Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Experienced, Mitch Mitchell dies at 61

www.pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=11816

The original Jimi Hendrix Experience intact once again.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Very Experienced, Mitch Mitchell dies at 61

RIP thanks for all the great music. I was knocked over by Jimi himself
    while I was in the SF airport in 1967 and he and his bandmates were arriving
    for a concert. Jimi was so kind and cordial and immediately turned back to pick me up dust me off and give me words of apology. I'll never forget that day or the little pink lace eyelet dress of said incident! I think I'll blast
    some riffs now!

Comment

Damn dude!

To be knocked on your butt by Jimi?! I'd never wash my ass again!

Comment

Jimi is a god, but Mitchell was an unmistakable, distinct part of the Experience's sound. There have been few rock and roll drummers who regularly did what he did. He managed to keep time, like any good rock and roll drummer, but he filled in all the spaces left by Jimi in a way that made the songs almost completely his. That anyone could do that while playing with Jimi is astounding. There are times when I listen to a Jimi song and forget to listen to Jimi—I am so enthralled by Mitchell's drumming.

I will put "Fire" on repeat this evening in his memory. Such killer drumming.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          www.pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=11816

The original Jimi Hendrix Experience intact once again.
          That's a very thoughtful & touching statement.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I had not heard this ~ been on the go all day.

RIP Mitch

If any one heads to Seattle ~ check out the Experience Music Project. It is the funky shaped building close to the Space Needle.

Comment

I don't know you Scrivener but I've missed your posts and am glad to see you again!
              Much aloha - LL

Comment

For the record, I never went away. I check HT several times every day and always have. I just haven't felt the need to contribute to much lately.

But bring up a good rock and roll topic and you know I can't shut up.

On last night's The Late Show with David Letterman, Paul Shaffer's band played only Jimi Hendrix songs, in memory of Mitch Mitchell. Shaffer said the band was singling out songs that Mitchell had especially put his mark on. It was very cool.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Mitchell was an absolutely appropriate musical foil for Hendrix, with a very distinct drumming style. I find it hard to imagine dropping anybody else behind the Experience drum kit and coming up with equal results, ie the best of the best.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    For the record, I never went away. I check HT several times every day and always have. I just haven't felt the need to contribute to much lately.

But bring up a good rock and roll topic and you know I can't shut up.

On last night's The Late Show with David Letterman, Paul Shaffer's band played only Jimi Hendrix songs, in memory of Mitch Mitchell. Shaffer said the band was singling out songs that Mitchell had especially put his mark on. It was very cool.

Don't watch Letterman as a rule ~ unless I know of a specific guest to be on ~ but I would have loved to hear all the music.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond3121 View Post
                      If any one heads to Seattle ~ check out the Experience Music Project. It is the funky shaped building close to the Space Needle.
                      ...and let me know if you do; we live a mile away from the building, and can view it from our deck.

The whole concept for the museum grew out of all the Hendrix stuff that Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen had collected. There's actually some gear on display that I had put my hands to, back when it was in use in studios around here.

I'm amazed that Mitchell was still playing to the end, having just been out on the Experience Hendrix Tour - we should all be so lucky to finish our days in such a fashion. He had just played in Seattle earlier this month.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        ...and let me know if you do; we live a mile away from the building, and can view it from our deck.

The whole concept for the museum grew out of all the Hendrix stuff that Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen had collected. There's actually some gear on display that I had put my hands to, back when it was in use in studios around here.

I'm amazed that Mitchell was still playing to the end, having just been out on the Experience Hendrix Tour - we should all be so lucky to finish our days in such a fashion. He had just played in Seattle earlier this month.
                        I'll be out there Spring '09. It's been a couple of years since I have been there. I need to go online and find the special exhibit listing for the time frame I might be there.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond3121 View Post
                          I'll be out there Spring '09. It's been a couple of years since I have been there. I need to go online and find the special exhibit listing for the time frame I might be there.
                          This show is running through next July.

Comment

Agreed!

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                            Mitchell was an absolutely appropriate musical foil for Hendrix, with a very distinct drumming style. I find it hard to imagine dropping anybody else behind the Experience drum kit and coming up with equal results, ie the best of the best.
                            As the story goes, it was between Mitch and another drummer, Ansley Dunbar, as to whom would be chosen for the drum slot, and the decision was made on a coin flip.
                            Ansley went on to make his name and fortune with many famous bands, but Mitch made his immortal fame with one band, the best band there ever was.

Comment

Re: Agreed!

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                              As the story goes, it was between Mitch and another drummer, Ansley Dunbar, ...
                              Ansley went on to make his name ...
                              Though his name was made "Aynsley."

Comment

Working...
                              X