhi" through an Orkut account associated with his Gmail account. With Google's help, local authorities were able to verify Vaid's identity and make the arrest.

Vaid was charged under the Indian Penal Code as well as the Information Technology Act, according to expressindia.
    via artstechnica.com

Apparently, libeling a politician is considered a criminal offense in India. Of course Google wants to stay on the collective good side of the global community, but do you think it went too far in helping Indian law enforcement apprehend Vaid?
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Re: Google outs Indian man to authorities

are you sure he's not a member of the, "westboro baptist church"?

seems as though they hate everyone and anyone. they hide behind their religion/church. he hid behind his computer. hatemongers, the whole lot.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

The whole concept of "freedom of speech" is quite unique to America. It's very important to remember that other cultures have different views on this subject.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
        are you sure he's not a member of the, "westboro baptist church"?

seems as though they hate everyone and anyone. they hide behind their religion/church. he hid behind his computer. hatemongers, the whole lot.
        Haven't we heard enough of "Westboro Baptist Church"? For the record, they don't [as a group] hate anyone, they just insist on letting the rest of us know that 'God hates sinners', which is not an uncommon religious message.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Oops, double post.
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            The whole concept of "freedom of speech" is quite unique to America. It's very important to remember that other cultures have different views on this subject.
            The expressindia article points out that it wasn't the view itself that was cause for arrest but the way in which the opinion was expressed. I'm not too clear on the laws, but are they saying that you can express your opinion, just not using vulgar language?

Taken from http://www.legalserviceindia.com/cyber/itact.html

Section 67 of Indian Info Technology Act:
            "67. Publishing of information which is obscene in electronic form.
            Whoever publishes or transmits or causes to be published in the electronic form, any material which is lascivious or appeals to the prurient interest or if its effect is such as to tend to deprave and corrupt persons who are likely, having regard to all relevant circumstances, to read, see or hear the matter contained or embodied in it, shall be punished on first conviction with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to five years and with fine which may extend to one lakh rupees and in the event of a second or subsequent conviction with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years and also with fine which may extend to two lakh rupees."

Indian Penal Code section 292:
            http://www.vakilno1.com/bareacts/Ind...lCode/S292.htm
            Section 292. Sale, etc., or obscene books, etc.
            2[(1) For the purposes of sub-section (2), a book, pamphlet, paper, writing, drawing, painting, representation, figure or any other object, shall be deemed to be obscene if it is lascivious or appeals to the prurient interest or if its effect, or (where it comprises two or more distinct items) the effect of any one of its items, is, if taken as a whole, such as to tend to deprave and corrupt persons who are likely, having regard to all relevant circumstances, to read, see or hear the matter contained or embodied in it.]

A little confused...the Indian Penal code seems to refer to material that is being SOLD. Not sure how this applies to one person's words as posted on Orkut...

Comment

Yes, a fine, respectable, tolerant bunch they are.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                Haven't we heard enough of "Westboro Baptist Church"? For the record, they don't [as a group] hate anyone, they just insist on letting the rest of us know that 'God hates sinners', which is not an uncommon religious message.

well, if that were so......you wouldn't have added any more commentary?
                "chaos reigns within.
                reflect, repent and reboot.
                order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Yahoo outs Chinese man to authorities (last year)

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                    The whole concept of "freedom of speech" is quite unique to America.
                    Au contraire, Tim. Freedom of Speech originated in the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen, a french document brought on by the French Revolution. Suffice to say, America (or more accurately, the U.S.A.) “borrowed” the concept of “freedom of speech” from the French, and added it as the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Wow, that sucks. Poor guy

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                      Apparently, libeling a politician is considered a criminal offense in India.
                      I'm not keen on the legal details. Is this statement accurate: "In America you can be sued for libel, but it's not a crime." ?

Of course Google wants to stay on the collective good side of the global community,
                      I think there are at least two global communities. The Peons (most of us) and The Bastages (people with almost all of the wealth and power). The Internet is a valuable piece of global infrastructure and a mechanism for social control. Both communities have differing ideas of how it should be used.

but do you think it went too far in helping Indian law enforcement apprehend Vaid?
                      As an American who cherishes the value of free speech, yeah I think Google went too far.

[the following is tongue-in-cheek (i.e. I wish to exercise my right to free speech without taking on the responsibility of ensuring its quality)]

Unfortunately Google isn't operating in America, but India. If the U.S. can't force its values on other countries (and we've all seen how much it tries), then Google doesn't have the clout (military, political, economic, etc.) to change the Indian government.

It's too early for Google to use any strong arm tactics. It'll just leave the door open for Google clones from other countries to offer a more pro-government alternative. Shareholders wouldn't be happy with that. Far better for Google to slide into the Indian government's bed and try to influence them with soft skills (all you ladies with your man on a leash know what I'm talking about).

It would be stock-splitting if Google announced the purchase of Blackwater Worldwide. Modify their search engine to point Indian civilians towards anti-government propaganda. Once the country is destabilized, Google could introduce it's new product, Google Nations (tm). A tri-pronged technology: 1) Google Apps which quietly logs all transactions to form a densely-correlated, critical-mass database; 2) cloud computing to crunch the data and expose potential lay lines of dissidence; 3) highly trained civilian contractors equipped with the latest in "less-than-lethal crowd control instruments", perfect for encouraging citizens to reconsider how best to exercise their freedoms.

But that's way off in the future. For now Google needs to keep its gazillion eyes on the ball. Focus on market penetration, with acceptable compromises. Become indispensable and THEN leverage their position for the betterment of humanity. In light of this, I'm comfortable with what Google has done.
                      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                      "
                      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
                      X