Kitchen remodel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen remodel

I'm planning on remodeling my kitchen - but I don't know any contractors who are trustworthy and inexpensive - anyone suggest anyone?

Re: Kitchen remodel

Originally posted by rosiev View Post
    I'm planning on remodeling my kitchen - but I don't know any contractors who are trustworthy and inexpensive - anyone suggest anyone?
    Inexpensive? Remember -- you get what you pay for. The cheapest bid usually isn't the best deal.
    Used to be that all the good contractors were booked up waaaaay in advance, but with the economy going bad their availability is improving.
    What part of the island do you live in? (That'll help us in giving you suggestions.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Lone Wolf Builders. Jay Soares is a sharp guy and a great craftsman.

Solid Surface Technologies. I saw them install a custom Corian countertop that fit with amazing precision.

Hanan Katz, Layout Etc. Nice cabinetry work. http://layout-etc.com/

Comment

Essential Cabinet Refacing did a great job for us in 2004 and it's held up very well.

http://www.ecrhawaii.com/

If the cabinet boxes are good and you're not moving things around, then new countertops with cabinet refacing and rigid thermofoil cabinet doors will make a huge impact for a lot less money.
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

My advice is to hire someone good and this means spending some kala. I just finished remodeling my kitchen by MYSELF. It took my over a year and a half to finished only about nine month behind schedule. I built all of the cabinets from scratch, big mistake. I should have just bought some pre-fab stuff. New synthetic wood flooring and all new larger windows. I’ll try to post some pics later.
          808Dad

Comment

Originally posted by 808Dad View Post
            My advice is to hire someone good and this means spending some kala. I just finished remodeling my kitchen by MYSELF. It took my over a year and a half to finished only about nine month behind schedule. I built all of the cabinets from scratch, big mistake. I should have just bought some pre-fab stuff. New synthetic wood flooring and all new larger windows. I’ll try to post some pics later.
            808Dad
            wow!!! in the end it was well worth it?

congrats!!!
            stay forever young

Comment

The good part about building your own kitchen cabinets is that you can finish that build with a wide varity of cabinet doors that have all the molding routed in already in a good selection of wood tones including doors that have clear and frosted glass wood-framed faces.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

[B]Within the last decade, I designed and installed two kitchens. The first time, I had a cabinet maker construct custom-built kitchen (19) and bathroom (6) cabinets of maple plywood for $10,500. He moved to Oregon and assigned the contract to another builder to install (I still owed $1500), but when it was time, the guy "disappeared" - his phone nos. were "out-of-service," including new ones I got from the state tax department. So, being a DIY kind of a guy, I decided to install it as part of my home renovation project (we had added 2896 sq. ft. to the house). The hardest part was the removal of the non-standard site-built cabinets which I salvaged and re-installed in the garage for storage. I had to install new drywall, remove the old vinyl tile flooring befor installing the cabinets. I must have learned something from HOMETIME and other such cable programs to finish the basic job within three weeks. I initially installed sheet vinyl flooring, which I replaced a few years later with wood laminate planks. The countertop fabricator was impressed by how level the cabinets were installed.

The second kitchen used MDF standard-sized pre-fab cabinets from Home Depot to replace the non-standard cabinets. I had obviously gained more experience as the job took less than two weeks. I had to re-build a short wall which was part of the kitchen pass-through. The Corian countertops fit perfectly.

I'd never be able to do it again these days due to my physical decline. Time catches up with us all, I call the professionals now for home needs. But, there was an sense of accomplishment after getting through these projects./B]

Comment

What made this rebuild hard was that the home was built in 1921 with of course with single wall T&G. I had to re-enforce all of the walls and flooring before starting. Not to mention getting a permit from the National Historical Society to start. There was a lot of red tape both nationally and locally. Yeah in the end I did learn A LOT and my wife likes it which is the main thing right!
                  808Dad

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                    Lone Wolf Builders. Jay Soares is a sharp guy and a great craftsman.

Solid Surface Technologies. I saw them install a custom Corian countertop that fit with amazing precision.

Hanan Katz, Layout Etc. Nice cabinetry work. http://layout-etc.com/

we used solid surface to install two corian countertops several years ago. am very pleased. just make sure you wipe up any water or else it will leave a mark.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    reflect, repent and reboot.
                    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I've yet to tackle the full dreaded kitchen remodel......I can say that when
                      we did the 4 bathrooms we used Naka's Marble on Sand Island for the
                      Corian work. They did an awesome job of sinks and shower pans as well
                      as floor to ceiling Corian shower walls. They did a cool caddy and patterned
                      textured shower floor eliminating the need for one of those rubber mats.
                      My MIL tried to replicate our showers in MN but the contractor had no clue
                      how to do what Naka's did in terms of caddies and textured floor. They
                      were efficient, clean and great to work with. I would think they would be
                      just as good for a kitchen sink/counter top job.

Comment

I'm closing in on finishing my own kitchen remodel, which included installing a bay window, ripping up the floors and walls and counters and rerouting all the electrical work and plumbing and adding to it. When you doing it yourself, it's mostly tedious and takes forever. I invested in a Fein Multitool and it was the best $400 I ever spent on a power tool, despite the high cost of the blades.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                          I've yet to tackle the full dreaded kitchen remodel......I can say that when
                          we did the 4 bathrooms we used Naka's Marble on Sand Island for the
                          Corian work. They did an awesome job of sinks and shower pans as well
                          as floor to ceiling Corian shower walls. They did a cool caddy and patterned
                          textured shower floor eliminating the need for one of those rubber mats.
                          My MIL tried to replicate our showers in MN but the contractor had no clue
                          how to do what Naka's did in terms of caddies and textured floor. They
                          were efficient, clean and great to work with. I would think they would be
                          just as good for a kitchen sink/counter top job.
                          I have a small bathroom remodel coming up in which we want to replace the ceramic tile walls with Corian panels. I figure it may save 99% of the installation time vs. individual tiles and grouting. Will Naka's remove the old tub and install a new one? What about body sprayers?

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                            I have a small bathroom remodel coming up in which we want to replace the ceramic tile walls with Corian panels. I figure it may save 99% of the installation time vs. individual tiles and grouting. Will Naka's remove the old tub and install a new one? What about body sprayers?
                            You know in all honesty I don't remember what they did besides all that
                            Corian. There was so much going on here and it was several years ago.
                            I would suggest calling them and asking them about what they would do
                            and maybe they'd come out and look, like i said they were very nice to
                            deal with. They are on Sand Island Road I recall going to the showroom
                            to look at things.

So I'll ask this question that will appear silly - what's a body sprayer?
                            Last edited by leashlaws; November 20, 2008, 06:36 AM. Reason: add item

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                              [...]
                              So I'll ask this question that will appear silly - what's a body sprayer?
                              Possibly one of those hand-held shower heads?

Comment

Working...
                              X