Thank you for being a friend, RIP Estelle Getty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you for being a friend, RIP Estelle Getty

Estelle Getty, known as Sophia on the Golden Girls will no longer be threatened with a trip back to Shady Pines.

May she rest in peace.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Re: Thank you for being a friend, RIP Estelle Getty

Such a wonderful actress and Sophia was a great character. Rue McClanahan was on the Today Show this morning but that must've been right before Estelle passed. I loved The Golden Girls.

Comment

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...633ceeb20c9650

I looooooved Estelle!!!!!
      Saturday Nights on KHON Channel 2 which was NBC at the time I was tuned into the Golden Girls! Those were the days...... Outside of GG I also thought she was awesome in "Mannequin" as for that movie she did w/ Stallone was a MISTAKE

Anyways she will be missed by me and when I saw her on TV recently she well did not look like herself anymore and sad to read according the link that she was going downhill as of 2000.

R.I.P. Ma!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Such a wonderful actress and Sophia was a great character. Rue McClanahan was on the Today Show this morning but that must've been right before Estelle passed. I loved The Golden Girls.
        I don't remember too much of this, but I recall Ala Moana had a bunch of NBC stars for an autograph signing one day. Jackee Harry and Estelle Getty were there. Rue McClanahan was supposed to be there too, but she had the flu. I can't remember how old I was, but I do remember getting my picture taken with Estelle Getty and also getting an autographed photo. I remember being so shocked as to how "young" she looked versus how she looked when she was Sophia. Does anyone else remember this?

"May your marinara never stick to your pasta!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
          [...]I remember being so shocked as to how "young" she looked versus how she looked when she was Sophia. Does anyone else remember this?[...]
          I don't remember the Ala Moana gig but Estelle was definitely younger than her character. AAMOF, she was younger than Bea Arthur, and she played Bea's mother!!!

Golden Girls aired from '85-'92. Here are photos of Estelle and Bea taken within a couple of years of each other during the late 1980s. The GG make-up dept. earned it's pay!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:EstelleGetty2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bea_Arthur_87.jpg

(Shoots...I can't get the image tags to work so that the photos are posted instead of the links...sorry.)

Comment

In the GG cast, Betty White was the oldest. Then followed by Bea Arthur. Then Estelle. Rue McClanahan was the "baby" of the cast, being some 12 years younger than Betty.

Hard to believe, but Estelle's "Sophia" character was originally supposed to make occasional appearances only. But she proved to be so popular that she not only was promoted to being a regular cast member, but many of the episodes revolved around her.

She will be missed.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Golden Girls with Rue McClanahan and Bea Arthur was sort of a "Maude" reunion of sorts. Hard to believe 30 years after "Maude" left the airwaves the entire general cast is still alive (Bill Macy, Conrad Bain, Adrienne Barbeau) and well.

I enjoyed Golden Girls, ironic "Cocoon" the movie came out same year as the series, you were able to see seniors or those approaching that age do and say things on television that they never did before. It was groundbreaking in that aspect. When I was in high school the show was popular and I had the fortune to hear one of the producers speak at my high school it was inspiring to me. Estelle Getty was a classic comic actress who was a late bloomer in the business, she will be missed!

Aj

Comment

This was my brother and my favorite show growing up. We used to watch it on Saturday nights whenever we'd go stay with my grandparents.

Then in college (1997), I had a funny moment. I was flipping through channels and Golden Girls was on Lifetime, so I started watching and about 10 minutes later, not only had my roommates came in and started watching with me, so had our neighbors and it just so happened to be a GG marathon so we sat around watching it for 3 hours! This is when I realized that it was ok to like a show about a bunch of old ladies because before this moment, my parents had made my brother and I think we were the only kids who liked this show (they weren't fans ).

I remember when my brother and I found out she wore a wig as Sophia. We thought we were so cool because we knew that...

Comment

I love watching the Golden Girls too. May you rest in peace Estelle! Thanks for the laughter.
                  Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Bea Arthur, Rue McClanahan and Betty White all no-shows at Estelle's funeral this weekend.

Guess they had other plans or something. Heard some in the cast did not get along. Assume Rue and Bea got along fine, working on two hit shows together.

Aj

Comment

It is rather striking that all 3 fellow cast members were no-shows at Estelle's funeral.

But it should also be noted all of them are getting up there in age. Remember that Betty and Bea are older than Estelle, so their health could have been an issue.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        It is rather striking that all 3 fellow cast members were no-shows at Estelle's funeral.

But it should also be noted all of them are getting up there in age. Remember that Betty and Bea are older than Estelle, so their health could have been an issue.
                        It might be harder for them to travel at their ages, but far as I know they all live in Southern California I've seen all of them on television within the past month as well. Bea Arthur is still active doing theater I think.

Jean Stapleton did not attend Carroll O'Connor's funeral a few years back but she had a theater engagement she felt she did not want to dissappoint fans by failing to attend.

Aj

Comment

Rue McClanahan and Bea Arthur explained to Inside Edition why they weren't at the funeral. No word from Betty White.

As an aside, I know a couple who used to write for Golden Girls and they said that in over a decade in the business, Betty White was the worst-behaved celebrity they ever worked with. That is a bold claim, considering they used to write for Roseanne, too!
                          Last edited by Tiabla; July 28, 2008, 02:45 PM. Reason: Pronoun maintenance

Comment

Originally posted by Tiabla View Post
                            Rue McClanahan and Bea Arthur explained to Inside Edition why they weren't at the funeral. No word from Betty White.

As an aside, I know a couple who used to write for Golden Girls and they said that in over a decade in the business, Betty White was the worst-behaved celebrity they ever worked with. That is a bold claim, considering they used to write for Roseanne, too!
                            You know, I first thought that it was in poor taste that the 3 surviving Golden Girls were no-shows at Estelle's funeral, but once I saw that Inside Edition transcript, I realized that everyone chooses to grieve in their own way. I've missed funerals and services for friends and family over the years, mostly because I knew I could not sit through tributes, goodbyes, and what have you without being a mess -- so I chose to grieve in private.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiabla View Post
                              [...]
                              Oh...wow...I'm disappointed to have my Betty White balloon burst! In all the decades I've been in the business I never heard any rumors of her behavior, good, bad or indifferent. Because of that, she's been one of my fave actresses, more for her personality than anything else. I thought she was just so, darned cute! It's kinda hard to ignore the front row observations of 2 GG writers. Time for me to reassess my now misspent adoration!

Comment

Working...
                              X