We saw Wayne Gabaylo perform in Waikiki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We saw Wayne Gabaylo perform in Waikiki

Our family was in Waikiki over the 4th of July weekend. We had the pleasure of watching Wayne Gabaylo's spray paint performance outside of Burger King in King's Village (3 shows every night except mon/fri starting at 8:30). My eldest daughter was so inspired, she wanted to hand her tip to Wayne himself instead of just dropping it into his tip jar. You have to keep in mind she's very shy.

Even though he uses cans of spray paint, he achieves a lot of fine detail through the creative use of common household objects. You need to be patient while watching because it takes him about 20 minutes to craft a piece and it looks like a random mess until the last 2 minutes. He does a decent job of keeping people entertained during the whole thing, but it can get a bit boring at times (since our society is spoiled with instant gratification). One guy made a sarcastic remark during the show, but cowards like that have never put something of themselves out there for other people to criticize. If you watch Wayne's performance, be patient, and you will be rewarded.

Here's a link to his website, where you can see his paintings. If you like to be surprised, skip the links and just catch his show.

His website
    A time lapse video produced by Brice Van Baren
    Random videos of his performance on YouTube

He does free performances for local schools, to spread an anti-graffiti message and inspire the kids. He definitely inspired mines.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: We saw Wayne Gabaylo perform in Waikiki

Wayne's a Waipahu High grad. He and his brother (Greg) used to have a juggling act when they were in school and they made numerous appearances on the TV show, Filipino Fiesta.

Wayne's very modest about his talent. Always tells folks that his technique was discovered "by accident," which may be true. But no doubt it took a lot of experimentation and dedication to refine his work. And as Joe alluded to, he's very generous with his time when it comes to performing at school assemblies. In fact, I sometimes think he's too generous, readily giving up so much of his time that could otherwise be used to expand his gallery and promote his own work. But that's Wayne for you.

And yes, if you haven't seen Wayne in action at King's Village, do yourself a favor and check it out. There's nothing like seeing a masterpiece being developed right before your eyes.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: We saw Wayne Gabaylo perform in Waikiki

Thanks for the extra background info, Frankie. I'm glad another HT'er has seen him. I think Wayne is very brave to perform live, considering how much patience is required from the audience. There's a cool picture of him and Carlos Santana, in his gallery.
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
      X