Anybody used a community garden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody used a community garden?

As a child, my military family always seemed to have a vegetable garden of some sort. In Italy it was beside the rented house in the olive grove. (I can remember exactly where, because my brother and I were the water bearers!) In Pakistan it was beside the house, but it was the landlord's garden; it was cared for by the chuckadore, and fertilized by ye olde night soil (we did not eat those vegetables...it freaked Mama out.) In Ohio, our family was one of about 50 that shared a community garden in a field on our base.

When I lived in the Blue Ridge Mountains, I carved a spot onto the side of our hill and grew a few tomatoes and cukes and enjoyed the zinnias.

Here in our condo I have 4 pots of various small things; rosemary, greens, lemongrass; not near what I would like to have. I have read about local community gardens, and I was wondering if anyone has had experience using the one in Wahiawa. When I first saw it, I was sure it was part of Wheeler and belonged to the military families, but now I look longingly over at the green gardens and the mulch piles and wonder if that is a good option to get my gardening fix. I think I'm ready to get in the red mud.

Re: Anybody used a community garden?

I've always wanted to, but move too often to make it sensible, or none are available in my areas.
    I think they should make way more plots available. It's gonna be needed bad real soon.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I've done this here in the past. I've gardened at Makiki District Park and at a little park off near where Cyrus Belt was thrown onto the freeway.

There are pluses and minuses. There are rules. One really odd rule is if you want to get a garden, you have to get on the wait list, AND attend monthly meetings. So it could be years before you get a plot, but you still have to put up with the self-appointed leaders as they strut at the meetings and maybe give you hope. That's what I found at the Foster Gardens community garden. They could give a plot to whomever they want. Some of them had more than one plot. So it's kinda political. I'd like to think it has improved since the early 90s when I did this.

Good luck.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

sorry, haven't used any community gardens. but, if you want to grow some sprouts, go to http://johnnyseeds.com and order the bioset. it's a no brainer for the home gardener (me). just water the seeds 1-2x/day and that's it. i grew chinese red radish, mung beans and broccoli sprouts in 4 days. the unit takes up very little space on your countertop and does not require one to soak the seeds overnight.

today, i just ordered their herb disc collection. complete with pots for $10.95 + shipping and handling along with cress to be grown in the bioset, lemon cucumbers and a lettuce mix.
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

you can also take a plastic sandwich bag, punch a series of small drain holes in it, insert the seeds and water/drain every day. it takes about the same amount of time, it's much cheaper than buying a piece of equipment and works quite well. i haven't done it for quite a while but just talking about it here, i've become inspired and hungry for some really fresh sprouts
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

another person told me you could do it anapuni's way. she said that she goes to down to earth and purchases some of their seeds in the bulk section. don't remember if said that she had to soak the seeds overnight and neither do i remember the assortment she purchased. but, then again, home depot and other stores of the like carry seed packets, too.
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

i think the seeds need to be soaked for overnight but would have to do some research to be certain - i haven't grown sprouts in many years. thanks for letting me know where i can get the seeds.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

We had salad last night from my window garden--very tasty and I keep harvesting. I need to plant a second tray for when this one gives out.

I think after looking more closely to the garden area and calculating the gas it will take to get there several times a week and paying for the plot and worrying about politics and and and .....

I can walk to the farmer's market on Saturdays. If I use that money to buy veggies/fruits there, I will come out ahead. And I can still grow stuff in the window.

The sprouts is a great idea!

Comment

Working...
                X