X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet the Press' Tim Russert dies

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/

How incredibly sad.

The Elections just won't be the same without him.
    Last edited by Lei Liko; June 13, 2008, 09:56 AM.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Re: Meet the Press' Tim Russert dies

That's a shock. Only 58. He was a really decent guy.

Comment

This is really sad. Journalism has lost one of its greats. Tim asked the tough questions and was a model of fairness and integrity that others in the media could aspire to emulate. His lifetime of achievement, in a business that has many critics, should serve as inspiration to the many bright and inquisitive young people who may be concerned about the limitations of the mainstream media.

Tim, you were a beacon of light in the search for truth. We will all miss you.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

This does suck. He always had a positive way about him that led me to watch his shows and appreciate his style and commentary.

I wonder who will fill his seat on a permanent basis.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Talk about a guy who was accessible and interesting to watch. I can only imagine the sadness that fills the MSNBC and NBC studios. RIP. Hugs to his family and friends.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Wow! This news brought me to tears and I have no passion for politics. That said, I always found Russert interesting and would stop and listen when I saw him interviewed. He was just such a likable, knowledgeable guy. He was so pumped up over our current Presidential election and I was really looking forward to his commentary in the coming months. Whatta shame he didn't live to experience what this election promises to be. Whatta loss.

More than his political commentary, I really enjoyed listening to him when he was on a promotional tour for his book, "Big Russ and Me". Russert and his dad had such a wonderful relationship. So, so touching.

My condolences to the Russert family. RIP, Tim.

ETA: MSNBC is currently covering this story.
            Last edited by tutusue; June 13, 2008, 01:33 PM.

Comment

What a tremendous shock! Russert was a fabulous political journalist, and in my mind, the only one around who came across as a moderate because he pummeled people from all parties equally hard with his tough questions. His demeanor was such that you instantly liked him, trusted him even. There is no one else like him in the media today. Completely irreplacable.

At least the last memories his family will have will be of their vacation together in Italy.

When I think of Tim Russert, I think of the 2000 election & the board he scribbled on:

* I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
              - Anna Quindlen

Comment

He was the real Fair and Balanced.

Comment

Some comments on Tim Russert's untimely passing.

1) Russert's death comes a mere 6 days following the passing of another broadcasting great, ABC's Jim McKay.

2) Forget about NBC "replacing" Russert. Fact of the matter is that there is no one in the entire industry who could fill his shoes. His so-called rivals (Bob Schieffer/Face The Nation & George Stephanapoulos/This Week) absolutely pale in comparison.

3) With all that said, Meet The Press will carry on. If NBC decides to look for a successor who is currently in-house, it will be interesting to see who they select. Andrea Mitchell and David Gregory immediately come to mind. If the network goes for a more youthful face, there's Chuck Todd.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

NBC had Tom Brokaw make the announcement of Russert's death. I hope they dont try and grab someone like Mike Wallace's son over from Faux News. Is Cokie Roberts still with ABC?

Longtime sports announcer Charlies Jones died yesterday too.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      NBC had Tom Brokaw make the announcement of Russert's death. I hope they dont try and grab someone like Mike Wallace's son over from Faux News.
                      Funny you should mention that. I was just thinking Chris Wallace is perhaps one of the only television reporters in the business (and the only real journalist at Fox News) who comes close to Tim Russert.

Listen to Wallace hammer his own fellow co-hosts in a tense exchange over their coverage of Barack Obama. This guy has a lot of balls! He’s asked McCain the tough questions as well.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                        NBC had Tom Brokaw make the announcement of Russert's death. I hope they dont try and grab someone like Mike Wallace's son over from Faux News. Is Cokie Roberts still with ABC?

Longtime sports announcer Charlies Jones died yesterday too.

Aj
                        Death came in three with the passing of three great broadcasters in Jim McKay, Tim Russert, and Charlie Jones.

I remember the play by play voice of Charlie Jones during the San Diego Chargers' Dan Fouts/ Air Coryell era on NBC. The term he used that sticks out for me is, "Five on the pattern" describing the organized chaos pass pattern of the Chargers. That was the pre-June Jones type of passing offense on every down. Another memory is the call he made during the Olympics in Seoul of the 100 meter dash between Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson. He sounded like he couldn't believe what he just saw.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          Funny you should mention that. I was just thinking Chris Wallace is perhaps one of the only television reporters in the business (and the only real journalist at Fox News) who comes close to Tim Russert.

Listen to Wallace hammer his own fellow co-hosts in a tense exchange over their coverage of Barack Obama. This guy has a lot of balls! He’s asked McCain the tough questions as well.
                          I missed that. Good for Chris. I thought he had changed when he went to Faux news perhaps not. He was a moderator on NBC's Meet the Press many years ago, he most certainly has the experience to do the show.

Aj

Comment

Chris Wallace hosting Meet the Press again? It's a "been there, done that" situation, if you ask me.

Frankly speaking, MTP had started to become passe and irrelevant prior to Tim Russert becoming the host. During the 1980s, there were a series of hosts who were less than dynamic in the role. Roger Mudd, Marvin Kalb, Garrick Utley, and yes, Chris Wallace all had less than memorable tenures on MTP. To me, Wallace is a reminder of what was a very lackluster era for the show.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                              Chris Wallace hosting Meet the Press again? It's a "been there, done that" situation, if you ask me.
                              Normally, I would agree with this conclusion, but this is an Election Year. Perhaps the most important in several decades.

NBC cannot afford to have an Andrea Mitchell or David Gregory, as you have suggested, fill Russert’s role. Neither of these individuals are particularly well known for doing their homework, their tenacity or infallibility — Russert’s three most important trademarks. And Chuck Todd is NBC’s political director, filling a crucial role that would be hampered by him having to also host Meet the Press. Look what happened to Dan Rather when he tried to multi-task between 60 Minutes and the CBS Evening News.

I think you should take another look at Chris Wallace. He has become a much more dynamic presence since leaving NBC, while like his father, winning several awards along the way.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                              X