The pain of rubber trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pain of rubber trees

I've been fighting those darn rubber trees for the last year and they just keep coming back and growing. Does anyone have any good tricks how to keep them away from our yard? Also, we have a couple of big dead rubber tree stumps....what's the best way to have them go away without having to dig up all the roots? Is there any chemical?

Thanks!

Re: The pain of rubber trees

i'm pretty sure we drilled a hole in the stump and used round up to kill it. we still ended up pulling out what was left of our rubber tree. you might want to contact the garden department at home depot for some advice.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Yes, that what we did as well but although it's not growing anymore we still have that big 'ol stump there. Someone told me there is something you can drill and pour into the stump that helps the decomposition. I guess I can get it at Home Depot. Does anyone have experience with that kind of stuff? I'm curious if it works and how fast it will decompose?

I still haven't found a way to keep those darn rubber trees out of our yard. They even grow on our rocks and within our money trees. Crazy!!

Comment

does that mean you have "rubber money"? lol.

i believe these trees are considered an invasive species.

sorry, haven't tried anything that would aid in decomposition.
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
          Also, we have a couple of big dead rubber tree stumps....what's the best way to have them go away without having to dig up all the roots? Is there any chemical?
          The product you are looking for is called Grants Stump Remover, active ingredient potassium nitrate AKA nitrates of potash AKA saltpeter.

It accelerates the destruction of tree stumps by providing a lot of nitrogen for the bacteria living in the wood. More nutrients lead to more bacteria and therefore more rapid decomposition of the stump by bacterial metabolism.

You can kinda hollow out the top of the stump and place hot bbq briquettes in the little puka you made and that will help 'burn out' the stump. A little diesel aids in the process. Never use gasoline!!!

Or.......................

After you burned the stump a bit and added the potassium nitrate, you can place plants in the holes/puka you drilled. The burning combined with the decomposition of the trunk will provide nutrients for whatever you decided to put in there. Never have to fertilize.
          You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

We are using some "stump remover" right now. In a month's time it has turned the stump a dead brown.

As a comparison there is also a second stump from a tree that we cut down at the same time, but we ran out of stump remover before treating that stump. The untreated stump has sprouted new branches.

So I'd say that the stump remover has killed the stump. But not enough time has passed to see if it actually aides in removing the stump.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Or if you have high hopes, you can see if an ant will come and move the rubber tree plant.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                does that mean you have "rubber money"? lol.
                ROFLMAO! Das funny!
                Gun powder. Wait till 12 o'clock New Year's Eve. Bore a hole, fill it with a pound of black powder, add really long fuse, pack it good and tight with newspaper, light the fuse and drive like heck to the other side of the island.

Well, it's what they do in the rural areas on the mainland. Your neighbors, HPD and HFD probably won't find it amusing atall.

Comment

Today I checked on the stump we used the "stump remover" on. Dead as can be. Does not look any "smaller" nor dissolved yet, but time will tell.
                  Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Weren't the branches of rubber trees used for whipping troublemaking kids before lawsuits?

Comment

Working...
                    X