Wash water for plants/grass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wash water for plants/grass

I kind of remember seeing/hearing something about recycling washing machine water to water plants and grass.
    I use Tide laundry detergent.
    Has anyone any information on this?????

Re: Wash water for plants/grass

Originally posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I kind of remember seeing/hearing something about recycling washing machine water to water plants and grass.
    I remember long long long ago in eighth grade Ecology class that the phospates in laundry detergent is good for plants.

Comment

Originally posted by abunaitoo View Post
      I heard someone once asked a plumber to hook up his washing machine to a home made irrigation system, so that he could water his lawn with the rinse water. He was told that was against C&C code. I haven't researched it, so I'm not positive.

Comment

Just be sure if you do this [not to code] diversion of water, you do NOT hook it up so that the wash water is draining next to your house. That is, unless you want to invite ground termites. One of the major reasons that ground termites target a house is the availability of water close by, such as [non-code] draining washer water.
        Ditto for putting plants in a garden right up against the house. If you do, you might as well put up a "welcome ground termite" sign, too.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

The most recent salmonella scare, involving jalepenos and serranos from Mexico, was concluded to be the result of gray water, or reused water, used for irrigation. I'd say be careful.

I do reuse water from washing vegetables, and sometimes I use water for cooking a lot of hardboiled eggs or potatoes for some of my potted vegetable plants.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
            The most recent salmonella scare, involving jalepenos and serranos from Mexico, was concluded to be the result of gray water, or reused water, used for irrigation. I'd say be careful.
            "Gray water" is a euphemism for sewage treatment water. It is the fecal matter in industrial gray water that causes the problems.

But many homeowners casually use the term gray water to mean the water from a washing machine, which is safe for watering a flower garden (but I'd not be using it on my vegetable garden or fruit trees, as there might be other additions to the wash water which are harmful to tender edible plants, like bleach).
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Thanks to all.
              I think I'll try it next time. Water a small spot in the corner someplace.

Comment

Working...
              X