Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia leaves NATO?

From AP, on SF Gate: story

I suppose it's too early to know what's going on. No formal statements yet. That would be one hell of a prank call
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Russia leaves NATO?

Russia's not a member of NATO, so they can't "leave." They've just said they won't cooperate with NATO military operations.

Considering the behavior of NATO toward Russia after their move into Georgia, followed by the recent agreement of the U.S. to deploy an anti-missile shield in Poland, this reciprocation should come as no surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Russia's not a member of NATO, so they can't "leave."

Good point. Thanks for the clarification.
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "

Comment

I find it ironic after reading a few articles starting with this one:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0819/p12s01-woeu.html

That the Ossetian ethnics want to be annexed back to Russia, when they blamed Stalin for bringing them into Soviet Union as part of Georgia Republic and ordered Georgians to settle rapidly in Ossetia.

If Ossetians wanted to separate from Georgia, why don't they do it themselves?
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Funny, all those years of the USSR and then the 17 since it broke up, the US never felt the need to put bases in Poland and now right before the 2008 election suddenly "we" absolutely must put bases in Poland. Which Russia has said it would attack. Its almost as if somebody wants to provoke Russia so the candidate who the public seems to think would do a better job of handling the Russians would get elected. Funny it happens, by absolute coincidence no doubt, to be at the same time Karl Rove visited Georgia just before Georgia attacked Russian peace keeping troops. Troops. Russia has been remarkably restrained so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
            Rove was in the Crimea and in Georgia a couple of weeks before Georgia attacked Russian peace keeping troops.
            Liberal media. Forgot to report that Rove was even in Georgia.
            Funny it happens, by absolute coincidence no doubt, to be at the same time Karl Rove visited Georgia just before Georgia attacked Russian peace keeping troops.
            You know - just because you keep saying it doesn't mean it happened. Yes, Rove spoke with Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili, in Crimea, Ukraine, at the fifth annual Yalta European Strategy summit. But you keep twisting that into "Rove was in Georgia," which weakens your argument each time you write that inaccurate statement.
            Funny, all those years of the USSR and then the 17 since it broke up, the US never felt the need to put bases in Poland and now right before the 2008 election suddenly "we" absolutely must put bases in Poland.
            From the "Warsaw Voice," back in January 2004:
            The prospect of U.S. bases in Poland raises the question of the reaction of Russia. Before NATO was enlarged in 1999 to include Poland, the Czech Republic and Hungary, it was agreed that NATO bases would not be opened in the territories of the new member states. Under this condition, authorities in Moscow agreed not to oppose the inclusion in the alliance of Russia's former satellite countries and members of the Warsaw Pact.

Some analysts argue that U.S. Army skeleton bases will not raise the opposition of Russian President Vladimir Putin's administration, if they are not officially treated as NATO facilities. If they are created exclusively on the basis of a bilateral agreement between the authorities in Warsaw and Washington, their presence will not be interpreted as a violation of the agreements made between Russia and NATO. In fact, unofficial reports indicate that the administration in Moscow has already said yes to the U.S. Army presence in Poland, with the caveat that the new bases are located west of the Vistula.
            Last edited by Leo Lakio; August 21, 2008, 02:00 PM.

Comment

At least there's one upside to increased tensions with Russia...

Firefox 2, baby!

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
              "

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                At least there's one upside to increased tensions with Russia...

Firefox 2, baby!

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
                What? I already got version 2.0.0.16 on my computer.

Comment

I have seen a report on the net that put Rove in Georgia, I have looked for it and will continue. The important fact is that Rove talked with Georgia only days before it attacked Russia. The people we are talking about do undeniably have an established track record of starting war based on lies. It is only reasonable to be suspiscious when another war happens to start right before an election and their chief political strategist Karl Rove happens to have met with Georgian leadership just before it started. Maybe it is just an innocent coincidence. It would be nice if the press would find out and let us know, wouldn't it. The press basically slept through the lead up to the Iraq War and seems content to read White House press releases in this one, too, when it isn't airing a 3 year old sex escapade. Nothing smells fishy in all this?

Comment

Nothing smells fishy in all this?
                    Oh, plenny fishy, all right. In fact, Kalalau, you'll find that I'm pretty close to you on the political spectrum - that's why I give you grief over this.

If we're ever going to pin the Bush Administration and its operatives down on any legal matters and make them face justice on them, we can't go about with twisted truth or conspiracy theories; we need to have firm and solid proof of their misdeeds.

Spreading misleading falsehoods is their specialty - we can't go down the same path, if we hope to prevail.

Comment

Heh, you smart a**

The important fact is that Rove talked with Georgia only days before it attacked Russia.
                      A more important fact is, did the conversation go like this:

"Look. Do as you're told, or we'll zero you out. If you don't play ball, we will publicly withdraw our support."

Or was it like:

"OK, we know you've been eager to get Russia out of your country. One of our satellites overflew Russian positions three days ago, and our analysts have been chewing on it. My aide, who is carrying photos, will arrive after I return to my hotel. I leave it to you gentlemen to decide the course of your country."

(I bet more assets were used to plot Russia's military response, than were used to inform Georgia's decision )

36 hours later...

Nervous man: Hello?
                      Telephone operator: Case number?
                      NM: I'm sorry, I don't understand.
                      TO: 16 digit alpha-numeric number, usually on the back of a business card. Sometimes on the inside of a woman's underwear.
                      NM: Oh. *nervous laugh* I'm sorry, please wait.
                      TO: Not a problem.
                      NM: OMG1MAST0P1DN00B
                      TO: Hello Brigadier General Qurashvili! How may CIA Tech Support assist you today?
                      NM: Yes. We were given photos. Satellite photos.
                      TO: Continue.
                      NM: They looked fine last night, but this morning they are now all pictures of naked women saying many naughty things.
                      TO: Ah, yes. You have encountered a spatial-temporal security feature.
                      NM: I don't understand.
                      TO: Don't worry about it. In each picture, find the mole on the woman's body.
                      NM: Uh...yes...I found one on her buttocks.
                      TO: Good. Now hit it.
                      NM: Pardon?
                      TO: Sorry. Click on the mole with your mouse cursor.
                      NM: ...OK. She spoke to me.
                      TO: What did she say, Brigadier General?
                      NM: She said, "What do you want...big daddy!?"
                      TO: Let me see...Yes. The correct response is, "Love me long time."
                      NM: Huh?
                      TO: Say it to her.
                      NM: Uh. Love me long time.
                      TO: Louder. Like a real man.
                      NM: LOVE ME LONG TIME!
                      TO: Anything?
                      NM: No.
                      TO: Hmm. Does your computer have a microphone?
                      NM: No.
                      TO: For Christ's sake...OK. Just type it in instead.
                      NM: ...Yes. Yes, that worked.
                      TO: Excellent. Your satellite photos will be valid for another 24 hours.
                      NM: Thank you. Thank you very much.
                      TO: Our pleasure. Is there anything else we can help you with?
                      NM: Uh. Can we keep the photos of the naked women?
                      TO: Of course. Consider them a complementary gift. They're very high resolution, so you can print them to poster sized 36" x 48", if you wish.

*cheering in the background*

NM: My men are grateful.
                      TO: If you have further issues, please feel free to call again. Have a happy war.
                      "

Comment

I'm on 3.0.1.

Comment

I have seen a report on the net that put Rove in Georgia, I have looked for it and will continue. The important fact is that Rove talked with Georgia only days before it attacked Russia. The people we are talking about do undeniably have an established track record of starting war based on lies. It is only reasonable to be suspiscious when another war happens to start right before an election and their chief political strategist Karl Rove happens to have met with Georgian leadership just before it started. Maybe it is just an innocent coincidence. It would be nice if the press would find out and let us know, wouldn't it. The press basically slept through the lead up to the Iraq War and seems content to read White House press releases in this one, too, when it isn't airing a 3 year old sex escapade. Nothing smells fishy in all this?
                          If Rove is there, then why is he there? It would be a huge coincidence that Russia would attack Georgia because of Rove's presence there.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            I'm on 3.0.1.
                            I was going to say the same thing. Myopicjoe, you really need to upgrade.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                              I was going to say the same thing. Myopicjoe, you really need to upgrade.
                              Ohhh, I see. Firefox 2's auto updater won't make the jump to 3 on its own. You need to download the new installer. Thanks for heads up.

I'm an old fart, in Internet time
                              "

Comment

Working...
                              X