PDA

View Full Version : Pizza?

helen
July 12th, 2004, 11:37 PM
I can't believe this after 31 threads no one mentions pizza in the Kaukau Korner forum?

Oh dear! :eek:

Woe is me!

:rolleyes:

In any event sometime last week while going thru Sears Ala Moana I entered the store from the ewa side ground level where Zippys and the other food places are. And the Pizza Hut Express is no longer there.

I have been getting my pizza fix from Costco or from the Taco Bells. The Taco Bell location at Ala Moana seems to have the personal pan pizza sort of ready to go, while the South King/Keeaumoku Street location you have to wait at least 5 minutes to get a personal pan pizza.

AuntieNellieKulolo
July 13th, 2004, 01:51 AM
My fave is Papa John's. Excellent crust, good sauce(not too sweet), and can't beat the garlic butter and jalapenos. Luckily one just opened up in my neighborhood.

Costco pizza is pretty damn good. When I lived in HI Kai I used to walk over to Costco, grab a slice, sit at one of the tables near the water with a book. Good times.

NYC pizza is overrated in my book. When I was here circa '90-91 I remember it as being 'ono but now it seems like there are a lot of second-rate pizza joints around selling greasy, flavorless, over-processed pies. The good stuff is still there but it's very hit-or-miss.

Boston North End is great, I used to go there all the time when I would hang out in Kaimuki.

One thing I think is missing in Hawai'i (esp. downtown and Waikiki where there are pedestrians) is small-kine street food carts. You know, in NYC, Chicago, etc. you got hot dogs, pizza by the slice, pretzels, etc. In India you can buy samosas or pakoras. If you're not in the mood for a big plate lunch it would be nice to be able to just grab a manapua or spam musubi and a soda.

pzarquon
July 13th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Big, floppy New York style is a favorite of mine as well... for which Boston's provides a good fix. When we lived in town, my family and I would go to the Manoa location. Their combos with spinach and garlic were great, though I often went with the basic pepperoni... folding it, of course, after adding red peppers and garlic salt to make a handy pizza sandwich.

I remember their first Kailua store. The employees there were a colorful bunch. (Although the flap a few years back about their owner's reluctance to hire locals dimmed the appeal a bit.)

I like Costco pizza too. A good price covers many sins!

For home delivery, I like Papa John's too, if only for the butter and garlic dipping sauce (sense a pattern?). We just tried Pizza Hut's gimmicky four-panel pizza, and while it's neat (and apparently a hit with kids), there's more crust there than anything else.

Albert
July 13th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Well, the Pizza Hut Express is now combined with Taco Bell at Ala Moana, near McD's, so it isn't surprising they closed the one by Zippy's.

Papa John is pretty good but I think my favorite is that wacky "potpourri" version at Magoo's. Pineapple on pizza!

Occasionally I do buy a slice or two at Sbarro's in the Ala Moana Food Court but it's often on the greasey side and sloppy to eat.

Glen Miyashiro
July 13th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Pineapple on pizza? Ack! Phthbbth! Ptui!

The whole concept of pineapple as a cooking ingredient has always escaped me. Pineapple and meats are just plain wrong. I shudder when I see "Hawaiian" recipes that call for putting pineapple over everything. :eek:

But getting back to pizza, I'm partial to the crust and tangy sauce they do at Domino's. Big Kahuna's over in Mapunapuna is also very good.

Mokihana
July 13th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Well, I no stay da ‘āina, but ovah heah in Oregon we get one new company called "Flying Pie Pizza"... all hand-tossed crusts, and fills to make yoah mout' watah. Best pizza I evah wen grine....

Albert
July 13th, 2004, 11:59 AM
"The whole concept of pineapple as a cooking ingredient has always escaped me."

Oh, I love "Pineapple Upside Down Cake", although admittedly, the pineapple portion of the "potpourri" pizza at Magoo's isn't my favorite part of that option. (It combines four types of pizza-toppings in one big pizza.)

helen
July 13th, 2004, 11:45 PM
I gotta admit that Papa Johns's Garlic Butter Sauce is pretty good. I do like Boston's North End Pizza but it's been awhile since I had it.

I agree with Albert about Sbarros as far as sloppy to eat but it's alright and there are selections to their offerings.

aleno
July 14th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Here in Northern California I enjoy the Pizza from Little Italy. Best pizza I tasted. Tin crust is crunchy and pan pizzas are buttery.
I love pineapple in general and love it with anything I eat. Nothing beats a fresh pineapple put in the fridge, taken out and cut up with a little bit of salt. I also like spam and pineapple or Ham with a pineapple sauce.

Linkmeister
July 14th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Ham with a pineapple sauce.

That's an old standby. The Hotel Yokosuka next door to my apartment offered that, and when I was really hungry for home cooking (other than my own on my single gas burner in my two-room, six-tatami apartment) I'd go to their restaurant and order that for about 1,000 yen. (1973-1974 prices, mind you).

adrian
July 14th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Pineapple on pizza? Ack! Phthbbth! Ptui!

The whole concept of pineapple as a cooking ingredient has always escaped me. Pineapple and meats are just plain wrong. I shudder when I see "Hawaiian" recipes that call for putting pineapple over everything. :eek:

I also hate that. Mostly on the mainland, they have pineapples on "Hawaiian pizza".

Back on topic, lately I've been enjoying my pizza fresh from the oven (store bought from Sam's Club). Its usually ready in 15 minutes or so, and its a good deal for a family.

But if I go out, then I'd go with Pizza Hut's pizza. I've tasted Papa John's pizza, and to me, they don't do pizza right.

helen
July 14th, 2004, 11:04 PM
I'm mostly the thick crust type of person but I can handle the thin crust. For me the worst pizza to eat would be the cheese only pizzas. Nothing against cheese, I like cheese, but not if it's the only thing on it.

helen
July 15th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Went to Sbarro for dinner today at Ala Moana. A couple of slices and a bottle of water for $10.

I think the worse part was the stuffed sliced that I had, the bottom crust was so soaked that it broke apart while I was eating it.

aleno
July 15th, 2004, 08:29 PM
What I hate the most is if you gat a pizza where the crust not cooked good. there are times when I buy a pan pizza and the crust is so doughy like not cooked long enough.

Oh....convert 1,000 yens for me?

makepagirl
August 6th, 2004, 07:33 PM
:rolleyes: pizza hut pan style meat lovers is my favorite!!!can't handle papa john's..back in the 90's my hubby managed a papa john's.he actually went to papa john's pizza "college" in kentucky for 1 week.@ the time,our roommate,& 6 of the drivers 4 pj's all lived in the same apt.complex...soooo!!!we had tons &tons of it..i do miss the garlic butter tho..

kimo55
August 12th, 2004, 10:32 AM
My fave is Papa John's.

I try not to support corporate chains that come here and ruin our islands, especially when we can find ono pizza at Magoo's:
dollar steinees, small pizza, big enuff for two; ask for the combo with shrimp and capers. have em make it well done.
Too good.

craigwatanabe
August 12th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Antonio's on Waialae Avenue next to the laundramatte under the overpass across from Kahala Mall.

Probably the best New York style pizza I've ever eaten.

Kilinahe
August 12th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Oooooooh yeah. I went there on my dinner break once or twice when I worked across the street. Sometimes I would sell my grandma for good pizza.

kamlost
August 15th, 2004, 02:02 PM
I have renounced Sbarro. I like CPK ;)

I usually just make pizza instead of buying.

Albert
August 23rd, 2004, 12:17 PM
Wow! We have a Papa John's at UH-Manoa now.

helen
August 23rd, 2004, 08:09 PM
Where at UH?

Albert
August 24th, 2004, 09:17 AM
"Where at UH?"

Papa John's at UH-Manoa is a big box in front of Spalding Hall. Like a small house-trailer.

Getting so fancy up here, have Ba-Le, Subway, Taco Bell, that vegetarian place (smaller box than Papa) ...

No White Castle, but.

kimo55
August 24th, 2004, 09:20 AM
"Where at UH?"

Papa John's at UH-Manoa is a big box in front of Spalding Hall. Like a small house-trailer.

Getting so fancy up here, have Ba-Le, Subway, Taco Bell, that vegetarian place (smaller box than Papa) ...

No White Castle, but.

ok
taco bell, subway. that is just too fancy for my taste!
I'm i'll just stay here in hawaii kai and go to magoos when Im in that area...

Karen
August 24th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Best pizza I ever tasted was one of those temporary offers, from Pizza Hut, it was in Dec. of '97 I think, (I remember cuz was flying to Texas that night, to a mom just diagnosed of cancer) and this pizza had NO read sauce on it, what a refreshing change. It had chicken, a white sauce, and plenty of cheese and veggies. I liked it so much I tried to buy it in Texas, once there, but P.Hut said they had already stopped offering it.

kimo55
August 24th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Best pizza I ever tasted was one of those temporary offers, from Pizza Hut, it was in Dec. of '97 I think, (I remember cuz was flying to Texas that night, to a mom just diagnosed of cancer) and this pizza had NO read sauce on it, what a refreshing change. It had chicken, a white sauce, and plenty of cheese and veggies. I liked it so much I tried to buy it in Texas, once there, but P.Hut said they had already stopped offering it.

yow. now I'm hungry.
Eh. Ya gotta try a magoos pizza. ask for well done.
da kine wit da shrimp.
shake parmesan and those lil chile peppers thingys on it.

so ono, broke da mout.

craigwatanabe
August 24th, 2004, 09:51 AM
every try the pizza's at Volcano Joes near the UH? Their pizza's are different.

kimo55
August 24th, 2004, 10:20 AM
every try the pizza's at Volcano Joes near the UH? Their pizza's are different.

been here all my life and still, i have places on my list i nevah bean 2.
dass one uh dem.

Karen
August 24th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Hi Kimo!

there's a place called Magoo, or Magoo's? oh yes, peppers, healthy dang thangs! It isn't lunchtime yet, is it?

kimo55
August 24th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Hi Kimo!

there's a place called Magoo, or Magoo's? oh yes, peppers, healthy dang thangs! It isn't lunchtime yet, is it?

No, but it's beer thirty!

wheah you been, gurl!?

hey.
wee need some input at da Walmart thread. hele on ovah.
da buggah steh silent.
haaa.

kimo55
August 24th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Hi Kimo!

Lunchtime on tuesday is 4 oclock and on
Compadres taco Tuesday! Yeee HAAwww!

pzarquon
August 24th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Anyone know if "Big Gino's" on Smith Street in Chinatown is still around? It was maybe a month ago, but during a drive-by today it appeared to be MIA. I sure hope all that ridiculous construction on Nimitz Highway didn't finally finish them off...

Karen
August 24th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Hey back again, dude! (G)

Been cleaning house, patio, shopping for new window draperies, and just being bizzy, ya know. I'll peek at the Walmart thread, but I really don't wanna trash Walmart, as they're one of the few things that make living here Affordable.

Hope you're burping your beer, but not getting so sleepy you ignore your chores, k?

No, but it's beer thirty!

wheah you been, gurl!?

hey.
wee need some input at da Walmart thread. hele on ovah.
da buggah steh silent.
haaa.

kimo55
August 24th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Hey back again, dude! (G)

Been cleaning house, patio, shopping for new window draperies, and just being bizzy, ya know. I'll peek at the Walmart thread, but I really don't wanna trash Walmart,

hey, it's an equal opportunity trash board! We trash sprawlmart and da oddahs trash US! Good fun all around!

as they're one of the few things that make living here Affordable.

K. dass coo!

Hope you're burping your beer, but not getting so sleepy you ignore your chores, k?

"chores"... hmmmm chores. what kine dat!?
mexican sausage, yea?!

oooohhh dass what those "maid" things do around da hale!

no.
never touch the stuff...

helen
August 24th, 2004, 07:36 PM
There used to be a place in the 1990's in the Pearl Kai Shopping Center that had Chinese food as pizza toppings. It was pretty okay, they did not use tomato sauce on their pizza.

craigwatanabe
August 25th, 2004, 08:35 AM
California Pizza Kitchens (CPK) has this wonderful Peking Duck pizza with what tastes like Oyster sauce on it. That's about as close as Chinese pizza I've ever eaten.

Glen Miyashiro
August 25th, 2004, 08:36 AM
That's hoisin sauce. One of my favorite CPK pizzas.

craigwatanabe
August 25th, 2004, 10:31 AM
One of these days I'll go order something else at CPK. I wonder if they'll ever open in Hilo? With Jamba Juice, Starbucks, Macy's gee it seems Hilo is going upscale so why not CPK?

helen
August 28th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Had a Papa Johns, the Works last night. Even asked for a second garlic butter cup.

Miulang
August 28th, 2004, 05:25 PM
California Pizza Kitchens (CPK) has this wonderful Peking Duck pizza with what tastes like Oyster sauce on it. That's about as close as Chinese pizza I've ever eaten.

That's my favorite CPK pizza too! I like the won ton strips they sprinkle on top. They have a new one...shrimp scampi...that I tried the other night. Very tasty and no red sauce! My favorite pizza of all time anywhere is called "Marguerita" and it only has cheese, fresh slices of tomato and fresh basil on top. Das soooo ono!

Miulang

helen
April 11th, 2005, 06:13 PM
I seem to be hooked on the Buffalo Chicken pizza slices at Sam's Club.

kimo55
April 11th, 2005, 06:51 PM
I seem to be hooked on the Buffalo Chicken pizza slices at Sam's Club.

nuttin bettah den a pizza or two wit da ohana or a few bruddahs and a few pichas beer at magoo's
NUT teen.

Palolo Joe
April 12th, 2005, 01:18 AM
except maybe a pitcher of beer and some shack burgers at the shack (in kailua, of course). or maybe a pitcher of beer and garlic fries at gordon biersch. or some poke and big aloha brew at sam choy's. or a pitcher of beer and a pizza at the old harpo's on kapahulu (RIP).

magoos is good when they actually have all their beers in stock - which is the case less and less these days. pizza is okay there, but way overpriced.

kimo55
April 12th, 2005, 08:38 AM
except maybe a pitcher of beer and some shack burgers at the shack (in kailua, of course). or maybe a pitcher of beer and garlic fries at gordon biersch. or some poke and big aloha brew at sam choy's. or a pitcher of beer and a pizza at the old harpo's on kapahulu (RIP).

magoos is good when they actually have all their beers in stock - which is the case less and less these days. pizza is okay there, but way overpriced.

weeelll, the shack can be pricey too.
Kailua and Hawaii kai are both good for different reasons. kailua is ok, but get clastrophobic there. prefer the oceanside wide open feel and view at Hawaii kai. Things are a little more reasonable when ya take advantage of their 1/2 off daily sandwich deals. and ya haveta ask for beer specials.
(And it's very handy, after cruising around Moanalua bay, to pull the boat right up to the Shack pier, and after lunch, jump right back on the boat and cruise home. A welcome change from battling that parking lot. )

GB is almost my second home. brewmaster and all da ohana there good friends. Yep, I suppose it was reprehensible for me not to have mentioned their finecrafted beers. They are the best. (at 4 bux plus per unit, they better be)
http://www.beerme.com/breweries/us/hi/1891.shtml

magoo's is fun, cuz we play that zout game with the beer;
Eh; get heineken or wot?!
"Zout!"
okayyy. steiney?
"Zout!"
and that place most every evening has wild stuff happening.. always meet a bevvy of kuuipos, or interesting kooky characters with crazy stories to tell.
met one guy who had a camera shop that was in Hawaii 5-0. interesting story.
Another local gal was in Playboy. She could talk a blue streak. Worked the room as if it were her own tv show.
wild.

Glen Miyashiro
April 12th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Big Kahuna Pizza on Pu'uloa Road is a favorite, although I don't go there often. I hope they can survive the disruption that the soon-to-start Pu'uloa roadwork project will cause.

kimo55
April 12th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Big Kahuna Pizza on Pu'uloa Road is a favorite, although I don't go there often. I hope they can survive the disruption that the soon-to-start Pu'uloa roadwork project will cause.

and the soon to be online petition started by a particular online blowhard against those using Hawaiian culchah for commercial purposes...
Naah! jezz (half) joking, brah!

Glen Miyashiro
April 12th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Y'know, I thought about you as I was writing that, Kimo.

damontucker
June 26th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I searched for a previous thread on this... sorry if I'm searching in the wrong place or something......couldn't find one....

However... who do you think has Hawaii's best pizza?

I had this really weird experience today.... and I was going to post it on HT's Hawaii's favorite Pizza....however there was no thread....

However... today... I dared myself to try 7-11's "Sandwich Pizza"

Holy smokes....the bugga was good.... I love pizza... and this bugga was decent for a quick 7-11 substitute.... think it cost $3.19 out of the warmer...had plenty meat.. plenty cheese...etc...

I think this is the best 7-11 product I've ever tried out of their warmer :eek:

Hey.... no need do dishes at least... j/k

1stwahine
June 26th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I searched for a previous thread on this... sorry if I'm searching in the wrong place or something......couldn't find one....

You neva look hard enough! :p
http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=1588&highlight=pizza

Auntie Lynn :D

damontucker
June 26th, 2006, 09:19 PM
You neva look hard enough! :p
http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=1588&highlight=pizza

Auntie Lynn :D
admin...please transfer my original thread....

Mahalo...

and 7-11 pizza sandwiches rock!

SusieMisajon
June 26th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Please decribe the pizza sandwich to me, I want to try to make one. Was it like a folded-over pizza? Or like a sandwich? Baked? Fried? Bready? Crisp or thick? If you wanted to make one, yourself, how would you do it?

Thanks in avance

Pomai
June 26th, 2006, 09:50 PM

However... who do you think has Hawaii's best pizza?The only dedicated thread I could find on HT was Pizza? (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=1588&highlight=pizza), started by Helen. Perhaps Admin should rename this thread "Hawaii's Best Pizza"?

Between the "big three", Pizza Hut is still my favorite.

As much as I love to shop at Costco, their concession stand Pizza ranks poorly on my list, mainly because of the "spongey" crust texture.

Still, they redeemed themselves in the frozen section when they recently brought in this Sicilian Chicken Pizza. Awesome!

I was very impressed with our order at Buca Di Beppo. It has that true hearth oven baked flavor and the sauce has a home-made flavor to it. Nice.

1stwahine
June 26th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I love Hot Pocket Pizza! Cheap, easy and onolicious! :D

Auntie Lynn :p

admin
June 26th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Threads merged. Be sure to search (http://hawaiithreads.com/search.php?) before posting a new topic. But if you do end up starting a new thread, it's not neccessary to make a whole production out of starting it. Mahalo!

helen
June 26th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Come to find out that Sam's Club is no longer sells the Buffalo Chicken pizza. And the South King/Keeaumoku Street location of Taco Bell/Pizza Hut closed last week.

pzarquon
June 27th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Our family went through a Hot Pocket phase, buying 'em in huge quantities and stocking up our freezer... but at some point, a switch was thrown and we couldn't stomach 'em any more. Ended up tossing a bunch when they basically got freezer burnt into unrecognizable oblivion. They were tasty, but they also tasted exactly what "bad for you" must taste like, you know?

My kids have taken a liking to the Sbarro's pizza in Mililani Town Center. I think I still like Boston's best, but I haven't had one since we moved out of town. I confess to eating Costco's by-the-slize most often, but that's because of the price, not taste.

Among the basic delivery options, we're a Papa John's family. We keep trying to give Pizza Hut another chance, but it seems they invest more money into the "gimmick pizza of the week" than the quality of their basic product. I don't care if the crust is twisted, filled with three cheeses, topped with cinnamon, plays music when hot and comes apart into special shapes that you can snap together to build a robot, you know? Just give me a pizza and a small tub of garlic butter, and I'm happy.

SusieMisajon
June 27th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Come to find out that Sam's Club is no longer sells the Buffalo Chicken pizza. And the South King/Keeaumoku Street location of Taco Bell/Pizza Hut closed last week.
Please tell me....what was on that Buffalo Chicken pizza? I'd like to try and duplicate it.

Miulang
June 27th, 2006, 07:29 AM
One of the most interesting and best tasting pizzas I've had in awhile is a chicken alfredo with olives. I don't particularly care for pizza sauce and normally will order a pizza margherita (mozarella cheese only, no pizza sauce, with fresh tomatoes and basil), but this chicken alfredo pizza sounded interesting, so I ordered it. It was exactly as advertised: pieces of chicken covered with alfredo sauce and black olives and lotsa cheese on top. I thought it was going to be a personal size pizza but what came to the table was a 16" one :eek: (for $14.95). I could only eat 3 slices and the rest unfortunately had to go into the dumpster because we were on a 900-mile road trip... :(

Miulang

helen
June 27th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Please tell me....what was on that Buffalo Chicken pizza? I'd like to try and duplicate it.
Meat was spicer, in chunks of red nodules. No tomato sauce, mostly was a white cream or cheese sauce to it.

Tiabla
June 27th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I tried Mama's Island Pizza (http://mamasislandpizza.com/) in Kailua a few months back, and I'm hooked! I'm not a huge fan of pizza, but this is some of the best I've ever had. The ingredients are really fresh and they put plenty of sauce on it (I don't like dry pizza). My husband and I go there at least once a week to share a pizza and a pitcher of beer. Good stuff!

pzarquon
June 27th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Ah, yes, Mama's. Previously discussed here (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=6444) and elsewhere. Can't believe I still haven't made it over to check it out... especially disgraceful since we used to make the drive into Kailua for Boston's (back when it was the only location).

Pomai
June 27th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Regarding Buffalo Chicken Pizza...
Meat was spicer, in chunks of red nodules. No tomato sauce, mostly was a white cream or cheese sauce to it.Susie, being in France, you may not be familiar with this dish, but it appears to be a "pizzafied" version of the New York classic, Buffalo Wings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_wings) (Chicken Wings).

I've never cared for California-style pizza, such as CPK or Wolfgang Puck. That whole "Chinese Chicken Salad with crusted Snapper and Mango Salsa Pizza" thing is just too much. Even that Ham and Pineapple "Hawaiian" Pizza is going overboard. IMO. Simpler the better.

Remember these bygone Hawaii Pizzerias?...
Shakey's Pizza Parlor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakey's_Pizza)
Harpo's (http://www.harposdressings.com)
2-for-1

Hernando's Hideaway, a bygone Kuhio Ave. restaurant/bar also had some pretty good "pie".

SusieMisajon
June 27th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Regarding Buffalo Chicken Pizza...Susie, being in France, you may not be familiar with this dish, but it appears to be a "pizzafied" version of the New York classic, Buffalo Wings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_wings) (Chicken Wings).

I've never cared for California-style pizza, such as CPK or Wolfgang Puck. That whole "Chinese Chicken Salad with crusted Snapper and Mango Salsa Pizza" thing is just too much. Even that Ham and Pineapple "Hawaiian" Pizza is going overboard. IMO. Simpler the better.

Remember these bygone Hawaii Pizzerias?...
Shakey's Pizza Parlor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakey's_Pizza)
Harpo's (http://www.harposdressings.com)
2-for-1

Hernando's Hideaway, a bygone Kuhio Ave. restaurant/bar also had some pretty good "pie".
So...it's deep-fried chicken with tabasco, and ranch sauce, then...or something like that? Oh, well. I can dream.

CranBeree
June 27th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Wally's @ Mililani

and Round Table and

Harbo Pub @ Waikiki

Vanguard
June 27th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Is there anywhere on Oahu that makes thin crust pizza, like what one finds in Italy?

helen
June 27th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I have never been to Italy but the places that tend to have thin crust is Boston North End, Magoo's (it's more of a soda cracker type of crust) and Pizza Hut as an option (even through they tend to market thick crust pizzas).

dick
June 27th, 2006, 03:38 PM
The Harbor Special (or whatever it's called) is a great pizza at Harbor Pub.

I generally stick with Boston's. Especially since there's one right down the street from where I live... mmm.... Big Red...

tikiyaki
June 27th, 2006, 07:37 PM
NYC pizza is overrated in my book. When I was here circa '90-91 I remember it as being 'ono but now it seems like there are a lot of second-rate pizza joints around selling greasy, flavorless, over-processed pies. The good stuff is still there but it's very hit-or-miss.

You need to find the right place. In Manhattan, the pizza is not as good as it is in the boroughs (Queens, Brooklyn) and especially Long Island.
Alot of Manhattan pizza places are crappy,and don't go to a RAY'S looking for good NY 'za...Ray's is a tourist pizza place. The mom and pops are the best.

damontucker
July 3rd, 2006, 04:36 PM
To all you anchovy lovers:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060703/sc_nm/eu_anchovy_dc

"Anchovy fishing will be banned in the Bay of Biscay until the end of the year to preserve stocks, the European Commission said on Monday."

Better start stocking your shelves w/ them from the stores so that you can put em on your pizza by yourself.

It's not for me... Never understood the concept of fish on pizza :eek:

But then again...my wife can't understand the concept of pineapple on pizza :D

alohacandy
July 3rd, 2006, 05:42 PM
Is there anywhere on Oahu that makes thin crust pizza, like what one finds in Italy?

Try Antonio's New York Style Pizza across the freeway from Kahala Mall. I never used to like thin crust pizza (grew up in the Chicago area with their deep dish pizzas) but I absolutely love Antonio's pizzas. They get many of their ingredients in from the East Coast (they cousins who own the place are of Italian descent and from the East Coast).

AbsolutChaos
July 4th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Um, is there anyone who DISLIKES Boston's Pizza? I don't like the stuff at all...it gets cold quickly and tastes HORRIBLE if it's not completely fresh. I like my pizza with more leftover staying power...

:D

helen
July 4th, 2006, 12:56 AM
I never had a whole pizza from Boston North End. Just the slices to eat at the store.

craigwatanabe
July 4th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Try Antonio's New York Style Pizza across the freeway from Kahala Mall. I never used to like thin crust pizza (grew up in the Chicago area with their deep dish pizzas) but I absolutely love Antonio's pizzas. They get many of their ingredients in from the East Coast (they cousins who own the place are of Italian descent and from the East Coast).

They make this huge and I mean HUGE pizza. Once in the Clear Channel Jock room I saw this 3 x 3' (yes foot) pizza box with the words, "Antonio's Pizza" on it.

I ate there a couple of times and enjoyed it. And yes it's authentic East Coast stuff. I love thin crust, it's really the best way to eat a pizza as you taste more of the toppings than the bread with each bite.

Vanguard
July 4th, 2006, 04:39 AM

Thanks! I'll keep that one in mind! I'm glad to know someone in Oahu besides big name franchises is making thin crust pizzas.

I have never been to Italy

Beautiful place. Best country in Europe, IMO, if you ever visit :)

cprompt0806
July 4th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Anyone here been to La Pizza Rina? Its a little restaurant in South King. Their pizzas are good!

kimo55
July 4th, 2006, 09:23 AM
anyone remember bella venezia?

in kailua, just past Buzzes? it is now a church.
it's an old cinderblock building.

couple college kids there tried to make a go of an italian / pizzaria eatery. back in the late 60's

Erika Engle
July 9th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Um, is there anyone who DISLIKES Boston's Pizza? I don't like the stuff at all...it gets cold quickly and tastes HORRIBLE if it's not completely fresh. I like my pizza with more leftover staying power...

:D
My late beloved preferred Pizza Hut (and others) to Boston's, which in his opinion, didn't have "enough stuff" on 'em.

I on the other hand, really like the thin crust and amount of ingredients. My favorite pizza at Boston's is the white spino-and-gahlic (no tomato sauce, just wonderful Pecorino Romano cheese). One time I went, they had a white spinach and garlic pizza with artichokes on it. Delicious! An experiment, perhaps, as I've not seen it since the one time.

I'm trying to remember if I've ever met a pizza purveyor I didn't like ... and I can't. I pretty much love them all.

I REALLY hate pineapple on pizza, but I'm a person who doesn't want sweet with my savory. I love anchovies in caesar salad, but I don't think I've ever had 'em on pizza. I certainly wouldn't want the little buggers LOOKING at me, so they'd have to be anchovy filets, were I to be willing to try 'em.

lavagal
July 9th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I have to say Boston's isn't the best pizza I've ever had, but it's as close as one can get to a flat oily east-coast pizza as you can here. I don't think they put enough salt or enough cheese on them. But then again, if they did, I'd be pouring water down my throat all night to balance the sodium levels in my body.

The fact that their pizza is so nice and thin and oily redeems Boston's North End Pizza for me. I do not like Pizza Hut, and although it's a bargain, Costco ain't that great either. But the price is right!

Kid Two loves white pizza, and we just got back from NJ where she had her fill of it. That kid's favorite line is "hold the sauce!"

anapuni808
July 9th, 2006, 03:29 PM
The best pizza I ever had here was in a little pizza place in Waikiki, 1960's - I think it was in the Biltmore Hotel. They used to make me a thin crust, crab & green onion pizza that was delicious! Next on my list was a place in Oakland called Bella Napoli (early 1960's) and the best ever was a place called Chuck's Pizza in Des Moines Iowa (my home town). That one is still open - my high school class is having a reunion there next month. It was real Sicillian style pizza and also served these sandwiches called "Guinea Grinders" which were hot italian sausage made into patties, & served on grilled buns with onions & cheese. Hey, That was the name on the menu - didn't come from me. I still make one for myself occasionally at home.

beaker
July 10th, 2006, 10:01 AM
I make the only good pizza in Hilo.

damontucker
September 29th, 2006, 02:54 PM
any anchovie lovers?

MADRID, Spain - Millions of anchovies — a protected species in Europe — have died in northern Spain after an unexplained mass beaching, officials said Friday....
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060930/ap_on_sc/spain_beached_anchovies

Hellbent
September 29th, 2006, 04:43 PM
...plays music when hot and comes apart into special shapes that you can snap together to build a robot, you know? Just give me a pizza and a small tub of garlic butter, and I'm happy.

Actually, I'd like to see that!

I like Papa Johns for delivery, Pizza Hut for dine in, nothing like that hot Pan pizza with all the meat on it.

There was a nice place my friend introduced me to, it was by Che Michelle or something at the edge of waikiki. The guy was from Italy and didnt drown the pizza in red sauce and had toppings like provolone, artichoke hearts, prociutto (sp). Too bad he closed it down, it was tasty!
Magoos, I usually get a ham and cheese sub. Theyre burgers are pretty tasty too. Do they still have the sushi bar, or did that go away?

Fat Jeff
September 29th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Of the currently available options in Ewa Beach I'm partial to Bostons (extra cheese, pepperoni, & mushroom). The one time I tried Antonios in Kahala was good (spicy sauce!). Of the "brand name" places I'll vouch for Round Table. And when I'm back in Chicago I have to go to Italian Village on Pulaski for an unreal stuffed pizza.

But...

...a moment of silence for the late great Mama Mia's in Pucks Alley.

Rat droppings* , drug dealers* , and flakey delivery drivers, but whew...I liked that pizza.

*allegedly, as reported in the newspaper

craigwatanabe
September 29th, 2006, 06:20 PM
My late beloved preferred Pizza Hut (and others) to Boston's, which in his opinion, didn't have "enough stuff" on 'em.

I on the other hand, really like the thin crust and amount of ingredients. My favorite pizza at Boston's is the white spino-and-gahlic (no tomato sauce, just wonderful Pecorino Romano cheese). One time I went, they had a white spinach and garlic pizza with artichokes on it. Delicious! An experiment, perhaps, as I've not seen it since the one time.

I'm trying to remember if I've ever met a pizza purveyor I didn't like ... and I can't. I pretty much love them all.

I REALLY hate pineapple on pizza, but I'm a person who doesn't want sweet with my savory. I love anchovies in caesar salad, but I don't think I've ever had 'em on pizza. I certainly wouldn't want the little buggers LOOKING at me, so they'd have to be anchovy filets, were I to be willing to try 'em.

Wow that's exactly how I love my pizza's thin crust with spinich. My favorite is spinich, sausage and onion on a thin crust no tomato sauce.

AbsolutChaos
September 30th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Magoos, I usually get a ham and cheese sub. Theyre burgers are pretty tasty too. Do they still have the sushi bar, or did that go away?

They still have the sushi.

Glen Miyashiro
March 5th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Well, it's not like there was no warning. After suffering through years of road work, Big Kahuna's Pizza is finally leaving its Puʻuloa Road location. They're relocating to the Airport Trade Center at 550 Paiʻea Street -- that's the place where the airport Starbucks / Jamba Juice is. No word on the exact move date yet.

(Honolulu Advertiser (http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Mar/05/br/br2107846953.html))

oceanpacific
March 5th, 2007, 07:24 PM
My all-time favorite was from CHICO'S (where the Kaimuki City Mill is now located) called the HOMETOWNER: Canadian Bacon, Pineapple, slices of fresh tomato. These days, I'll order a take-out "Hawaiian pizza" (pineapple, ham) and top it off with my own tomatoes.

I also like vegetarian (green pepper, onion, mushroom, garlic, olive). I don't like pepperoni, but enjoy Italian sausage.

jimnyo
March 5th, 2007, 07:36 PM
eh, thanks for the heads up on big kahuna's move...i don't go as often as i like, but i'd have been so disappointed if i showed up and it was gone and didn't know where it went.

i can't stand the chain pizzas. boston's is ok. but my latest favorite is in kailua--mama's island pizza next to foodland and also, we just went to amina's (sp?) across from the jamba/starbucks in kailua on sunday b/c the line at teddy's was too long and it was pretty darned good. reminds me of the pizza at rosarina's down in chinatown, but a little better. been meaning to try antonios in kahala...

also, wish there were more places that sold pizza by the slice. any out there besides costco and boston's?

alohacandy
March 5th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I never used to be a thin crust pizza fan until I tried Antonio's in Kahala. They have a great lunch special....personal size pizza (actually about 8 or 9"), salad and drink for $5.99. I love mine with fresh spinach and tomatoes and my daughter likes the Pepperoni.

oceanpacific
March 5th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Isn't Mama's Pizza run by Ken Wilson, voice of the UH Rainbows in the mid-'70s, major league play-by-play announcer, and now with KHON-2? I'm going to try them when I'm on the windward side.

DannyWilliams
March 6th, 2007, 04:37 AM
While I was back home I rememba loving MAGOOS when they used to be in the Waimalu Shopping Plaza. Da pizza den aaaaaaw broke da mouth for me.
And my mom always dialed up for PIZZA HUT!

Now here I am in the Bay Area gotta mention some places that are pretty good with their pizzas here.

BLONDIES which I dunno if its still there cuz I haven't gone there in awhile is in San Francisco on Powell Street where the Cable Car Lines Begins. Very popular with the crowds whenever I am there. They also have another location in Downtown Berkeley.

PIZZA MY HEART is good too also. They are pretty much everyewhere in the Bay Area

AMICIS

awww mannn theres other places I have been too also

Erika Engle
March 10th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Isn't Mama's Pizza run by Ken Wilson, voice of the UH Rainbows in the mid-'70s, major league play-by-play announcer, and now with KHON-2? I'm going to try them when I'm on the windward side.

Yep, opened in Dec. 2005 by that very same Ken Wilson. Mama, BTW, is Ken's wife Marlene. They're real proud of their chicken wings, too, FYI.

Erika Engle
March 10th, 2007, 08:25 AM
My all-time favorite was from CHICO'S (where the Kaimuki City Mill is now located) called the HOMETOWNER: Canadian Bacon, Pineapple, slices of fresh tomato. These days, I'll order a take-out "Hawaiian pizza" (pineapple, ham) and top it off with my own tomatoes.

I also like vegetarian (green pepper, onion, mushroom, garlic, olive). I don't like pepperoni, but enjoy Italian sausage.

OMIGOSH! I used to love Chico's ... not that it would meet my pizza standards today, but when I was going to UH and living in a dorm ... they delivered AND took checks -- two very important considerations for me at the time.

I remember going there too, at least once ... crispy crust, ooey gooey cheese melted off the edges until it too, got crispy. I DO remember liking their tomato sauce, as it was rich and mellow-tasting, IIRC.

Pomai
March 15th, 2007, 11:17 AM
In related news today...

$1,000 pizza pie? That's amorč! (http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/15/news/funny/pizza.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes)
A New York restaurateur has cooked up the world's most extravagant pizza - a $1,000 pie topped with six kinds of caviar and fresh lobster.I hope the delivery driver arrives in a Bugatti.

I'm not one for "gourmet pizza", but I tried the Smoked Salmon and Caviar special from Wolfgang Puck Express once. The crust is baked first, then spread with softened cream cheese, then completely covered with thin slices of smoked salmon and garnished with caviar, capers and basil and EV olive oil. Very simple yet so ono! Reasonable too.. only $12 for the personal pie (it's a take-out, which explains that).

There's also the World's Most Expensive Sundae called the Golden Opulence (http://www.dailyolive.com/got_1000_why_no.html) from Serendipity of New York.

tikiyaki
March 15th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Being Italian, I just can't bring myself to buy Pizza from a guy named Wolfgang.
Nevermind the fact that he charges an arm and a leg for it. Him and his "California Pizza" - all the toppongs....what a load of hooey.

REAL, good pizza needs no toppings. Just the sauce and the cheeze. All that other stuff is a distraction to keep you from noticing that the crust and sauce are substandard. We have lots of that here in LA....and overpriced to boot. As a result, I eat alot less Pizza than I used to back on Long Island.

Pizza, was something you could always grab quick on the run...
Here it's a big sitdown thing, where they serve it to you like it's a big deal...It's friggin PIZZA....

Go to NY, or Chicago (Deep Dish!!!) and have Pizza there, from some mom and pop place named "Anthony's" or "Vinnies" Pizza, where they sell it by the slice from an 20-24" pie, and it's $1.50 a slice. I guarantee, you'll never buy Pizza from "Wolfgang" again.

And that guy from NY should be ashamed of himself...putting caviar on PIZZA. :mad:

Sorry, rant over. :p

Leo Lakio
March 15th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I just can't bring myself to buy Pizza from a guy named Wolfgang....or "puck." My dental expenses are high enough at present, thank you.

tikiyaki
March 15th, 2007, 01:18 PM
...or "puck." My dental expenses are high enough at present, thank you.

puck puck puck...er...I mean...yuk yuk yuk :D

Paul Ogata
March 15th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Go to NY, or Chicago (Deep Dish!!!) and have Pizza there, from some mom and pop place named "Anthony's" or "Vinnies" Pizza, where they sell it by the slice from an 20-24" pie, and it's $1.50 a slice.

Having performed in both cities last year, I got the opportunity to try their famous pizzas. And while the Chicago deep-dish style was good, nothing beats New York pizza. The only problem was finding a place that sold pizza in New York City... they're kind of scarce. </sarcasm>

I think the key to "New York style" is the attitude. You can get The Big New Yorker from Pizza Hut in Honolulu, but it's somehow not the same.

Here's what I mean. While watching a Jets game in New York (okay the stadium is technically in New Jersey, but whatever), I had to use the bathroom. So I found a fat cop standing against a wall near the concession stand. I asked, "Hey do you know where bathroom is?"

Without even looking at me, he said in his heavy Brooklyn accent, "Who knows."

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. When God takes away your ability to be nice to strangers who have to pee, He makes up for it by giving you the ability to make awesome pizza.

Chicagoans, you might want to start being a-holes to your tourists.

I used to love Mama Mia's cheese pizza with a side of ranch dressing. Mmmm. A hefty waitress turned me on to that. Always trust a big lady on food advice. She almost demanded that I try it.

blueyecicle
March 15th, 2007, 04:59 PM
There is a place in Oregon, actually a few...called Papa's Pizza Parlor.
So far the only pizza I have liked better has been in Chicago.

Leo Lakio
March 16th, 2007, 01:08 PM
When in Chicago, find Pizzaria Uno and (across the street) Pizzaria Due. NOT the national chain, but the original place from where the chain first started.

Best deep-dish I've ever had. New York style is a thinner crust, which is what I prefer.

But when I got separated from a school tour-group in Boston in 1976, and ended up wandering the Little Italy neighborhood - well, you can imagine how good the slices from a little corner pizzaria were.

tikiyaki
March 16th, 2007, 01:13 PM
When in Chicago, find Pizzaria Uno and (across the street) Pizzaria Due. NOT the national chain, but the original place from where the chain first started.

Best deep-dish I've ever had. New York style is a thinner crust, which is what I prefer.

But when I got separated from a school tour-group in Boston in 1976, and ended up wandering the Little Italy neighborhood - well, you can imagine how good the slices from a little corner pizzaria were.

when I was in Chicago, I made it a point to eat at Pizzaria Duo...A M A Z I N G !!!!

Definitely worth looking for.

buzz1941
March 16th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Mama's Island Pizza rocks. I also like Round Table. We're pretty well catered for, pizza-wise, in Kailua. Must be ten choices.

Lei K
March 16th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I hope one day to be able to try both Chicago and NYC style pizza. I watch all those shows on The Food Network about them and drool like Homer Simpson. I have a feeling I would prefer NYC style. How thin is the NYC crust? I'm a thin crust pizza lover.

Leo Lakio
March 16th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I have a feeling I would prefer NYC style. How thin is the NYC crust? I'm a thin crust pizza lover.It's thick enough to hold everything when you pick it up, but it's not European-style cracker-thin crust. You should be able to hold a single slice in one hand, folded down the middle from point-to-end, like the letter "V."

tikiyaki
March 16th, 2007, 03:05 PM
It's thick enough to hold everything when you pick it up, but it's not European-style cracker-thin crust. You should be able to hold a single slice in one hand, folded down the middle from point-to-end, like the letter "V."

...and a REALLY good crust, you don't even have to fold it, it just supports the whole deal. that's rare, and it usually happens when the pizza has cooled off and is reheated. The thing about the crust there, most people say it's the water (or WAUGHTUGH, as we say), which is probably true. Also, those OTIS ovens they cook it in.

I also like wood oven and brick oven pizza, which is fancy for NY standards, where the "norm" is the regular OTIS metal ovens.

However...not ALL NY pizza is good. Contrary to popular belief, the much touted RAY's Pizza sucks. People always talk about Ray's...I've never had a good slice from a Ray's Pizza (there are many)

To me, the best Pizza is in the boroughs....Queens and Brooklyn and Long Island. The little mom and pop places.

Chicago is a whole different deal, but I LOVE it. That deep dish crust is so good.

buzz1941
March 16th, 2007, 05:56 PM
The worst is California Pizza Kitchen. If I wanted raw dough, oil and lawn clippings as food, I could make that at home.

Jake's Ohana
March 16th, 2007, 07:14 PM
My fondest memories of pizza was in college in San Diego. My last year my room mate and I lived across the street from a local pizza joint. Oh...they had broke da mouth pizza. For starters, they offered regular or whole wheat crust. Second, the pizza sauce came from a secret recipe that had a little spice to it. The cheese was tasty, but most importantly, they wrapped the crust over which contained their secret pizza sauce inside. The last bite was as good as the first.

What struck me with this pizza experience was that there were only 2 other locations of this pizza joint, San Jose, CA and Oregon. When my father left the islandz for mainland college in Oregon, he too, experienced this pizza joint during his college daze. He mentioned that it was an unforgettable tasting pizza.

I can remember many of nites out with the fellas while trying to sober up and chowing on Woodstock's Pizza. Yummm! Yummm! On sundays my room mate and I hosted pizza parties in our apartment while watching Married With Children and The Simpsons (early 90's) Brings back some wild memories.:D

kdramafan
March 25th, 2007, 07:56 PM
When I was station in the Washington D.C. area in the early 1980's. Pizza Hut offered for a limited time a Pizza with shreded barbeque pork on it. Tasted just like the barbeque pork my co-worker use to bring back from North Carolina. The wife, kids and I use to go at once a week to Pizza Hut to eat that pizza. It was a big hit in that area that they brought it back twice more.

For me locally I am a Papa John fan love the hand toss crust and lots of jalapenos. Also can't get enough of the garlic sause. Unfortunately for me thought most people in my household prefer Pizza Hut. And a number of them order theeir pizza without tomato sauce, what is up with that.

Just purchased a "Presto 03430 Pizzazz Pizza Oven" from Amazon.com for $34. Can anyone recommend some good store brought pizza.

achow
March 26th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Here are some of my favorites:

Pizza Hut- Pepperoni and Supreme
California Pizza Kitchen
Boston's Pizza- Spinach and Garlic
Papa John's Pizza

alohabear
March 26th, 2007, 06:57 PM
In Hilo there's a small shop called Pizza Hawaii. They are located in the Puainako Towncenter , the pizza is the best in town and blows Pizza hut away in taste.

Palama Kid
March 27th, 2007, 02:33 PM
PIZZA MY HEART is good too also. They are pretty much everyewhere in the Bay Area

I'm not exactly a pizza fan, but whenever I'm near one of the many Pizza My Hearts in Willow Glen, Campbell, Santa Cruz, etc. or near San Jose State, I usually grab a slice for five bucks because they throw in one of their t-shirts . . . stenciled with the city name.

I like the red surfboard logo (see? a link to Hawaii) & take several t-shirts with me whenever I know I'm gonna be stuck in Hawaii for any extended length of time. You can always use a white t-shirt.

I've tried several different pizza slices and I agree with Danny; they're pretty good.

If I'm going out for pizza, PIZZA CHICAGO is more my style. I especially like their vegetarian pizza with the thick bread-like crust.

Lei K
March 27th, 2007, 02:45 PM
The best pizza I had so far (never been to NYC or Chicago) was in Ventura (CA). I think the place was called Pizza Chief? Or something like that. It's relatively close to the pier.

Leo Lakio
March 27th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I usually grab a slice for five bucks because they throw in one of their t-shirtsA five-buck slice? OK, with a free t-shirt, that's better.

Is a second slice cheaper? You can say, "I already have the shirt, thanks."

DannyWilliams
March 27th, 2007, 07:09 PM
A five-buck slice? OK, with a free t-shirt, that's better.

Is a second slice cheaper? You can say, "I already have the shirt, thanks."

uhhhhh no just whatever the standard price per slice and the warm friendly service. :D

Kaukura
March 27th, 2007, 08:06 PM
The absolute best pizza i've ever had was in Hermosa Beach, California. It was called "Pedones Pizza".

I used to like North Beach Pizza in San Francisco in the 80's (but it changed after that). Tommasso's also was a good place.

I have fond memories of my childhood eating Straw Hat Pizza, but I dont' think that chain exists anymore (or has for years).

Haven't tried much pizza here in Honolulu. Most people seem to order Pizza Hut or Papa Murphys (here at work anyways). I'm sure I'd enjoy the smaller home made pizzeries better. Moving next week to the lower Makiki area from the Punchbowl, so I;m sure I'llhave a better chance to sample some other pizza places..

Hurricane350
March 31st, 2007, 02:45 PM
Anywhere on Oahu sell Chicago style deep dish pizza?

MixedPlateBroker
September 3rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Big Kahuna (http://onokinegrindz.typepad.com/ono_kine_grindz/2006/02/big_kahuna_pizz.html) by the airport is as close as it gets, Hurricane.

I miss the deep-dish joint that used to be around the corner from Cinerama Theater (before it became a Checkers) on Kalakaua.

cynsaligia
September 3rd, 2007, 09:07 PM
I miss the deep-dish joint that used to be around the corner from Cinerama Theater (before it became a Checkers) on Kalakaua.

after weeks of us both trying to remember the name of the place every time we drove past kalakaua, i finally used ask.com to look up "pizza, kalakaua avenue" and discovered it was called emilio's pizza. i never had their pizza, which i know many said was cheap and amongst the best in town, but i did adore their carbonara, and it was in their restaurant that i first had escargot. unfortunately, in its latter years, whoever was in the kitchen performed very inconsistently. when it was good, it was heavenly. when it was bad...well, let's just say i was once served a carbonara with a "broken" sauce. :eek:

another pizza joint we miss is magoo's. they had the best pepperoni in town AND they delivered to eric's place. *sigh*

pizza hut lost both of us two years ago one night when we ordered delivery from them and it came almost two hours later. its better bites were cold and chewy; its worst had the texture of biscotti, but cheesily greasy. bleh.

my favorite delivery pizza now is papa john's thin crust, extra sauce, pepperoni, tomato and mushroom, with anchovies (what??!! that's what bagoong is made of, so of course anchovies are scrumptious to me!) and jalapenos or banana peppers on the side. i prefer to sprinkle dried oregano, basil and garlic powder on the pizza according to my whim versus use their special seasoning or garlic sauce. sometimes, i like to pour a little balsamic dressing on the pizza, which i'm sure some find disgusting. eh, better than eating pizza with ranch dressing, which is something my ex got me doing until i came to my senses.

glossyp
September 4th, 2007, 06:46 AM
We happened to be out in Kailua on Friday and found that Bob's Pizzeria had finally opened. It is in the spot formerly occupied by Deb's Ribs & Old School Soul Food next to Braun Urgent Care Clinic and just across the road from Kalapawai Market. Boston-style which means it's all about the crust - it was perfect. The sauce could definitely use more zing, but overall a decent pie. The better half was thrilled at the possibility of ordering a pizza topped with anchovies and artichoke hearts (I managed to dissuade him on this visit). They also have calzones. BTW, if you order a slice, you get like half a pie, so you have been warned! I think the price per "slice" is about $5. The place was packed on Friday and again on Sunday when we stopped by.

Fritz
May 13th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Saw the current pizza thread and dug this one up to bump it. Figured there had to be a best pizza thread already here.

I'm from Chicago and I and everyone I know there prefers thin crust pizza. The "Chicago style pan pizza" as a local favorite is a tourism urban legend. Sure, if you're feeding a 9 year old's birthday party or filling a buffet for beer-drinkers, stuff 'em full of bread. But if you're enjoying dinner with your family, stick to the good stuff.

My favorite place for pizza is in a village on the edge of the city called Elmwood Park. The restaurant is named Armands, no apostrophe.www.armandspizzeria.com/armands/armandreviews.htm Armands has been in business, at the same location longer than the 50 odd years I have been around.

Pepperoni doesn't belong on pizza, it should be on a submarine sandwich. Italian sausage is the only meat that should be on pizza. My nephew from California went to Armands, when he was a teenager, and asked for pineapple on his pizza. He was soundly rebuked. Check the menu on the link, pineapple is not listed as a topping. You order pineapple on your pizza, you may earn a wedgie.

I would like to try more pizza on Oahu. Magoo's sounds interesting. Did I hear it's closed? Papa John's is a joke and Pizza Hut is barely edible. Mama's in Kailua is another one that sounds interesting. My favorite so far is Round Table. Plus they have Bear's games.

Walkoff Balk
January 15th, 2014, 09:29 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/14/news/companies/pizza-hut-single-slice/index.html

Mo small?

GregLee
January 16th, 2014, 02:42 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/14/news/companies/pizza-hut-single-slice/index.html

Mo small?
I saw this thread crop up early this morning, and I was forced to fix a slice of pizza for myself. Here is how I fix single slices at home:

I get a Safeway "Take-n-Bake" pizza -- they are cooked and refrigerated (not frozen), meant to be warmed up at home, and come in two sizes, several kinds -- cheese, pepperoni, sausage, supreme (both pepperoni and sausage), and occasionally some more exotic kinds. (If it were up to me, I'd always get sausage, but if it were up to her, my wife would always get pepperoni.)

These are whole pizzas, but I only want to fix a slice at a time. When I get it home, I cut it up into slices, fold back the plastic wrap it comes in, sprinkle with crushed red pepper, and sometimes add shredded mozzarella or grated parmesan. I wrap it back up and keep it in the fridge.

When I want to eat a slice, I moisten with water the bottom and top, optionally add more fillings (sliced mushrooms, ground black pepper, onions, more cheese, ...) and heat it in a 400deg toaster oven until the cheese is melted and the crust has started to brown. Moistening helps the crust be more droopy, soft, and pizza-like and less stiff, dry, and bread-like.

Is it good? It's better than frozen pizza fixed at home. Of course, it can't compete with fresh cooked restaurant pizza. It's not bad. It's convenient.

Ron Whitfield
January 16th, 2014, 02:53 PM
I've never put pizza in the frig for later, pizza is for now.

Hiu
February 11th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I wanted to mention Maui best pizza source, Outrigger Pizza Company. Full details can be seen here; http://www.outriggerpizzas.com

The operation is not a sit down restaurant, rather a portable wood stove which travels to scheduled locations on a regular basis. The schedule is on their site.

The crust is amazing. I feel it puts to shame any other crust on the island, certainly all chains! It has been my favorite after a half dozen visits, so it's not like I it has my attention because it's new. The crust is thin and crisp, the way it should be! LOL

$10 (tax included) gets you a pizza that is ~12" in diameter. The varieties available isn't too extensive, but every one I've had was awesome. I visit them when they are in Kihei, Tuesdays and Fridays.

I have no connection other than a big fan of quality pizza.

Walkoff Balk
March 10th, 2014, 10:59 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sbarro-files-second-bankruptcy-mall-134722576.html

The pizza market is too crowded.

GregLee
March 11th, 2014, 03:46 AM
I ran across 2 forums on pizza making:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php, mostly about making them at home,
http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/welcome-to-the-pmq-think-tank-read-here-before-continuing.106/, mostly oriented to the pros.

Hiu
March 25th, 2014, 07:28 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sbarro-files-second-bankruptcy-mall-134722576.html

The pizza market is too crowded.

With junk pizza. :(

Walkoff Balk
June 3rd, 2014, 09:10 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/food/foods-that-should-never-be-skinny-87617317861.html

Skinny pizza is the same as frozen pizza.

kdramafan
September 28th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Finally converted family over the Papa John's. Or maybe because we only order pizza from them on Wednesday when it's Web Wednesday & pizzas are $10. They really like the new Hawaiian (Tropical Luau) pizza. It comes with green peppers & less cheese (less calories).

helen
April 25th, 2020, 02:05 PM
I tend to get pizza from Papa John from time to time mainly because it kind of close to home. Domino's is also close by but the times I used them was for stuff other than pizza. Nothing against their pizza but they do have a wider selection of food types like salads and sandwiches which Papa John doesn't offer.

matapule
April 25th, 2020, 04:19 PM
I tend to get pizza from Papa John from time to time mainly because it kind of close to home. Domino's is also close by but the times I used them was for stuff other than pizza. Nothing against their pizza but they do have a wider selection of food types like salads and sandwiches which Papa John doesn't offer.

Both Papa John's and Domino's are owned by right wing, anti-gay extremists. Every dollar spent in their establishments go to support their ultra-conservative, Republican ideology. Yes, you do vote with your dollars. They give big bucks to support the so-called president and his agenda. I will not patronize them, no matter how close to home they are.

Walkoff Balk
September 7th, 2021, 07:48 PM
DOH temporarily closes Maui pizza restaurant for roach infestation (khon2.com) (https://www.khon2.com/local-news/doh-temporarily-closes-maui-pizza-restaurant-for-roach-infestation/)

Hold the anchovies and kakaroaches!