Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer tour.

Aloha,

I know I been away from the board for awhile but I'm back now. My 2 younger sons came to stay with me and they both got this great idea to rent an RV and go visit Montana. My second son is stationed at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls,MT.
    We drove up through Idaho and picked up my oldest boy and 2 of my grandsons. What a drive. It got me nervous going through some area's, especially through the passes. I didn't think we'd make it but we did.
    I didn't realize how beautiful the Rockie Mountains were till I got to see them up close. 2 weeks of hiking, fishing, sightseeing, and just being a tourist made me appreciate the beauty of the United States. My sons got me to do things I never thought I'd ever do like fly fishing and getting fresh honey from a bee hive. What an adventure.
    I got to tour Malmstrom Air Force Base and my sons sponser was very knowledable of the history of the base and the city of Great Falls.
    I got a tell ya a story...well 2 stories. First, I had a run in with a porcupine crossing a bridge at Glacier National Park. I swear the thing was over 20 pounds but my sons say it was more like 2 pounds. It looked so funny when we met on the bridge. I wasn't paying attention and I guess ol' porky wasn't either. I looked down to change film in my camera when all of a sudden I saw this big creature with spines on it. It hissed at me and I yelled and while I was running the other way the thing screamed to and ran the other way. The second incident happened near a dam in Great Falls, Black Eagle Dam, where we went on the river walk. I went near the water to feel how cold it was. When I bent down I heard this growl. I swear it looked like a huge bear. I turned and jumped in the water and the thing started kicking up dirt and looked ferocious. My sons said it was a 20 pound badger but I say a 2,500 pound Grizzly Bear with huge teeth and huge claws.
    I got back this weekend but waited till today to post.
    Now I must get back to working outside in the gardens and will try to post more.

Aloha,
    Aleno

Re: Summer tour.

How could you write about a trip to Montana without mentioning the incredibly wonderful steaks they serve there?

Comment

Oh brah,

No get me started with the food there. I tell you what, the steaks was so cheap that when we went out to eat, when cost us less then if we had dinner at Sizzlers.
      Best place in Monana for me was called Prime Cuts and I had the all you can eat shrimp with a nice juicy steak. Was only 6.00 dollars. The staek was one pound of prime beef. We also got sirloin at the County market for .99 cents a pound and grilled them ourselves. What a treat for me.
      I never cared much for fresh water fish but this place in Lincoln, MT had the best fish I ever tasted away from Hawaii. It was Walleye in a butter and bacon sauce.
      I also got to pick mushrooms (morels), and cherries at Kalispell. Blueberries wern't in season yet.
      There is no sales taxes there so what they say is the price you don't need to add tax after.

Aloha,
      Aleno

Comment

What an experience! You are so lucky to have those cherished moments with all the guys. And all the ono foods at such cheapo prices...can't beat that...but still with growing boys they must have eaten a lot! Sounds like you all had fun...did the guys LOL at you!
        Retired Senior Member

Comment

Interesting story. Glad you didn't run into a skunk or a bear.

Comment

Aloha Helen,

Nope, I didn't run into a skunk but did see many killed on the highways on my journey,
            Only bears I saw were in the park at Yellowstone National Park.
            I also saw huge buffalo's and elk there and a wolf and here young pups. I loved the park there and also Glacier national park in northern Montana.

Comment

I think Aleno should sign up at Hawaii Stories to start an online blog or journal. He already has dedicated readers and he has a lot of Talk Stories to share.

Glad you had a great and adventurous time with your boys and grandkids!
              Send POI

Comment

Aloha Leimamo,

Glad to see you.
                Mahalo, My son says I should start a blog too. We'll check it out, thank you.
                So how you been? I'm on a break right now from the orchards but thought I'd sitting down to see whats going on. I don't have many local type friends up here so I like reading on what other locals are talking about.
                How's Japan? Weather here is hot, going to be in the 100's tomorrow but I'm used to it already.
                Aloha,
                Aleno & Son

Comment

Aloha Aleno,

It's been very hot humid here lately. Stepping outdoors is like opening the door to a heated oven. My glasses fog up!

Some of my ohana will be visiting next week. Of course they're very milimili and waited until last week to tell me, not giving me enough time to make any real plans for them so we'll wing it. I'm sure it'll be a pleasant visit anyway.

It's funny, they asked what we wanted from back home and my daughter's only request was "mochi crunch". Who would've thought we'd want that from home when we live in Japan, where arare originated? It just doesn't taste the same as those back home and we love making hurricane popcorn with it.

When you decide to start your online journal, give me an "ei nei" and I'll come to check it out.
                  Send POI

Comment

Working...
                  X