Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else watch Samadhi & Makana perform at Live on the Lawn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else watch Samadhi & Makana perform at Live on the Lawn?

Never having heard of the Hawaii State Art Museum, First Friday, or Live on the Lawn; I was pleasantly surprised by the monthly event. It made me wish I had a better camera, a better camcorder, and more skill. Luckily you don't need any of that to enjoy the living art.

The home grown aerial acrobatics group Samadhi twisted up and spun down ribbons of silk, which flowed from the branches of ancient trees to touch the earth. Without a doubt, countless hours of training have earned these performers the strength and flexibility to make the difficult look easy. Crowds gathered outside of the fence to watch their graceful dance, and inspired children spun and twirled in between performances.

Instead of recorded music, local boy Makana accompanied the aerial dancers with music coaxed from his slack key guitar. The collaboration between local artists worked very well. Makana was charming and caught the eye of a few of young ladies. One tourist asked me who the guitarist was, and I had to admit I didn't know (I learned Makana's name later from a flyer). The fellah who occasionally performed with Makana (sorry, I didn't catch his name) had a t-shirt with working equalizer LEDs.

The cute little girls from The Dance Space opened the evening's performances. Perhaps we witnessed the baby steps of a future professional artist. A juggler (Loco Moco) and stilt walkers, sporting iridescent blue costumes, entertained the children with balloons and ribbons. Apparently jazz artists were performing on the second floor of the museum at the same time.

I serendipitously struck up a conversation with an couple from Oregon, who were celebrating their 25th anniversary. We had an interesting and wide ranging conversation; from parenting, to Nike (apparently Oregon is the mecca of track & field), traveling Tango teachers, and cheese.

All in all a pleasant night, minus the false fire alarm which threatened to cancel the event early. The first friday of every month. I recommend you check it out. Glad I did.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Anyone else watch Samadhi & Makana perform at Live on the Lawn?

I've finally uploaded my first YouTube video. I feel all grows up! Be sure to watch it in high quality (the option is under the Views counter). My amateur video can use all the help it can get

Here's another video of a solo Samadhi performer.

Here's a group performance from First Friday / Live on the Lawn. Looks like they used a better low light camera than I did. They also had all their camera settings squared away from the beginning; unlike myself, who tweaked things during the performance

Here's someone's photos from the same event.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "

Comment

Re: Anyone else watch Samadhi & Makana perform at Live on the Lawn?

I finally tracked down the name of the dancer in my video. The director of Samadhi, Andrea Torres, was kind enough to put me in contact with her, so I could add her name and a little quote to my video description. Makana also took the time to detail the song he sang in my video, even though he had a slack key festival to attend in Kona the next day. A nice bunch of people, who apparently have been friends for a while.

A few articles about the artists:
      http://www.hikimail.com/publish/hsfc...730newsletter/
      http://www.midweek.com/content/story...story/samadhi/
      http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=7862922
      "

Comment

Working...
      X