Russia trumps China's fireworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia trumps China's fireworks

The bombs will be a fallin' in little ol' Ossetia, while the world cheers for their athletes during the Olympics. Those sly little Ruskies.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Russia trumps China's fireworks

A CNN reporter today (sorry I missed her name) reported that Mr. Bush's assertions in his White House statement on the Russia-Georgia War were 180 from the Pentagon's beliefs--Bush, that Russia intended to bomb the Tblisi Airport, depose the democratically elected government, and occupy territory, and the Pentagon, that Russia did not intend to bomb or depose or occupy. The Little Boy Who Cried Wolf comes to mind. Didn't they play this script on intelligence about Iraqi WMD's? Its irritating, Bush could be completely right. Yet with his track record of lying in order to start wars, how can one believe him now?

There is worldwide protest against the Russian incursion. Big deal. There was a story about Stalin being told that the Pope objected to the Soviet Army occupying Poland after WW2, to which Stalin replied, "How many divisions has the Pope?" Nobody was going to kick the Soviets out of Poland, what can the world do to motivate Russia to leave Georgia if they don't want to?

Comment

Russia knows that America foolishly over-extended its military in Iraq. It's no secret that our soldiers are exhausted and getting tired of being re-deployed. It's also no secret that the American people don't want to be further burdened with the cost of more yet another war.

So Russia is now taking advantage of America's inability to respond to aggression and making territorial claims by force. Without the might of the American military, who else is capable of willing to stop them?

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
        The bombs will be a fallin' in little ol' Ossetia, while the world cheers for their athletes during the Olympics. Those sly little Ruskies.
        the bombs were from Georgia not russia

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
          what can the world do to motivate Russia to leave Georgia if they don't want to?
          Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
          Russia knows that America foolishly over-extended its military in Iraq.
          Yeah. Our military is pretty much spent.

I wonder if the Georgians were hoping America would back them up with fighters. From what little I read, it seems most people didn't expect Russia to have such a big response. There wasn't a noticeable buildup of troops, which would have given America time to shuffle resources if they wanted to. Doesn't look like we have a carrier group in the Med. The Nimitz group is protecting the Olympics I suppose we could fly planes out of Iraq and over Turkey, if they'd let us. No clue how practical that would be.

Anyways, I doubt America would attack Russian troops. Georgia's on their own.

Originally posted by Hi Tone View Post
          the bombs were from Georgia not russia
          Got any interesting links for us?

From this one, it seems arty shells were being fired from Russian controlled portions of South Ossetia and landing within Georgian controlled portions, some perhaps in Georgia itself.

On the BBC I read an interesting bit about Russia assigning passports to people in South Ossetia, turning them into Russian "citizens", thereby justifying their invasion.

Hmm, looks like Russia is pushing deeper into Georgia. They're zerg rushing Georgia's natural xpan! (obscure Starcraft joke). Russia is claiming they need to create a buffer zone to protect South Ossetia.

Russia is going for the gold, baby!
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "

Comment

I just realized my "U.S. planes over Turkey to help Georgia" idea might be full of crack. I dunno if we could gain enough air superiority to prevent unacceptable losses. The conflict is right at Russia's border.

I suppose we could play the stealth card, but I think Russia has respectable radar systems. I'm sure they would love to fine tune their gear against our stealth technology.
            "

Comment

Russia vs Georgia? Who should US side?

Georgia have been an ally of US, and so is Russia.

Russia have ceased air and ground strike in South Ossetia. US have yet to confirmed the cease-fire.

Russia have drafted a peace plan that would allow them to occupy the breakaway regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia. France's President Sarkozy flew to Russia to support/endorse Russia's peace plan.

So, should US support Russia and their peace plan, or help Georgia instead?
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Re: Russia vs Georgia? Who should US side?

Who has the most oil? Isn't that the primary determining factor for U.S. foreign policy these days?

(I wish I were kidding.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Who has the most oil? Isn't that the primary determining factor for U.S. foreign policy these days?

(I wish I were kidding.)
                  That depends. Did Russia finally reached near the North Pole where the largest oil resource is supposedly located?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                    That depends. Did Russia finally reached near the North Pole where the largest oil resource is supposedly located?
                    Not yet, as far as we know. The footage of them planting an undersea flag in the north Arctic was purportedly faked.

Georgia has the pipelines from the Caspian Sea, but a couple of them have been shut down during the recent conflict.

Comment

It seems Carl Rove was vacationing in the Crimea around the middle of July, that would be a few weeks before our friend Georgia attacked Russian peace keepers in Ossetia. What an unusual place to vacation. I am sure it is very interesting. And only a quick hop away from Georgia. What is their game?
                      Last edited by Kalalau; August 13, 2008, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                        Russia knows that America foolishly over-extended its military in Iraq. It's no secret that our soldiers are exhausted and getting tired of being re-deployed. It's also no secret that the American people don't want to be further burdened with the cost of more yet another war.

So Russia is now taking advantage of America's inability to respond to aggression and making territorial claims by force. Without the might of the American military, who else is capable of willing to stop them?
                        FLOWER POWER!!!!

Send our mighty, long-haired, hirsute anti-war activists to Georgia.

IIRC, at the start of the Iraq War, some American flew over there to become volunteer human shield. What happened to them?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                          IIRC, at the start of the Iraq War, some American flew over there to become volunteer human shield. What happened to them?
                          The movement began in England. As much as I am uncomfortable with using Wikipedia for information, they do have a decent summary of the Human Shield Movement:
                          At its peak the total of shield volunteers in Baghdad numbered about 500, but the realization that the thousands needed to have a chance of stopping a blitz on Baghdad had not materialized, combined with the failure of the United Nations to forestall war, meant that bombing was imminent. Many of the shields chose to stay; many others chose to leave. Still others were ordered out by the Iraqi government. In an ironic twist, 21-year-old human shield, Tom Hurndall, left Baghdad for reasons of safety. He went to Palestine where he was shot in the head by an Israeli sniper while working with the International Solidarity Movement.

None of the 80 shields who stayed in Baghdad throughout the war were killed or injured. None of the sites where they were residing were destroyed. They were afforded freedom of movement by the government and treated with great warmth by the Iraqi people, but largely ignored by the media. This impression that all the shields had fled not only undermined the effectiveness of the action, but also led to ridicule. Rather than being portrayed as brave and selfless, the shields were instead caricatured as naïve and cowardly peaceniks.

Comment

Well, maybe the second time is the charm. Send them after the Soviet troops.

Comment

There are now reports that McCain's foreign policy advisor and business partner was a paid lobbyist of Georgia. It has now been confirmed that Rove conferred with the Georgian leadership shortly before Georgia attacked Russian peace keeping troops in Ossetia. This is beginning to really stink.

Comment

Working...
                              X