Baby Shower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Shower

Hi! One of my friends is about 6 months pregnant, and I want to throw a baby shower for her and her family and friends. I intend for it to be co-ed, and I want it to be lots of fun and games, (not just cake and gift exchange).

I need help! I've never commandeered a baby shower before! Any good ideas or favorite baby shower stories?
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: Baby Shower

I have been forced to a few showers unfortunately non co-ed I think it would have been a fun element.

The games that I played that I can remember were a simple one
    that I always won because I don't have interest in babies quite
    frankly...anyway it's the safety pin game where everyone starts
    out with a safety pin (or diaper pin but those are more expensive).
    You are not allowed to say "baby" or some such similar word that
    would be pretty common at this sort of thing and if you hear someone
    else say it then if you are first to notice you take their pin away. The
    one with the most pins at the end wins of course.

The other games that I've seen are the diaper game. Get a bunch of candy bars and melt them down, smear the diaper with them number each one
    and everyone has to smell the diaper and name the candy bar. Again the one with the most correct wins. Lastly I remember the baby food jar game which is empty jars filled with food substances and you have to look at them and guess if it's smashed peas or whatever. There was also some game with plastic bags filled with stuff and you had to guess was it baby powder or cornstarch or similar things.

The real snoozer is opening of the gifts watching seemingly a zillion "onezies" with everyone "ooohing and ahhing" over them. This part takes
    forever.

Those Costco cakes seemed to serve well for this type of party as they have great cakes. It seemed to help the host/guests if the sex of the baby was known for gifts and color theme of the party as well. No doubt there will be lots of stories about labor...........

The good thing was the food was always good as they were all pot luck and the people I knew really could cook, lots of good local food One of the real reasons I attended was because if you didn't go you had to work so it was also a good way to get a weekend day off!

I am sure you will do a great job and everyone will enjoy!

Comment

Last one I attended was "family-oriented" with all the spouses and keiki running around; fun! There was always something up...it was kinda hard to guide the games and stuff; but you had options of other things to do. I guess it was more like a family get-together.

One thing we did was a scrambled word list; it was timed and you could do it alone or commiserate help each other if you wanted.

The gift opening/photo session was attended by all, of course.

Enjoy! I know you will have a great time!!

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
        Last one I attended was "family-oriented" with all the spouses and keiki running around; fun! There was always something up...it was kinda hard to guide the games and stuff; but you had options of other things to do. I guess it was more like a family get-together.

One thing we did was a scrambled word list; it was timed and you could do it alone or commiserate help each other if you wanted.

The gift opening/photo session was attended by all, of course.

Enjoy! I know you will have a great time!!
        Oh yes! I forgot about the scrambled word game, I liked that one!

Comment

The last baby shower I attended had a huge gift (a wrapped box) off to the side. Gift opening was first on the agenda. Good thing 'cuz the huge gift contained the tutu-to be. She flew in from the mainland as a surprise for her daughter.

All together now...AAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Comment

that makes the gift part moa bettah!

Comment

OMG! You guys - this is all awesome info, and stuff that I never would have thought of on my own!! I want this baby shower to be fun and memorable! I really need help! Generally I have felt a lot like Leashlaws about these baby events, which is why I'm taking charge of this one!

Whats this scrambled word game? I need details. I've only been to 3 baby showers in the past 12 years!

'Whats in this baby food jar' game and 'don't say baby safety pin' game are IN!
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Bring a laptop and see how faces combine to make a new face. Put mommy and daddy's face in and see what baby could look like in the future.

http://www.morphthing.com/morph

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                  OMG! You guys - this is all awesome info, and stuff that I never would have thought of on my own!! I want this baby shower to be fun and memorable! I really need help! Generally I have felt a lot like Leashlaws about these baby events, which is why I'm taking charge of this one!

Whats this scrambled word game? I need details. I've only been to 3 baby showers in the past 12 years!

'Whats in this baby food jar' game and 'don't say baby safety pin' game are IN!
                  You take words like pacifier, diaper, formula and other baby related words and mix them up: rpicafei print up a bunch of copies for your guests and that is how it goes.

Comment

This is a game we played at my shower 21 years ago--but it got the most laughs. You take a bag of cotton balls, pour them on the floor, and give each participant a ladle and a saucepan (a good-sized one--deep enough, like for cooking veggies or potatoes, but not a dutch oven!)...and you blindfold them. They can feel where the cotton balls are, and where the pan is...once...but then they have to try to scoop up as many balls as possible and put them in the pan. I can't tell you how FUNNY these people looked, scooping up what they thought were large gobs of cotton balls, and they had absolutely NOTHING in the scoop!!!! Time it--give each person 3 or 5 minutes, depending on how many people are participating. The one with the most winds! This works best on a carpeted floor so they don't all blow away! This was a ladies' shower, but all ages were there, so it was a riot! I'm sure you will do a great job--these things tend to take care of themselves somewhat, too, so don't stress over it. Aloha from California!

Comment

for my sister's shower, 21 years ago also, i had as many guests as possible bring in a baby picture of themselves. then the other guests had to fugure out each person. i put them up on some type of board.
                      "chaos reigns within.
                      reflect, repent and reboot.
                      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Our baby shower was a coed extravaganza with band, magic show, and everything. We even had a stopwatch-timed, beer guzzling contest

But the "piece-of-resistance" was the game where you draw 4 mens and 4 womens names out of a basket. Then the women have to dress the men in a diaper, bonnet, and bib, and then feed them a 4 oz bottle of milk. Hilarious.

We got most of what we needed at the thrift store. Sheets for diapers, etc.

Our shower was a rip-roarin' all nighter.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                          Our baby shower was a coed extravaganza with band, magic show, and everything. We even had a stopwatch-timed, beer guzzling contest

But the "piece-of-resistance" was the game where you draw 4 mens and 4 womens names out of a basket. Then the women have to dress the men in a diaper, bonnet, and bib, and then feed them a 4 oz bottle of milk. Hilarious.

We got most of what we needed at the thrift store. Sheets for diapers, etc.

Our shower was a rip-roarin' all nighter.
                          I WANNA GO!!!

Comment

Something my friends and I always do at any shower we throw is the Blah Blah game. Well, it didn't start out with that name, but one of my friends forgot all the words, so it was then dubbed the Blah Blah Game.

You get 3X5 index cards and write the headings Always, Never, Sometimes, Remember To, and Don't Forget, then leave some space for the guests to fill them out. These are supposed to be advice for the mom (or bride) to be. Depending on the crowd, they can be funny or very sweet, or practical.

Once the guests are done, you gather them up. You can either read them out loud during a lull in the shower (especially if they're funny) or not. Then we always buy a cheap photo album (you can find some cute plastic baby-themed ones at Wal-Mart, here they cost $1 or $2) and slip the cards into the photo slots. It's a nice little momento for the guest of honor.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                              Hi! One of my friends is about 6 months pregnant, and I want to throw a baby shower for her and her family and friends. I intend for it to be co-ed, and I want it to be lots of fun and games, (not just cake and gift exchange).

I need help! I've never commandeered a baby shower before! Any good ideas or favorite baby shower stories?
                              So, did you have the shower yet? I'm compelled to ask!

Comment

Working...
                              X