Gardening in Hawaii - tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardening in Hawaii - tips?

Hi! We finally got our garden going! The plants are mostly turning out nice and strong. We tried 3 times to grow veggies since we moved in here in May, and the first two gardens died pretty quickly. So, we learned from a few mistakes. But this one must live!!

We planted several types of peppers and tomatos, Maui onions, eggplants, artichokes, 3 types of lettuce, spinach, turnips, carrots, lemongrass, and green onions. And papayas.

Now there's flowers on the tomato plants, and a teeny tiny tomato!

Which has turned me into an overprotective parent.

Now I'm worried that bugs will eat it before I get to!

What can I do to proactively protect my plant? This is my first vegetable garden. I don't know what to look for, as far as symptoms of problems. Or bugs. Or birds.

Anyone have any tips to share about how to help your garden plants, especially things related to gardening in Hawaii?
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: Gardening in Hawaii - tips?

For the 'spreader' veggies like tomatoes, try the up-side-down style that can now be found en-mass on a google search. I tried it last year with limited success.
    The Navy has another cool way to grow aboard ships, with the stalk growing up inside vertical PVC piping with 1/4" holes drilled for the 'arms' to poke out, and this allowed for close planting and easy pickin's.
    These methods should work for many different types of vine veggies.
    Bon appetite!
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Snail!! Tonight I found a giant snail with a pretty shell. Is that good or bad?

Comment

Snail bad. Snail will eat your tender shoots and leaves and buds. Was it an african snail?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achatina_fulica

Try Bug-Geta to get rid of the snails or, if you no like, then just pick up the snails and snail eggs and dispose of them

Comment

Snails, particularly the African variety, are my personal garden demons! We use Corey's Slug Bait in the powdery formula. The thing is, we have a lot, thanks to lots of leaves on the ground and lots of shrubbery. When we do a slug and snail genocide, the yard stinks and you've got flies for a while. After a day in the sun it's best to sweep up the dried-up suckahs so you can enjoy your yard again!
          Last edited by lavagal; July 28, 2008, 08:50 PM.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Beer Trap

This non-pesticide method is kind of gross, but it works.

Take an empty large can (like a coffee can), dig a hole and bury it up to the rim in the garden, near where the snails and slugs are a problem. Then pour in a few generous inches of beer. Real beer (not watery light beer). During the night, the snails and slugs are attracted to the beer and enter into the can and drown.

Now for the gross part, in the morning the can has a little circus of drowned or drowning critters. You have to pull out the can and empty the contents, and then repeat it again with fresh beer.

I used to do it every day in my orchid house. It works, but takes a strong stomach.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Ewwww. It was an African snail. I should've tossed it 3 yards down when I had the chance.

Comment

we use tuna cans with beer in them. less beer, which to me, is an important factor. haha.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                  we use tuna cans with beer in them. less beer, which to me, is an important factor. haha.
                  I never tried a small can, because I had thought that the snails would be able to crawl out. Guess a drunk snail will drown in 1" of beer, regardless of the size of the can? Sort of like a drunk passed out in a gutter with 1" of water can drown?
                  Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

there are many organic and/or natural products out there, too. if you are going to go this route, it takes a lot of vigilance for pest control and soil amendment/fertilizers.

i've had success with these: baby bells, tomatoes (beefsteaks), green onions, lettuce, oregano and mint. of course there's the MANGOES and GUAVAS that i don't eat.

relatively good success with: jalapeno peppers, two different cukes, asian eggplants and basil.

little success: bananas

no success: different types of herbs.

trying again: papayas, habanero and banana peppers.

and, do try the beer for the snails. it does work. my neighbor across the street as a different idea on controlling them: when found, toss them into the street. ick. no matter the method you choose, it's nasty.
                    Last edited by kani-lehua; July 31, 2008, 03:42 PM.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    reflect, repent and reboot.
                    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I've had good luck with -
                      cherry tomatoes
                      beefsteak tomatoes
                      genoa basil
                      sweet basil
                      thyme
                      oregano
                      cuban oregano
                      rosemary
                      parsley
                      guava
                      habanero peppers

bad luck with -
                      pineapple
                      hawaiian peppers (keep getting eaten)
                      bell peppers

We don't really do much other than water the garden when needed, put chicken wire cages over the tomato plants to keep off the birds, and stake the basil plants so they don't fall over.
                      What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post

bad luck with -
                        pineapple
                        hawaiian peppers (keep getting eaten)
                        bell peppers
                        Hi there. What happened with your pineapples? Did you buy plants or try start from the top of ones you ate? I buy them to eat, cut off tops and root them. Still waiting to get blossoms and fruits.

Also, sorry, what are Hawaiian peppers? Hot peppers? Thank you for your help.

barb

Comment

Actually the bad luck with the pineapples is really just my lack of patience. We've had the same pineapple that we planted about 8 months ago and it still never has born fruit. Are they supposed to take that long?? The Hawaiian chili peppers are hot peppers that I unfortunately have not had a chance to taste yet. Some buggah eats em before I ever get a chance.
                          What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Two words. "Ruth Stout"
                            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I used to rent an apt off McCulley on many of my visits to Oahu. I worked there for a few months at a time and have several friends who live there.

They tell me that the heavy rains have washed a lot of the pesticides from the golf course and other green areas into the canal. Of course, I used to cross the bridge there every day, look down at the canoe club and then carry on for my breakfast to the International market.

I am informed that the fishermen I used to see trying their luck in the canal have now moved on as it has become dead.
                              Will somebody tell me it has improved ?

Comment

Working...
                              X