Wood floor for patio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood floor for patio?

We have quite a big patio that currently is covered with an outside carpet. It has withstood rain and sun for many many years. Well, it's actually quite ugly and I want to put down a wood floor. We have engineered Mahogany in our living room and I've seen many pictures with houses that have wood floors on their patio.

This is the thing: We live on the mountain in Kaneohe so the weather can take a beating on ones house. About 1/3 of the patio gets hit by sunlight sometime during the day and about 1/5 gets rain on it whenever it rains, which is quite often in Kaneohe.

What type of wood should I go with? Are there special weather proofed woods?

Does any other member here have wood on their outside patio? What are your suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: Wood floor for patio?

what about some sort of decking type material or slate? some other type of natural stone?
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
      what about some sort of decking type material or slate? some other type of natural stone?
      Thanks for your response. We have considered stone but we wanted something softer than natural stone. Wood is both beautiful and the softest material (to my knowledge) other than carpet.

Comment

We had a wooden deck when we first moved in. It was trashed as we live in Iolaka'a valley in Kaneohe and wood was the last thing we wanted to replace with. We ended up with Eon which is a great synthetic that replicates wood quite nicely and we don't have to worry about falling through in years to come!

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
          We had a wooden deck when we first moved in. It was trashed as we live in Iolaka'a valley in Kaneohe and wood was the last thing we wanted to replace with. We ended up with Eon which is a great synthetic that replicates wood quite nicely and we don't have to worry about falling through in years to come!
          I've never heard of Eon so I'll check it out. We don't have to worry about falling through because our patio has a concrete foundation.

Comment

Btw, what's the pricing on Eon. We have a deck that is entirely in wood that is falling apart and will need a replacement. I see that Eon makes more than just flooring.

Comment

Also consider Trex decking. It's a composite material made of wood and plastic fibers that is much more durable than natural wood. It comes in a variety of styles with wood grain finish, etc. Most of the local lumber yards carry it.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm a little hesitant to use synthetic materials. I like the natural look and feel. For example, I prefer wood floor to laminate, wood fencing to vinyl fencing, etc. I'm always open to suggestions though so I'll take a look.

Thanks again!

Comment

My eon looks very much like wood I considered Trex but liked the look of eon better - I've a friend who has Trex don't really like the look of the deck.
                  I don't remember how much it cost we got it through Wayne's Lumber in Kaneohe. This was about 3 or 4 years ago, it has held up well and looks
                  great and does not get real slippery when wet.

Comment

for me, i wouldn't even consider wood for the patio due to the rain. the sun? well, that may not be a problem. maybe you could "waterproof" by using thompson's water seal? you'd probably have to sand and reseal over the years.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
                      Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm a little hesitant to use synthetic materials. I like the natural look and feel. For example, I prefer wood floor to laminate, wood fencing to vinyl fencing, etc. I'm always open to suggestions though so I'll take a look.

Thanks again!
                      Unless you can extend your roof or weatherproof the patio, I'd suggest looking into composite, stone, ceramic or even sheet vinyl. Btw, the vinyl also comes in "planks" for that wood floor look. Something we're considering as we have an active child and dogs.

Although you say only a small portion of the patio is exposed either to rain or sunshine, that small portion is going to experience damage and it will ruin the look of the entire floor. I've seen flooring as you would like in expensive beachside homes and I gotta say they were not pretty. Mind you the damage was limited to only small portions of the patios, but there was degraded finishes, discoloration or fading, cracking and warping, shrinkage, bug damage, water damage, dry rot, on and on. The owners simply couldn't keep up with the maintainence.

There is no ideal wood for your planned application. Also, you can't just plop down a wood floor over a concrete slab. You have to also consider air circulation between the wood flooring and the concrete or use a moisture guard of some type over the concrete. If you have the resources and time to keep up with maintainence, then the sky's the limit.

Comment

sounds like one would have to invest a lot of time, money and maintenance.

we live a block from the beach and corrosion is a problem. while that might not directly apply to amagab's situation, one must consider the elements. we could/would never install wood in our patio for that reason and because of the sand and dogs. the entire house including the patio is tiled.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        order shall return."

Comment

We used to live across from The Valley of The Temples and installed outdoor redwood decking. Thompson's and all, it still turned grey and got totally weathered. I'd hate to see someone spend big bucks on beautiful wood flooring only to have a few small weathered areas make the rest look like crap.

Up here in the central area, we bought 2 wood park benches, polyurethaned the wood and both fell apart inside a year and a half. Wood just turned black and rotted away. I kept the iron sides in hopes of finding composite bench slats. I've seen them around, just don't know who sells them nor have I looked. Eh, one of these days. Way too much other stuff with priority right now.

Comment

come to think of it, we thompson water sealed our redwood gates and they are all weathered as well. i was thinking just the other day to paint the darn things. eh, i dunno? some people like a weathered look for their fences/gates.
                            "chaos reigns within.
                            order shall return."

Comment

Yes, redwood is what our current deck is made out of and although it looks like crap now it's been holding up for almost 30 years. Redwood rocks!!! Too bad it's so expensive and hard to get.

If we had no kids I would use a lot more natural stone but our kids run around too much and hit hear noggin quite often so I'd like something softer.

Comment

Working...
                              X