Scions Go On Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scions Go On Sale

The Scion a subcompact line of cars made by Toyota will go on sale this coming Saturday at Hawaii's local Scion dealers.

From Erika Engle's column in this morning's Star Bulletin:

The Scion, a new youth-targeted brand of Japan-based Toyota Motor Corp., hits the Hawaii market Saturday.

The xA sedan, xB urban utility vehicle and tC two-door coupe will be available at Servco Scion at 2850 Pukoloa St. in Mapunapuna and at Big Island Scion, co-located with the Big Island Toyota at 811 Kanoelehua Ave. in Hilo. A Scion dealership is planned for Maui at some point.

"At this point, we have less than what our market demand is," he said.

Scion dealers will take orders, should the cars sell out immediately.
    This item appears in Erika's Buzz column today which you can read in its entirety at this link..

Anyone have plans on actually purchasing this relatively affordable little compact. I seen these at the last First Hawaiian Auto Show.

Here's a link to the Scion Hawaii website. This is one of those websites that have a flash intro.
    Last edited by mel; July 8, 2004, 05:10 AM. Reason: fix post
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Scions Go On Sale

Hee! I took a few photos myself at that same auto show. It was one of the cars I wanted to see. Oh, how sad and disheartening it was to realize exactly just how far out of the target demographic I was. The things were definitely being marketed to kids - hip-hop loving, pointless glow admiring, loud-music listening kids.

For the boxy look, I guess there's always the Honda Element...

Comment

I'm probably the youngest one here, and I would not buy or drive it. Look at the echo. That was supposed to be aimed to the teens, but all I see is older people driving it. I had to drive it for my driver's ed class, and it had low HP (I could barely keep up with the people on the H2) and the center console was something I had to get used to.

They need to see what teens really want: Power at a cheap price with customization.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

They need to see what teens really want: Power at a cheap price with customization.
        Based on the reaction the Scions got at the car show, I don't think they'll have any problems finding buyers.

Power? The xB has 108 hp rating, which is the same as the Echo. But looks? That's where the Scion is putting its money. Come on. The thing has a cheesy neon glow thing for the gas and brake pedals! Form over function.

Besides... I had no idea the Echo was "aimed at teens," marketing wise. I figure, like the Chevy Aveo (the only car smaller is the Mini), it's just positioned as a small, zippy (not burly), entry-level car. Ideal for teens, from a parent's perspective. Thanks to its just-above-$10,000 price, it might end up a popular choice for a teen's first car (like the Ford Aspire and Festiva before it), but frankly, no one's pretending it's "cool." Just practical.

The price is also the likely reason you'll drive an Echo for a driver's ed class. They're not going to put new drivers behind the wheel of an Acura!

What Scion is doing is aiming for a similar price point, skimping in other areas to pump up the "cool factor." If you had $13,000 to spend, and you had girls (or guys?) to impress, would you drive this, or this? I know the boxy thing might not be everyone's cup of tea, but when your high school has a parking lot full of Tercels and Sentras, sometimes it's enough just to stand out.
        Last edited by pzarquon; July 8, 2004, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          I know the boxy thing might not be everyone's cup of tea, but when your high school has a parking lot full of Tercels and Sentras, sometimes it's enough just to stand out.
          I'm all out for "standing out", but if I want my ride to stand out, literally don't mean it! How tall is it?
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I knew from the first time that I saw the Scions at the First Hawaiian Auto Show, that it is not the kind of car for me. Sure I am price and value sensitive, but the car was too boxy and too small for a guy like me. Plus the way they are being marketed, it is aimed squarely at the younger driver. The models at the show featured all kinds of options that I would not be installing on any car that I would buy. I mean 4 computer screens, neon lighting under the dashboard, fancy wheels and all of that... definitely not for old guys.

Still for the young and young at heart, the Scions may be the perfect ticket. They are made by Toyota and should have a good reputation in the long run to be relatively trouble free and reliable.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
            X