No announcement yet.

Inexpensive replacement desktop (WinPC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive replacement desktop (WinPC)

So I've got the DSL installed, got the router installed, and downloads are certainly faster. But my 128mb memory and my 333mhz Celeron processor are limiting my ability to open multiple windows and just generally give the appearance of being slower than I'd hoped.

I think I want to buy a new desktop machine with larger disk capacity,faster processor and more memory, but I don't want to spend a fortune, because I'm probably going to have to spend about $450 for the latest MS-Office package.

Circuit City and Office Depot each feature e-Machines at the low end and Compaq/HP or Sony at the upper end. I know virtually nothing about e-Machines except that one of the guys at Office Depot says he's had very little return or complaint about them. I've heard one negative comment about HP; Compaq (same company, I know) hasn't crossed my radar screen in a long time.

Anyone got any stories/advice to share?
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Inexpensive replacement desktop (WinPC)

eMachines are nice little computers. I have bought three eMachines PCs - the oldest is from 1997 and all are still running - and generally have had good luck with them. A few comments:

Go with 512MB of RAM, minimum. More if you do graphics and video, or think you might in the future.

You can never have too much hard disk space.

Have you considered OpenOffice as an alternative to MS Office?

I had to replace an eMachines power supply once because the bearings on the fan had given out, and found that their power supplies are a nonstandard size. Many stores do carry the correct replacement size, so it's not a big problem, but be aware that you can't just swap in any old power supply.

Comment

How much do you want to spend?

Prolly, I can help you shop around, and possibly build you a computer.

Emachines are a good brand, especially if you'll only be using it for web browsing and word processing. If you'll be playing games, then I suggest you get one with a upgradable graphic card.

Here's the minimal specs I think you should get:

- A computer with atleast a 2.5ghz processor (Intel or AMD, doesn't matter)
      - 256mb RAM (for word processing, and internet surfing; 512 for anything else and for long term)
      - 60gb Hard Drive (trust me, you'll want to get it since there's a lot of things you can do with DSL)
      - integrated sound
      - CD burner
      - USB 2.0 and firewire (to upload photos and to extend the computer's capabilities)
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I don't play computer games [not that there's anything wrong with that ]; my usage is WP, Spreadsheet, and possibly DB mgmt. Obviously web browsing goes along with that.

adri1456, you've got the specs I've been looking at pretty much down, particularly memory and processor speed. I need Ethernet, too, but as long as there's a slot I can put a $14 card in myself if I need to. One of the recurring problems I've had, both with this machine and with the previous one, is video cards going out. I'm using a monitor I probably didn't have to buy because I replaced the old one when I had frequent screen problems. I just wasn't smart enough to realize it was the card rather than the monitor.

I see e-Machines products that pretty much have those specs for about $500; like I said, if I'm gonna blow another $450 on Office, $1,000 is about the limit.

Glen, have you used OpenOffice? I've been hearing about it for two years, but I've never investigated it. If it's really fully compatible with MS products, then I'm interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
          I don't play computer games [not that there's anything wrong with that ]; my usage is WP, Spreadsheet, and possibly DB mgmt. Obviously web browsing goes along with that.

adri1456, you've got the specs I've been looking at pretty much down, particularly memory and processor speed. I need Ethernet, too, but as long as there's a slot I can put a $14 card in myself if I need to. One of the recurring problems I've had, both with this machine and with the previous one, is video cards going out. I'm using a monitor I probably didn't have to buy because I replaced the old one when I had frequent screen problems. I just wasn't smart enough to realize it was the card rather than the monitor.

I see e-Machines products that pretty much have those specs for about $500; like I said, if I'm gonna blow another $450 on Office, $1,000 is about the limit.

Glen, have you used OpenOffice? I've been hearing about it for two years, but I've never investigated it. If it's really fully compatible with MS products, then I'm interested.
          I heard that OpenOffice is a good alternative, and it has its ups and downs.

I used the reald deal ever since I learned to use it, but since its free, then what you've got to lose?

And about the computer, get one with integrated graphics if you don't need it right now. They're good for people who don't have that extra money to get a card and are easily upgradable. Just look for a computer with an open AGP slot.

And if you check Sears, then you can get a good system for $500 (less if you don't get a monitor). My uncle has one (a Compaq with an Intel Celeron 1.2ghz processor, with integrated graphics and sound, 40 gb Hard drive, and included NIC and 56kbps modem) and so far, it works good for a refurbished computer. The person had MS Works on it, but I guess it was already preinstalled when it was bought new.

Also, since school is almost back, check for good deals at CompUSA or Circuit City.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I'll be damned. Sears sells computers again? I thought they got out of that business. I just looked at their web site, and they've got about 25 Compaq/HP machines.

I've been to Circuit City, and they're short inventory at the moment. Haven't been to CompUSA yet.

Comment

Have you tried Wal-Mart?

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                I have had it on my PC for more than a year, and use it occasionally, but I haven't used it exclusively since I also have a copy of MS Office.

However, OpenOffice has smoothly opened every MS Office document I've thrown at it, except Access databases, and it can automatically generate PDF files to boot. (That last feature may be reason enough to get it: you can take your MS Office documents, import them into OpenOffice, and export them as PDF files, without having to own a copy of Adobe Acrobat.)

Comment

I've set up several friends with eMachines boxes, and there have been no major problems attributable to the manufacturer. As long as the user is a "casual user" and not a hardcore gamer, designer, or number cruncher, they're perfect, affordable, entry-level machines. I'm thinking of picking up one soon, in fact, to replace my mom's old Pentium II Dell box.

I agree, the RAM is key -- if there's one thing you pay to upgrade, that should be it.

Apart from the eMachines I'm thinking about, though, our family is 100 percent Dell. Oddly enough, I've always bought from their overstock/refurbished warehouse, so have never owned their best-and-latest machine. I like their "Dell Outlet" 'cause I get reasonably good warranty protection, a reasonably decent machine, and a much better price. (Usually I "sort by price" and grab the cheapest box they've got with all the features I need... $300-450.)

I'm not sure if I'd ever buy a PC from Sears. CompUSA, Circuit City, maybe, and of course CostCo, but...

Comment

The first PC (as distinct from our old MacPlus) we bought was a Packard Bell from Sears. It lasted about 6 years.

Glen, you're right about generating .pdf files. That would be a good reason to acquire OO.

Pzarquon, I've looked at the Dell outlet store (hey, shouldn't there be one at Waikele?) but I haven't tried that particular sort. Guess I should. What's the shipping time/fee like?

Helen, I haven't tried Wal-Mart yet; I often forget they're there.

Keep the suggestions coming, folks; I appreciate them all!

Comment

CompUSA is selling eMachines in the $600 to $800 price range but it does not come with a monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                        CompUSA is selling eMachines in the $600 to $800 price range but it does not come with a monitor.
                        Well, I guess I should go out to Waikele and look around. It's very dangerous for me to do that, though; there's a Borders there.

I've got a year-old KDS 17-inch monitor; no need. Although the footprint on the thing is humongous.

Comment

Just for the record that was the Ala Moana Blvd. store that had them. Don't know about the Waikele store but it might be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                            Just for the record that was the Ala Moana Blvd. store that had them. Don't know about the Waikele store but it might be the same.
                            If each store is autonomous, what's the point of being a chain?

Thanks, Helen.

Comment

gateway acquired emachines awhile back so that tells you alot.
                              Fair and Balanced

Comment

Working...
                              X