Marriage Proposal: Where & How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Proposal: Where & How?

Yesterday I did a little write-up on my visit to Waiola Shave Ice stand on Kapahulu, and a reader left a most interesting comment about the place.

He said he proposed to his wife there by placing the engagement ring in her shave ice by hiding the ring on top of the ice cream at the bottom (wrapped in a little baggie), then covering it with the shave ice. How cool is that? Both figuratively and literally!

That's quite a unique proposal story.

I do know a certain someone here who proposed to his fiancé at Alan Wong's restaurant. Wow, the food there must be THAT good!

So the question here is: where did you propose to your wife or fiancé, and how did you do it? (If you don't mind sharing)

At home? In a restaurant? A store? At a public event? While skydiving? Something even crazier or unique?

I thought the Oceanarium (Pacific Beach Hotel) would be a neat place to do a proposal. Have the diver hold up the sign in the tank in front of your table, "_________, Will You Marry Me?"

*I'm not married or engaged (yet, and never been), so I can't share a story of my own (yet).
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Marriage Proposal: Where & How?

Originally posted by Pomai View Post

At home? In a restaurant? A store? At a public event? While skydiving? Something even crazier or unique?
    My husband asked me to marry him over the phone - twice. He was in Idaho, I was in Alaska. He asked me to marry him and waited for a reply. He got worried when I didn't respond. When he looked down at his phone, he realized he got cut off because the reception was poor in the area he was in. He called again and repeated the question. I answered a few weeks later. He could wait, he had unlimited minutes.

We got married at the Excalibur in Vegas dressed up as a King & Queen. We were both married before, so the white dress/tux was out. We had a blast!
    Last edited by Mililani; August 10, 2008, 07:27 AM.
    A proud sponsor of
    http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mililani View Post
      My husband asked me to marry him over the phone - twice. He was in Idaho, I was in Alaska. He asked me to marry him and waited for a reply. He got worried when I didn't respond. When he looked down at his phone, he realized he got cut off because the reception was poor in the area he was in. He called again and repeated the question. I answered a few weeks later. He could wait, he had unlimited minutes.!
      That reminds me of that recent phone commercial where they get cut off during a crucial part of a conversation. I forget which company it was.

I suppose by phone is better than by Text Message. Or eMail. Or IM.

You know what would be cool?! Take her favorite love song MP3, then edit it on the computer with a stop in the middle, where you insert an audio recording of your proposal. Encode it for iTunes, then upload it to your server and ask her to download it and play it, either on her iPod or computer.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

My then-gf and I went out to the Halona Blow Hole lookout to have a dark spot to watch Halley's Comet when it was visible in our skies in 1985.

I figured once every 72 years made it an auspicious occasion.

Over 100 others had the same idea and I had the only telescope. Of course, everyone wanted to look through it.

Finally they were done. Lei said, "Let's go. I'm cold."

I said, "Wait a minute. There's something I want to ask you. Will you marry me?"

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
          My then-gf and I went out to the Halona Blow Hole lookout [...]
          My proposal was a bit similar. Well, I'll let you decide that...

My bf and I were watching the submarine races at the Diamond Head look-out one night...we waited...and waited...and waited. No submarines so he said what the hell...let's get married! Four days later we did!

Comment

My proposal went something like this:

Me: "Man, look how much I gotta pay for health insurance!"
            Her: "Damn, that's a lot. Mine is free."
            Me: "Can I get on your health insurance for free too?"
            Her: "Only if we're married, I think."
            Me: "Ok, whatever."

Comment

haha, zff! whatever works!
              "chaos reigns within.
              reflect, repent and reboot.
              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I was at my wife's place, with her best friend. The three of us were playing Disney Trivia Pursuit. It was my turn, but my mind was elsewhere. I was holding up the game, and so my wife mock yelled at me, "Ask me the question already!"

To which I blurted out, "Will you marry me?"

My wife fell off the futon. It took me a while to realize what I said.

Unwisely I started to say, "No, wait!" My wife's friend whacked me on the head.

"By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z774ICZHy2E

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                    WOW!! Make me excited.

wait...i forgot about our marriage proposal. heheheh

K-den. We were planning for Valentines Day 2009.

Howeva, we went to a new church. Just so happen, da Pastor was speaking
                    about Marriage. For nine weeks. One Sunday, we looked at each other and said
                    "It's time...we need God's Blessing."

It took us two weeks to make our beautiful wedding on June 15, 2008.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
                    Last edited by 1stwahine; August 11, 2008, 03:45 PM.
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

7-11-04 Ko Olina Lagoon in front of the timeshare. My parents took us on a trip to Hawaii and I had decided that Hawaii would be THE place to propose. My Ma almost ruined it for me. I had money left over from buying the ring that I took along with me (secretly) and put it in the drawer of my parent's room. When we went to the Swap meet, I mentioned I didn't have cash and my Ma blurts out "Yes you do! It's in the drawer" My wife (then girlfriend) of course wouldn't stop asking me about it. I told her I'd been stashing money away little by little but she wasn't buying it.

So later one afternoon, we were swimming in the lagoon and I was picking up rocks off the bottom with my feet. We got out of the water, my parents decided to go in and we decided to stay out. So we laid there soaking up the sun and she pressed... What're you up to?! Collecting rocks, I said... "I'm not buying. What're you up to? Collecting rocks, I said again... (at this point, there's no turning back so quick thinking I say) 7 rocks to be exact. To which I pulled out her engagement ring which had a solitaire and 3 smaller diamonds on either side of the solitaire.

oddly enough, I proposed on 7-11 and my wedding ring has 7 diamonds and hers has 11. So she's got 7-11 on her hand lol. weird isn't it?
                      -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Mililani View Post
                        He could wait, he had unlimited minutes.
                        You go girl! Always a good idea to make your man sweat it out a little.

Idaho & Alaska? *whistle* Long distance relationships are tough. I racked up quite a phone bill with my wife (back before cellphones with unlimited minutes).

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
                        Over 100 others had the same idea and I had the only telescope. Of course, everyone wanted to look through it.

Finally they were done. Lei said, "Let's go. I'm cold."
                        Doh!

I bet after your question, she forgot the cold.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        No submarines so he said what the hell...let's get married! Four days later we did!
                        Haha. So spontaneous

Originally posted by zff View Post
                        Her: "Only if we're married, I think."
                        Me: "Ok, whatever."
                        Her: Coo'. Let's go eat.

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                        Aye-ya. I better not let my wife watch that.

I counter your youtube video, with this one, Pua'i Mana'o!

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                        da Pastor was speaking about Marriage. For nine weeks.
                        "Da presha! Cannot stand da presha!"

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
                        oddly enough, I proposed on 7-11 and my wedding ring has 7 diamonds and hers has 11. So she's got 7-11 on her hand lol. weird isn't it?
                        Wow. And you didn't even plan it that way? Heh heh, cool.
                        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                        "
                        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

I don't have particularly clear memories of the proposal phase of either of my marriages. That might explain, in part, why they both ended.

#1) I believe she proposed to me, though I don't recall the exact circumstances.

#2) It was pretty casual; after living together for about a year, I just suggested it somewhat off-hand. Though a bit taken aback at the suggestion, she agreed.

Currently, the Alpha Female & I have been together for over 13 years. We used to discuss marriage, but don't any longer. I can see us getting married if circumstances encourage it, but otherwise, the status quo is fine.

Pretty romantic, ah?

Comment

I'm never married, but I was proposed to once. My friends had been pressuring my longtime boyfriend at the time to ask me to get married. We took a trip to New York together, and did all the traditionally romantic stuff like carriage rides in Central Park - no proposal. I was stumped.
                            Then out of the blue one day in February, 3 days before Valentines day, after a looong day at work, out came the question! At like 10:30 at night. I was a little nervous but I said yes!
                            After a few months, I had to give the ring back. I was still too scared to get married. Also, Kurt Russell gave me some priceless advice, then told me to give the ring back and move out. So I did. Cuz when Captain Ron speaks, Turtlegirl listens!
                            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                              "Da presha! Cannot stand da presha!"
                              heheheh...

We neba get married by dat Pastor.

And we changed church.
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X