• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese monkey waiters

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph...y-waiters.html

They're so cute!

Re: Japanese monkey waiters

I saw this on the news last night and just love the idea! I had a monkey as a playmate for a coupla years when I was a kid and I continue to have an incredible fondness for them. Choochee was a complete rascal but was always kind and gentle with me. He seemed to respect that I was just a little kid. He was my bud! That said, he would not have been a good choice for this or any other job!

Comment

I am not a lawyer but I can see a world of liability problems. The video is amazing. Factor in a little genetic engineering and or drugs and you could easily increase worldwide unemployment by 50%.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
        I am not a lawyer but I can see a world of liability problems. [...]
        Not to mention visits from the Health Dept.!

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
          They're so cute!
          Which ones? I wasn't amused.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
            Which ones? I wasn't amused.
            All of the monkeys. Not that I condone the use of monkeys to supplement human labor, but I haven't seen monkeys for a long time!

Comment

as many headlines are prone to be this one is particularly in bad taste. the monkeys are in japan they are not japanese. any one who remembers the horrible propaganda cartoons and the like from the 40s should shudder at this ill written headline.(they are cute and it is a clever idea)
              the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                as many headlines are prone to be this one is particularly in bad taste. the monkeys are in japan they are not japanese. any one who remembers the horrible propaganda cartoons and the like from the 40s should shudder at this ill written headline.(they are cute and it is a clever idea)
                I see your point, I didn't see the racist overtones at the time. I am extremely sorry to have proliferated that phrase. If the thread title can be changed, anyone who can do so is welcome. Again, I apologize profusely.

Comment

It's a silly quibble. Japanese monkeys - monkeys in Japan; Japanese city - city in Japan; Japanese river - river in Japan; Japanese tradition - tradition in Japan. They are synonymous phrases and not subject to misinterpretation. Since the phrase refers to monkeys, it is more than obvious that it doesn't refer to people. Clearly, the monkeys are working in Japan and respond to Japanese commands, so calling them Japanese monkeys is not outrageous or inflammatory. The complete phrase could be misinterpreted to mean people who wait on Japanese monkeys, of course.
                  Last edited by salmoned; October 10, 2008, 08:54 AM.
                  May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

And don't anyone dare quibble with linguistic rulings of the mighty, mighty salmoned --- or you risk accusation of being anti-semantic.

Comment

The Pearl City Tavern had monkeys. You'd be sitting there having a cold one, and in front of you a monkey would eat a giant cockroach. Yeeech
                      Burl Burlingame
                      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                      X