PDA

View Full Version : Little Black House Ants in DROVES!

Kaonohi
November 3rd, 2008, 11:42 PM
Here in Kahalu`u, and in Ahuimanu we seem to have a common problem.
Little black ants, about 1/8" long, that bite, climb all over, are deterred by NOTHING, are attracted to pet food, dropped scraps. etc., grease, sugar, EVERYTHING!

I have tried baiting their select foods to kill the queen, but have had no luck. The pest-controllers know less than we do! The State says (with glee!) ah yes, you have GLABER ants! Very hard to ERADICATE!
They build multiple nests, and many will be in your walls, basements, etc. You need to eliminate all the nests.

Bottom line:

They can be killed easily with Windex. ANY mild soap-based product will kill them. But you only kill the workers. Breast Cancer Society.

If you kill the workers, and not the queen, she will make NEW workers. Ad infinitum.

Orange guard is a good, non-toxic and as efficient as other recommendations.

F'ing haole ANTS!

k,7

DiverDown808
November 4th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Try making a paste with sugar, water, and boric acid. Put the paste by the lines where they march. Be sure no pets or kids are around to eat the paste. They'll take the paste back to the nests and kill the queen and the rest of the colony in a few weeks.

DD

lavagal
November 4th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Grim Reaper Pest Control: 261-7609. Talk to Cheryl. Tell her Paula sent ya.

Composite 2992
November 4th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Take note of where they pass through and draw a line with Dead Fast to kill them. Available at Longs Drugs and City Mill.

Terro also works. A few drops will attract the ants. They take the poisoned bait back to the nest and that supposedly knocks out the colony.

We got those same ants, too. And I've noticed a lot of winged ones around. They're migrating.

Leo Lakio
November 4th, 2008, 12:52 PM
IF you have any old plastic 35mm film canisters around (they are getting rarer, of course), here's a bait we've found effective and cheap ---

Home made ant bait:
1 c. water
1/3 c. sugar
1 teaspoon boric acid
One 35mm film canister.

Combine until all ingredients are dissolved. Pour some of this mixture into a black film canister with a lid into which you have poked small holes right below the closed rim of the lid. Turn upside down so the canister works like a feeder. Squeeze the canister gently so some of the liquid spills onto the rim of the canister. Place in the path of ants, as close to their entry points along the wall as you can get it. Do not use around pets or small children.

Kelly0040
November 4th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Terro works for us. However, it seems like when one trail disappears, another pops up. :mad:

We found them in our computer room nesting in a stack of cisco routers. I've never seen ant eggs before, let alone a million angry ants. They'd also nested inside of an old hard drive...geez

We've had lots and lots and lots of winged ants over the past 3 months. I can't find their current nest so it must be in the walls. :(

Amati
November 4th, 2008, 01:31 PM
They can be killed easily with Windex. ANY mild soap-based product will kill them. But you only kill the workers. Breast Cancer Society.

Huh? Breast Cancer Society?

F'ing haole ANTS!
Huh? Let's see, did you mean popolo ants, or maybe hale ants, or were just practicing using the term "f'n haole"?

Kaonohi
November 4th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Huh? Breast Cancer Society?

Huh? Let's see, did you mean popolo ants, or maybe hale ants, or were just practicing using the term "f'n haole"?

Strange. NONE of that seems familiar in any way. I have NO clue how it got there.

I remember seeing someone saying recently that their posts got deleted, and the webmasters said they didn't know why....

Hackers? Late-night keystroke errors? Unihipili? Too much Bud Lite? :confused:

No doubt it's there. I'd go back and fix it, but it seems I lost my editing priviledges for those posts.
When and if I get editing back for those, I'll straighten them out.

For sure.

Kaonohi
November 4th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Mahalo all the recommendations.
I have tried boric acid, tried Terro, tried Pic, tried Every ant bait I can find.

Dead Fast certainly will eliminate them from a small area, but they keep coming back via other portals.
Maybe multiple cooperating nests?

They are called 'Glaber ants' - they make multiple nests, sacrifice workers and eggs willingly to support the colony. If food is short, they eat their own eggs.

Their main food is to milk aphids which live in our flowers. My ginger patch and other tropicals are aswarm in them. If I brush by a plant in my yard, I am covered with at least one dozen ants.
My (former) flower farm is useless. I have not discovered how to pick without getting eaten. Parts of my yard I cannot walk through.

They have nested in and ruined my VCR tapes. Every enclosed space they use for a nest, inside and out.
I soaked my commercial flowers in soapy water overnight, assumed they were OK, then next day the display started exuding ants.

(Sigh) This, too, shall pass. (I hope!)

Thanks for your suggestions - I'll try all I can and let you know if anything works.

Here's hoping this post doesn't appear with strange insertions like my OP did!

Da Rolling Eye
November 4th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Are you maybe old enough to have senior moments? :D

We use Terro traps, but yeah, you knock out one nest and there's always another. Also, these buggers nest in old termite damage so there's always a supply of old termite droppings especially under the windows. Part of our garage floor is covered with the dark brownish red droppings from the roof. The roof itself is still solid.

Wasn't aware they bite. I've had them crawling on me numerous times with no discomfort from bites.

So far, I've not found any new termite droppings in the house, so I know I knocked out at least 3 nests.

You can blame our unusually dry weather for the increase in these ant nests. It's not only these black ants that are going rampant. My parents are having problems with "ghost" ants and we've got these rather large red ants all over our property. They don't bite, but they do get into our fruit trees and lilikoi vines and damage young fruit as well as cultivate aphids. :mad:

Kaonohi
November 4th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Are you maybe old enough to have senior moments? :D
Oh, for sure. But not li'dat! Whole 3-word phrases out of nowhere? Unless I'm entering a new phase....

I will keep battling the ants - till all 27 billion of them are gone, or until I am.

Kaonohi
November 7th, 2008, 07:10 PM
More better I liked the old days, with 8" centipedes, plenty slimey slugs, friendly cane spiders, rats and mongoose galore, in shifts (day & night), and the ubiquitous mosquitos.

In the past 5 years I have seen an increase in pincer bugs (black earwigs), and the small black ants in the last 3 years (Glaber ants, sp.); the ants are the worst. Today I noticed ants near my wife's jazz CD collection. Believe! They had nests, complete with eggs in her CD jewel boxes. Took me 3 hours I could have been gardening, surfing, whatever, to open the CDs, kill the ants and eggs, and set them out to dry.
I still have the other 90% of our CDs to check.
They already ruined our VHS tape collection. (The rats ate all our photo negatives - must be hallucinogenic!)
I need a better attitude.
My friend Byron Fears, from Hanalei Adventure tours (Boston Whaler whale view boat tours on N. kauai), always said: "just take the pictures that never fade." Meaning: be in the moment; retain what stays.

Maybe I'm jus wound too tight.

Kaonohi

Kaonohi
November 21st, 2008, 11:24 PM
Borax, sugar, 2 weeks, no change.
Added Terro (a borax compound they seem to be attracted to), no change.
They keep coming and coming and coming.
I have millions of billions of ants, eating from my ant baits, coming back, (I guess, or they're newborns) and recycling again and again and again and... arrrrggghhhhh!

Next stop, the pest control one other writer recommended... but ...
You know ... everything too expensive.
More better poor than overwhelmed., i guess.

These ants are super ants!
Beware, they come to you, they take over all the island!

Uh, maybe coqui frog eat 'em?
(Mongoose? Lizards? SNAKES! Let's import ant-eating snakes!)

Kaonohi, under stress.

Amati
November 21st, 2008, 11:33 PM

I spent an entire month trying to eliminate a nesting area with bait traps before I saw improvement. And even now there are is a weak army still marching around, but at least not the swarming mass there was before. I'm going to have to be satisfied with a reduction I think.

Barry
November 22nd, 2008, 07:06 AM
I stayed in Oahu and my ex G/F used to put outmeal down for them. They take it but can't digest it. Hence they go to Ant Heaven. It works.

Vanguard
November 22nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
If you kill the workers, and not the queen, she will make NEW workers. Ad infinitum.

Go after the worker ants enough and it does make a difference.

"We may take it then that an army without its baggage-train is lost; without provisions it is lost; without bases of supply it is lost." -- Sun Tzu

The other ideas here sound more efficient, though. :)

Leo Lakio
November 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Added Terro (a borax compound they seem to be attracted to), no change.
They keep coming and coming and coming.
I have millions of billions of ants, eating from my ant baits, coming back, (I guess, or they're newborns) and recycling again and again and again and... arrrrggghhhhh!Two weeks - not enough time. We battled them for years...but it took about six months of CONSTANT vigilance in keeping the traps filled, before we saw a dramatic drop-off in their numbers. You are probably dealing with multiple nests, so you'll be killing them off one by one.

Kaonohi
December 22nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Got some new 'bait;' from a company in China. Seems they are LOVING it! But they keep coming.

Threw away all our cassette tapes, infested. Most of our VHS tapes, too. Lucky I could clean off the CDs and DVDs. Almost every day I find a new nest, eggs and everything. They have the house surrounded. All our tropical flowers, fruit trees, etc., are infested. Can't sell flowers or even GIVE them away.

Brush by a plant in the garden and pick up a dozen ants on your clothes, and they BITE!

Down in to the back yard and see trails and trails and trails, millions of billions....

Beware. They are here now, but they are coming YOUR way soon.

Good luck.

K - den.

Leo Lakio
December 23rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Down in to the back yard and see trails and trails and trails, millions of billions....

Beware. They are here now, but they are coming YOUR way soon.
Least you didn't call 'em "haole ants..." :rolleyes:

Kaonohi
December 23rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
Least you didn't call 'em "haole ants..." :rolleyes:

Hmmmm. You think if I do, maybe they'll go back home?

islandguy
December 24th, 2008, 07:29 PM
We have ecolabs come out and spray around the baseboards... it lasts about 6 months... they use Pyrethin made from wild flowers... knocks the buggahs out!
We have also used RAID, and it works also!

Kaonohi
December 24th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Mahalo Nui Loa!

I can handle 6 months.... better than what I get....

(he, he, just squashed another one!)

Kaonohi
December 29th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I learned earlier that a mild soap solution would kill them. Windex too expensive, etc., but I got one garden sprayer, put in 2 tablespoons of laundry detergent per gallon, and sprayed my flowers (they love red gingers and other nectar-producing flowers), and they are dying. New ones come to replace them, but the numbers are reduced.

This, plus the baits, maybe... just maybe.....

I understand they are infesting all of Kahalu`u, from Temple Valley on up to ???? Not yet down to Haiku, but they will be....

Get prepared. :eek:

Kaonohi
January 26th, 2009, 12:20 AM
:) Great News!

After spending $9 a bottle on "Orange Guard" and countless bucks on other remedies which only act temporarily, I think I found a new, effective spray: Peppermint Oil Soap!

Yep, the same old "Doctor Bronner's Supermild Pure Peppermint Oil Soap" with all the quasi religious sayings all over the label, still available in health-food stores, relatively inexpensive, not only KILLS the little buggers on contact, it keeps them from coming back!

For how long, I don't know yet. So far it's two weeks. Expen$ive Orange Guard only lasted 1 week.

People up here are having their houses fumigated every 2 months, it's so bad. Flower vendors go out and have to soak their flowers in a mild soap solution for several hours and then rinse thoroughly to market them. Their margin is small enough already.

Good luck! They will be coming to a wall near you, SOON!

cyleet99
January 26th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Keep fighting the good fight! Looks like you are finally making some headway. Sorry 'bout the media...:(

Kelly0040
January 26th, 2009, 10:32 AM

After spending $9 a bottle on "Orange Guard" and countless bucks on other remedies which only act temporarily, I think I found a new, effective spray: Peppermint Oil Soap!

Yep, the same old "Doctor Bronner's Supermild Pure Peppermint Oil Soap" with all the quasi religious sayings all over the label, still available in health-food stores, relatively inexpensive, not only KILLS the little buggers on contact, it keeps them from coming back!

For how long, I don't know yet. So far it's two weeks. Expen$ive Orange Guard only lasted 1 week.

People up here are having their houses fumigated every 2 months, it's so bad. Flower vendors go out and have to soak their flowers in a mild soap solution for several hours and then rinse thoroughly to market them. Their margin is small enough already.

Good luck! They will be coming to a wall near you, SOON!

ooo it's sold at star market too. thanks for the tip - gonna try this on the trails in the front yard

Kaonohi
March 21st, 2009, 06:40 PM
Still having good luck with peppermint oil soap. At least it is better than anything else I have tried (my S.O. is against pyrethien 'poisons') so far. Kills better than Orange Guard and keeps them away until the solution is rinsed off!!! And, it's only soap.

Now, to find a way to demolish the home nests! Both of the liquid ant baits attract them, but don't destroy the queen.....

Darwin, where are you now that we need you?

snowbird
March 21st, 2009, 07:52 PM

I think I found a new, effective spray: Peppermint Oil Soap!

Do you think this will work on aphids? I have a big infestation on my cabbages. I have tried different detergents, with no luck. I wonder if the Dr. Bronner's is non-toxic... I was planning on eating those cabbages. Thanks for your time.

Kaonohi
March 22nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
Do you think this will work on aphids? I have a big infestation on my cabbages. I have tried different detergents, with no luck. I wonder if the Dr. Bronner's is non-toxic... I was planning on eating those cabbages. Thanks for your time.

It's labeled as "Castile Soap" with Peppermint Oil, containing: Water, Saponified Organic Coconut and Organic Olive Oils (w/ retained glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Jojoba Oil, Peppermint Oil, Mentha Avensis Extract, Citric Acid, and Vitamin E.

It IS an eye irritant, but seems non-toxic otherwise. Be sure to rinse your veggies before cooking....
I'd recommend trying it on ONE cabbage first, as some soaps, upon sun exposure, may burn leaves. Let us know!!!

Barry
March 22nd, 2009, 06:25 PM
Put oatmeal down for the ants. They take it home, eat it but can't digest it and so they go to 'ant heaven.'

For aphids, blackfly etc. Boil rhubarb leaves and ciggie stumps (the ones with filters) After an hour strain the mixture and put it into a spray can.
Make sure that you wear plastic gloves and have no cuts on your hands. This stuff can be dangerous. Wash any lettuce, cabbage etc. really well to get the nicotine, rhubarb mixtue off.

GeckoGeek
March 22nd, 2009, 07:25 PM
Darwin, where are you now that we need you?

Careful what you wish for - Darwin is likely to create ants that thrive on the bait.

Now, to find a way to demolish the home nests! Both of the liquid ant baits attract them, but don't destroy the queen.....

I suspect there's two principles at work here:

To kill the colony, the bait must dominate their food source.
When one colony dies, neighboring ones will expand to fill the void.

The corollary: as the bait wipes out the near nests, the far ones are far enough away that the bait doesn't dominate the food source. You end up in a stalemate. The ants keep coming. They die, but not in large enough numbers. So they keep coming.

So to win a heavy infestation, you must do saturation bombing of baits and deny them access to other food sources. Take the battle to the enemy.

Barry
March 22nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
When I was in Honolulu, my small apt was overun by ants. I got a plastic container of paraffin and I think it was from your Wallmart but I can't be sure.
Each morning I squirted the paraffin around the outsides of the apt and also on the laneii. I tracked down one nest of ants and 'nuked' them with paraffin.
The rest must have gone for the cornmeal 'cause I was free from them for the time I was there.

Walkoff Balk
March 22nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Has anyone eaten chocolate covered ants? Don't say that it tastes like chicken.

Glen Miyashiro
March 22nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
When I was in Honolulu, my small apt was overun by ants. I got a plastic container of paraffin and I think it was from your Wallmart but I can't be sure.
Each morning I squirted the paraffin around the outsides of the apt and also on the laneii. I tracked down one nest of ants and 'nuked' them with paraffin.
The rest must have gone for the cornmeal 'cause I was free from them for the time I was there.Barry, let me make sure we Americans understand you. When you say "paraffin", I think you mean what we call "kerosene". Am I right? Because to me, "paraffin" usually means candle wax, and I don't think candle wax does anything for ants.

Kaonohi
March 26th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Careful what you wish for - Darwin is likely to create ants that thrive on the bait.
Oops, where's that 'sheepish grin' smilie?

I suspect there's two principles at work here:

To kill the colony, the bait must dominate their food source.
When one colony dies, neighboring ones will expand to fill the void.

The corollary: as the bait wipes out the near nests, the far ones are far enough away that the bait doesn't dominate the food source. You end up in a stalemate. The ants keep coming. They die, but not in large enough numbers. So they keep coming.
Gecko, I think you got it nailed. The web and the entomologists at Halawa said similar things, but you brought it home for me. Mahalo nui loa.

So to win a heavy infestation, you must do saturation bombing of baits and deny them access to other food sources. Take the battle to the enemy.
That's hard. They invade my acre of ginger & other flowers and keep looking for more inside the house. I can't denude my acre of tropical flowers and fruit - unless there's no alternative.
I'm have great success with a 50% solution of peppermint oil soap and 'Dead-Fast' along the trails, but I guess there's always more reserves waiting to move in. Guess I'm stuck with it until nature sends in a new predator.... (of them! not me!)

GeckoGeek
March 26th, 2009, 12:26 AM
but I guess there's always more reserves waiting to move in.

Not sure what to do about outside except lots of baits to knock them down to reasonable levels. You might be able to set up a parameter around the house so there aren't so many right there.

As for inside, they won't move in unless they find a good home - including food. What are the eating inside?

Kaonohi
March 26th, 2009, 07:40 PM
As for inside, they won't move in unless they find a good home - including food. What are the eating inside?
Any enclosed space is home for Glaber ants. Boxes (empty or full), potted plants, window frames, interior walls, sofa beds, etc. They seem to eat everything. The cat barfed and they swarmed over that; I tracked them back to a box of closet dehumidifier.
According to the literature, they lay an excess of eggs, and when they run out of other food they eat their eggs. Outside they swarm over trees and flowering plants to get 'nectar.' They divide their colonies often. They must have come from a very competitive environment -- now they are in Paradise! Their paradise now....

They are headed your way. :eek:

Barry
March 26th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Barry, let me make sure we Americans understand you. When you say "paraffin", I think you mean what we call "kerosene". Am I right? Because to me, "paraffin" usually means candle wax, and I don't think candle wax does anything for ants.

Yes you are correct. We have different names for stuff in England. What we call "paraffin" you call "kerosene.' Another friend of mine in the Us of A tells me that they call it "Coal oil." Now I'm getting really lost :)

Kaonohi
April 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Yes you are correct. We have different names for stuff in England. What we call "paraffin" you call "kerosene.' Another friend of mine in the Us of A tells me that they call it "Coal oil." Now I'm getting really lost :)

WHAT? I thought we all spoke English!
Are we doing sub-dialects here?
"Proper English"
'American English'
'Pidgen English' (of various sub-dialects)
'Dixie Drawl English'
'Californication English'
'Cockney English'
'Muslim English'

etc., etc., etc.

Oh, yeah. I knew that..... :rolleyes:

For instance: Other than in New England and G.B. (AFAIK), "Ants" (as pronounced, spelled aunts) can also refer to the female siblings of one's parents.

Sharilyn
September 11th, 2009, 05:57 AM
I'm have great success with a 50% solution of peppermint oil soap and 'Dead-Fast' along the trails, but I guess there's always more reserves waiting to move in. Guess I'm stuck with it until nature sends in a new predator.... (of them! not me!)
Kaonohi, is your peppermint oil soap solution still keeping things somewhat under control? How do you apply it? Do you use a sprayer, or can you just sprinkle/pour it wherever needed? Do you give your property a good dousing, or spot apply? Thanks! Oh, and how often do you treat?

surlygirly
September 11th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Does peppermint oil work for spiders? Cuz I've got spiders-a-plenty in my house! Little ones, with their little egg sacs in places I'd never imagine. I just want them critters gone! I realize you guys don't have this problem over there (at least I never did), but maybe Barry? Or someone? So far sucking them up in the vacuum cleaner seems to be working pretty well, but they keep coming back! :(

Barry
September 11th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Cornflour works. They can't digest it and go to ant heaven.

snowbird
September 12th, 2009, 08:07 PM
You know, I am just going to give up and let them win. They can have the house, the car, the TV. I'm moving. Are there ants in the Arctic? Whoops, just Googled that, and yes.... drats! Arctic ants, if you can believe that?

So far, I have tried every suggestion here and more. Bought one of everything at Home Depot. Tried witchcraft and prayer. Cinnamon, windex, dish soap, boric acid combinations. Terro, Raid, Bayer, you name it. And now I am just flat-out of money and credit.

Youngest used Aqua Net hair spray to kill them, and now they are laminated to the bathroom walls.

OK, I get it that they are looking for water or food... plenty of that outside. I don't have cockroaches, fleas, mosquitoes, or crickets. Just ants. Little mean, butt-biting ants. My poor okole.

Done whining now.

Sharilyn
September 16th, 2009, 05:07 PM
bumping for Kaonohi... see post #40 ^^

Kaonohi
September 17th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Kaonohi, is your peppermint oil soap solution still keeping things somewhat under control? How do you apply it? Do you use a sprayer, or can you just sprinkle/pour it wherever needed? Do you give your property a good dousing, or spot apply? Thanks! Oh, and how often do you treat?

Sorry, S, thanks for the bump.
Been vacationing and trying to fix my main computer; I missed a bit.

It has not rid me of ants, but it has reduced them. It seems to have a residual effect inside the house.

I use a small spray bottle, and just apply 'as needed,' i.e., when I see them.

Outside it hasn't worked that well. My tropical flowers are major infested still. There are fewer on my back lanai, but they are still there, in the potted plants and in the wood. We have the inside 'tolerable,' finally, and are still seeking an outside solution that won't harm pets or wildlife or whither the plants.
:(

Kaonohi
September 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Does peppermint oil work for spiders? Cuz I've got spiders-a-plenty in my house! Little ones, with their little egg sacs in places I'd never imagine. I just want them critters gone! I realize you guys don't have this problem over there (at least I never did), but maybe Barry? Or someone? So far sucking them up in the vacuum cleaner seems to be working pretty well, but they keep coming back! :(

Spiders eat other insects.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."
(Origin unknown)

Sharilyn
September 17th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks, Kaonohi! I will give it a try and see.

snowbird
September 17th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Spiders eat other insects.
Yes, but not fast enough. :>)

People visiting my house for the first time sometimes wonder out loud about my spider webs and cleaning habits. I tell them, 'these are mosquito nets and fly traps.' Too bad those bratty little ants don't hang out in the upper corners.

We don't kill spiders at our house. Not too many black and brown widows this season, I'm happy to report.

Sharilyn
September 17th, 2009, 04:35 PM
The one positive thing I've heard about ants is that the protein ones keep your house termite free. Don't know for sure, but makes sense.