Fine wine glasses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fine wine glasses?

Where can I buy fine wine glasses on Oahu? I am looking for fine wine glasses.....not the kine you buy at Ross, Macy's or Pier1.

One of the brands I'm interested in is Riedel but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Anyone know where I should go?

Thanks!

Re: Fine wine glasses?

How 'bout Needless Markup?! Seriously.

Comment

Neiman Marcus and Macy's carry Riedel glasses for sure. Think Williams-Sonoma does also. Possibly Compleat Kitchen. All of them are at Ala Moana Center.

I usually buy that kinda thing online, though--better prices!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        How 'bout Needless Markup?! Seriously.
        Not sure what you're getting at but having a good glass is just as important as a good wine. You can't enjoy a fine wine unless it's served in a fine glass. Someone gave me a nice bottle of wine recently and it really irritated me that while drinking the wine I kept looking at the imperfections that my glass had.

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
        Neiman Marcus and Macy's carry Riedel glasses for sure. Think Williams-Sonoma does also. Possibly Compleat Kitchen. All of them are at Ala Moana Center.

I usually buy that kinda thing online, though--better prices!
        I checked online and they either don't ship to Hawaii or the cost of shipping is unreasonable. Also, I've worked in retail and have seen how often glass gets damaged when shipped to Hawaii.

I checked Macy's and they have really done away with all their fine glasses and only sell Martha Stewart brand and some other one now.

Ah, I think I've seen Riedel as Williams-Sonoma as well. I better pay a visit to Ala Moana. Thanks for your suggestions. NM is probably out of my range.

Comment

*looks up at tutusue*

did i just walk into an episode of *Dynasty*?.....with this episode......end of post.......period!!!!!

*laughs uncontrollably*

hope you find your fine wine glass amagab

mahalo and malama pono

*walks out laughing*
          stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
            Someone gave me a nice bottle of wine recently and it really irritated me that while drinking the wine I kept looking at the imperfections that my glass had.
            It is rather sad that you cannot enjoy something for what it is, but that instead the package has to be perfect. I hope your attitude changes about such things before nature shows its handywork on your body... and that of your spouse.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

*laughs*

Amati! please i am in tears - you know just when to put a smile on my face when needed!!
              stay forever young

Comment

sorry Amagab, but this is rather silly. A fine wine will taste just as good served in a regular tumbler out of my cupboard as it will in the "perfect" Reidel glass. and yes, I will admit to buying those glasses back in my younger days. But, I only have one left now and find that it is just not important to enjoying a good wine. You could drink it straight from the bottle and if its a really good wine - it would still taste good.

I wish you good luck in finding your perfect (expensive) glasses. Enjoy!
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

In the art of Japanese tea ceremony, the artistic merits of the cup is part of the entire process.

For some, the wine glass can make a difference. In fact there's a special glass that supposedly improves the wine's flavor. Since aroma is a primary part of tasting, the shape of the glass can have an effect upon the whole experience. That's why brandy snifters have the shape they do.

Long stems are intended to isolate a cold white wine from a drinker's warm hand.

Someone gave me a set of these: http://www.brentwoodwine.com/riedel_O.html

My main reason for preferring the stemless design is that they're less likely to fall over. But the ultra-thin glass sometimes gives me the creeps when I wash it.

Check out Wine Stop in McCully, across from Times Supermarket.

They have some very knowledgeable people there and can steer you in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    sorry Amagab, but this is rather silly. A fine wine will taste just as good served in a regular tumbler out of my cupboard as it will in the "perfect" Reidel glass. and yes, I will admit to buying those glasses back in my younger days. But, I only have one left now and find that it is just not important to enjoying a good wine. You could drink it straight from the bottle and if its a really good wine - it would still taste good.

I wish you good luck in finding your perfect (expensive) glasses. Enjoy!
                    I drink table wines out of regular tumblers. But to judge a fine wine I rather have something that does not take my attention away from the wine. If there are glass imperfections, some type of fancy design or print...then I look at the glass instead of the wine.

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                    In the art of Japanese tea ceremony, the artistic merits of the cup is part of the entire process.

For some, the wine glass can make a difference. In fact there's a special glass that supposedly improves the wine's flavor. Since aroma is a primary part of tasting, the shape of the glass can have an effect upon the whole experience. That's why brandy snifters have the shape they do.

Long stems are intended to isolate a cold white wine from a drinker's warm hand.

Someone gave me a set of these: http://www.brentwoodwine.com/riedel_O.html

My main reason for preferring the stemless design is that they're less likely to fall over. But the ultra-thin glass sometimes gives me the creeps when I wash it.

Check out Wine Stop in McCully, across from Times Supermarket.

They have some very knowledgeable people there and can steer you in the right direction.
                    Thanks for your reply. I used to have Riedel O when we lived on the mainland. Stemless ones are good for cold places because it lets your hands "warm up" a wine that otherwise might have been served too cold.

Comment

Macy's still has the Waterford Marquis series which come in several sizes
                      appropriate to what is being poured. I've had some for years as well as
                      Reidel and they have been great.

Drinking a really great wine "straight from the bottle" is absurd. There
                      is no way the love and crafting of the wine by the winemaker will come
                      through without proper aeration and opening. Nor would the delicate and
                      often the case boldness of the notes come through while chugging away.
                      The clarity and color and depth would be lost as well which is also
                      incremental in the process of nice wine.

I second the Wine Stop as well, Kim and Lianne possess extensive knowledge
                      and love to share their passion for the vine.

Comment

Thanks! I better check out Wine Stop. I keep driving by that place but never actually stepped inside.

Comment

Thanks! I better check out Wine Stop. I keep driving by that place but never actually stepped inside.
                          Every Saturday they feature a selection with complimentary tasting and
                          education of those presented. You will learn a lot from them and the
                          store is easily navigated. It goes by country with flags of each producing
                          country above the area. They also have a great selection of boutique
                          beers, foods, cheeses and giftware. A newsletter they put out via email
                          is always full of information and trivia. It is important to support small
                          business such as theirs, I know you won't be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                            It is important to support small
                            business such as theirs
                            That's for sure!!

Comment

Not sure what you're getting at[...]NM is probably out of my range.
                              Hence, it's more appropriate name...Needless Markup! That's what I was getting at!

Comment

Working...
                              X