How to use search function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use search function

I want to find information about good Chow Fun on Oahu. I typed in "chow fun" (in quotes) in the search box and it came up with no matches. I know that is not true because chow fun is being discussed in the Okazuya thread right now. If I type in chow fun without quotes, it gives me all posts about chow and/or fun. Please, what am I doing wrong?
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: How to use search function

It seems HT's search functionality doesn't allow for quotations. You can try entering this as a Google search term:

"chow fun" site:www.hawaiithreads.com

If you do that, you'll get these results.

Hope that helps.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Your results will also vary if you do the search at the main HawaiiThreads page (which searches all sub-forums) or in a sub-forum (like the Kaukau Korner in which case it just searches in that sub-forum).

Comment

Thanks for the tip, MJ. HT's search function is frustrating at best. And, no, not Ryan's fault. It's the limitations of the software, I assume.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          Thanks for the tip, MJ. HT's search function is frustrating at best. And, no, not Ryan's fault. It's the limitations of the software, I assume.
          I belong to another message board community, and they use the same software this board runs on.

It's frustrating because newbies tend to log on and ask questions that have been answered 9102938102938123123 times. It's easy to scream "DO A SEARCH!" but the search function, just like the one here, is horrible.

Google Advanced Search is a blessing.
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Helen's tip is helpful, too.

Comment

For sheer speed, as well as quality of results, I just use the "site:hawaiithreads.com" switch in a basic Google search.

The developers of vBulletin have done a lot of work on the built-in search features, but I agree the proof is in the results, and they're still hit-or-miss.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                HT's search function is frustrating at best. And, no, not Ryan's fault. It's the limitations of the software, I assume.
                I suppose I should have said "vBulletin's search" instead of "HT's search".

Anyways. Considering the price, we can't complain too much

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                It's frustrating because newbies tend to log on and ask questions that have been answered 9102938102938123123 times. It's easy to scream "DO A SEARCH!"
                Heh yeah, it can be frustrating at times, but at least they're usually polite.

Instead of giving them the answer, I show them the search terms I use in Google. Half of the battle is figuring out which key words to use. Once you get them started, they usually figure the rest out on their own.

I belong to another message board community, and they use the same software this board runs on.
                I bet our community is better than that other community
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "

Comment

Okay. I've added Google Custom Search to the "Search" drop down here at HawaiiThreads.com as the first search option. I think I broke something else in the process, and the results page is bare bones, but now new and veteran users should be able to find what they're looking for much more easily.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your very cogent responses. I have learned a lot about search techniques in this thread. The google seach with site:hawaiithreads.com function works great! Malo mui 'aupito!

Perhaps this synopsis could be included in the FAQ section. Just a suggestion.
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                      I've added Google Custom Search to the "Search" drop down here at HawaiiThreads.com as the first search option.

Oh sweet. It looks nice, too. Thanks!
                      "

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                        Oh sweet. It looks nice, too. Thanks!
                        Ok...help me out.

I need assistance with a Divorce question. I googled but didn't find what I was looking for and I don't want to start a new thread.

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                          I need assistance with a Divorce question.
                          Aiya

How come?
                          "

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                            Aiya

How come?
                            heheheh...

PK told me someone is going think it's US!

No. We're still madly, insanely, in LOVE!!

It's for someone else.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                              PK told me someone is going think it's US!

No. We're still madly, insanely, in LOVE!!
                              You betta be!

Ai you! No scare us lidat!

*whack-whack*

So are you looking for HT threads which talk about divorce, or on the rest of the web? Are you looking for something specific?
                              "

Comment

Working...
                              X