Giant bees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant bees?

What's up with these gigantic black bumblebee-looking things? They're driving me bonkers! One seems to have taken up residence in our new garden hose, and there's another one that loves to buzz loudly around my bedroom window, right over my head. And another one that just seems to like to buzz aimlessly around me while I'm gardening. They're so loud! What are these things?
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: giant bees?

Those are gigantic black bumblebees!

Called woodborers, I think. You see their handiwork in old wood. The perfectly circular puka's about 1/2" is the entrance to their hale.
    They don't want to bother you, just a wave will usually have them gone, but the black ones are male and have a stinger. The females are golded color and are harmless.
    I kinda like them, unless you run into one when on bike or whatever.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Here is one I shot at Kapiolani Garden

flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

awesome pic.

yeah, we have one hanging around the eaves of our cottage. i do believe he has managed to burrow a nice looking hole and is making his home there. if so, do you think a female could be hiding in there?
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
          Here is one I shot at Kapiolani Garden
          You don't mean with a gun, do you?! (Only kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!) That is a beautiful photo...love all the detail!!

Comment

nah, I wouldn't hurt the lil bugga, i only shoot animals with my Nikon.

I aint sayin I wouldn't step on one of those big ol cane spiders, <shivvvvvers>!
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

http://www.eduwebs.org/bugs/bumble_bee.htm

"Large and lumbering, black and yellow bumble bee adults are important pollinators of a variety of plants. Measuring from 3/4 inch up to 1 inch in length, these fuzzy insects make a loud droning buzz as they fly somewhat awkwardly from flower to flower. They are important pollinators. "

I'm scared of Bumble Bees!

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Giant bees?

We call them Carpenter bees. When they hang around your eaves, you can bet you got somekind of wood rot action going on. They don't bore into "healthy" wood. That being said, we have 3 or 4 spots on our house where there are 1/2" diameter holes. I gotta get them fixed one of these days.

These buggahs do sting, but their sting is way less painful that regular honey bees. It's their size and loud buzzing that freaks people out more than anything else. When disturbed, they take to dive bombing your head, but never seem to get around to stinging. They also give up quickly and fly away. For their size, they're also fragile. Doesn't take much of a swat to bring one down and it usually dies.

Comment

Yep, they're definitely carpenter bees. When they build their nests they leave a hole about the size of a quarter. Can't miss 'em.
                  Try Google for more info.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    Yep, they're definitely carpenter bees. When they build their nests they leave a hole about the size of a quarter. Can't miss 'em.
                    I remember those bees small kid time. We use to pound the side of a wooden posts used for a pasture fence that had a small hole in it. Then, it came out flying where we practice our baseball swings trying to hit it. They didn't make holes in telephone poles because those were covered with tar.

Comment

Working...
                    X