Sexy liquids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexy liquids

Peter Schafrick is a commercial photographer who makes milk and motor oil look damn sexy. Check out his portfolio.

Here he has white paint licking a rose:

"By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Sexy liquids

wow those were cool! I especially liked the hockey one cause well... I like hockey

Quite the photography nut ya? I'm just an amateur getting my feet wet with the stuff. So far so good.
    -kp!

Comment

I didn't get it - just navel fuzz to me.
      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
        I especially liked the hockey one
        He had great timing; snapping a shot while the puck and stick were near but before their paints messed each other's smooth lines. I wonder what kind of camera he used. Continuous shooting or amazingly timed single shot.

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
        I didn't get it - just navel fuzz to me.
        Hold on to that, cuz 3 more bits and you'll have a tree
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "

Comment

I'm betting he used continuous super high speed film, and then just went over them frame by frame until he saw something that would work.

Amazing work, since these are visions you just never see with the naked eye. I'd love to hear his thought process when he wants to set up a shot....trying to figure out what to splash on what to get a good picture. Better yet, I'd love to see the pictures that were tossed on the developing room floor. There HAD to be some combinations that just didn't work

DD
          www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
            I'd love to hear his thought process when he wants to set up a shot....trying to figure out what to splash on what to get a good picture.
            Totally. I'd be willing to be his unpaid water boy for a day, just to see how he works.

What amazes me is how clean the solid objects are, which interact with the liquids. What I mean is after one take, there must be a huge mess. Does he have to clean all his props spotless before trying again? If so, that takes a lot of dedication and patience.

Maybe he practices a lot with dirty props, until he can get reliable results. Then he goes for it with spotless ones.
            "

Comment

I'm betting he used continuous super high speed film, and then just went over them frame by frame until he saw something that would work.
              Yeah, I think you're right, DiverDown. My pictures of the kids wouldn't be half as good if I didn't have continuous shooting as a crutch.
              "

Comment

Wow! Fabulous photography. His advertising portfolio is amazing. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Susane Schmitt wrote an article about Peter in Victor by Hasselblad magazine. Access is free, but you need to register. Here's a recap of the interesting info I learned from Susane's article:

Peter was born in 1963, so that makes him 45'ish. The cool thing is he didn't start off as a photographer. He had a corporate job for 15 years until a friend introduced him to photography in 1999. The next year he quit his job and plowed all his savings into photography, at the age of 37. He had worked in the tech biz, and if he cashed out his options just before the dot-com bust, he probably banked. Regardless, he paid his dues for 3 years before his first work was published in a local newspaper. 3 years after that he won a Black and White Spider Award.

For you gear heads, Peter uses a medium format Hasselblad H2 with a CF-39MS digital multi-shot back piece and a 50-110mm lens. I think his camera costs at least $40K. He says going digital is vital for his style of photography, because he needs the instant feedback.

It takes him about 10 attempts to get the shot he wants, but he likes to continue experimenting and does up to 50 tries. The choice of liquid and the container used to throw it from makes a difference. His favorite container is a plastic Ferro Rocher box. He admits he's not above digitally layering multiple shots, but he doesn't edit any fine details.

That's fine by me. Photography is artificial to begin with. I love his finished product.
                  Last edited by MyopicJoe; July 17, 2008, 10:09 PM.
                  "

Comment

Purty!

I liked the tennis-racket one most.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      I liked the tennis-racket one most.
                      I'm still trying to imagine how he created that shot. The tentacles of paint are only on one side of the racket. It's like he swung it from left to right, through a glob of paint hanging in the air, but the the tennis ball bouncing off the racket implies the it was swinging from right to left.

I'm sure the technique is very simple, if we got a chance to see him do it.
                      "

Comment

I'm betting he used continuous super high speed film
                        Actually, he's most likely using extremely low-speed film, or if in the case of digital, using a very low ISO. In order to freeze liquid like that, it requires very skilled use of strobes (see Edgerton's milk droplets, or bullets bursting balloons/apples).

Comment

I just had to post so that 'dick' was under 'sexy liquids' any more.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

>.<

rotfl
                            "

Comment

Working...
                            X