Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beans, Nuts and Seeds

Spanish Cocktail

My girlfriend recently picked up this snack tray called "Spanish Cocktail" from Whole Foods in Kahala Mall. It consists of Corn Nuts, Pistachios, Larguenta Almonds, Fava Beans and Chic Peas, prepared using vegetable oil, flour and sea salt. The brand is Mitica, an import from Spain. It's not labeled as organic.

They're fantastic! If you're a fan of cocktail nuts and beans, and in Whole Foods, look this product up. It's packaged in a clear plastic tray. I especially like the Fava beans (those are the light tan, large oval-shaped pieces in the batch). They're a bit salty, but in a tolerable way. I think they're all deep fried, which is what gives everything in this a crispy airiness to it.

At the recent Portuguese Festa, I also tried these fantastic Lupini beans, called "Tremocos" in Portuguese (c pronounces as "s")...

Lupini Beans

They're boiled for hours until tender and lightly salted. They have a hybrid taste and texture similar to boiled peanuts and kidney beans. Good stuff!

Then you have the principles of a macrobiotic diet over at Mana Bu's (a musubi boutique shop)...

Mana Bu's 10-Grain Musubi (Ume style)

This is one of their signature items called a 10-Grain Musubi. This one with Ume (a pickled plum) in the center. It's made with Lentils, Red Lentils, Flax seeds, Amaranth, Quinoa, Millet, Pearl Barley, Pressed Barley, brown sweet rice & short grain white rice.

I'm equally a happy camper with a bag of pumpkin seeds.

What's your favorites?
    Last edited by Pomai; October 11, 2008, 11:46 AM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Beans, Nuts and Seeds

Oh shoot, I don't remember the name of the mix but a mainland friend sent me a trail type mix with mac nuts, chunks of ginger, dried cranberries and more. OMG...heaven! They also sent me a chili spiced dried mango that was to die for. I could live on those 2 items alone!

Comment

Re: Beans, Nuts and Seeds

I'm nuts about nuts. My favorite is pistachios, even with the humbug task of shelling them. I also like macadamia. And Diamond Smokehouse Almonds, which goes very well when drinking a martini (when I'm in a martini mood).

As for beans, edamame is pretty good.

Comment

Working...
      X