Hawaii voters decry federal action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii voters decry federal action

Voter reaction to the massive federal bailout of financial institutions has been overwhelmingly negative, according to Hawaii congressional offices.

"This is madness to ask us, the taxpayers, to cover the liabilities of Wall Street," wrote one man in an e-mail to U.S. Rep. Neil Abercrombie. "We are tired of being fleeced."

A woman e-mailed to Abercrombie: "As a hardworking and responsible citizen, I am opposed to the use of taxpayers' money to redeem private businesses who are where they are today because they built a poor business model, failed to assess the risks in their ventures, and basically were driven by greed."

Read the rest @ http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200...al_action.html

Give me and the others your COMMENTS!

I think it a FAR PAST THE APPROPRIATE TIME FOR THE TAXPAYERS TO STOP BAILING OUT PRIVATE BUSINESSES THAT HAVE MADE MILLIONS!
    http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Re: Hawaii voters decry federal action

What would happen if we DO NOT bail the two mortgage giants out?

I hear from every by-the-book economists that we should just let the market work itself out and not advocate government intervention.

It is a big gamble to give these corporations high-interest government loan, that IF ... a big IF ... they can straighten themselves out, they can start paying back the government with said high interest.

Maybe it's the way I was brought up, but I see Wall Street as a sanctioned way to gamble your money.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      What would happen if we DO NOT bail the two mortgage giants out?.
      We run the risk of everyone running to their bank and withdrawing their assets. That of course would result in the collapse of our financial system and another depression.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

We run the risk of everyone running to their bank and withdrawing their assets.

After perusing various manure-based internet writings (and I use the term loosely), I am even more convinced that Monday might be a historical day.

I'm gonna head to the ATM right now.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
          We run the risk of everyone running to their bank and withdrawing their assets. That of course would result in the collapse of our financial system and another depression.
          But my money are not in Freddie Mac or Fanny Mae, nor are they in WaMu.

Shouldn't we just let the market sort itself out like the universe?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
            Shouldn't we just let the market sort itself out like the universe?
            Yes, that is the rational thing to do. But the American consumer is irrational.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Even tho' half my retirement money is in money market funds, I was maintaining some sort of rationality...'til a couple of days ago. Even my kids are wondering what's happening to me 'cuz I was the one keeping them calm; telling them to ride out the financial storm. Don't worry. The market will rebound. Yada. Yada. And now there's a bit of alarm in my voice. Dayam...should the unthinkable happen I don't have enough years left to make up the loss. And who wants a 95 year old casting director, anyway?!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                And who wants a 95 year old casting director, anyway?!
                Do as I have told my daughters (and what I am doing), leave your retirement in the market. Better days are ahead. And besides you will always have a home at Matapule's fale. I have a soft spot in my heart for sexy 95 y.o. casting directors.

Comment

[...]I have a soft spot in my heart for sexy 95 y.o. casting directors.
                  I really shouldn't use my avatar so indiscriminately. It seems to have such a profound effect on men...

Comment

Yes, that is the rational thing to do. But the American consumer is irrational.
                    Then again, maybe it's time to write a new economy textbook.

Comment

Working...
                    X