Anyone have a Toto toilet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a Toto toilet?

I'm thinking of getting a Toto. Specifically the CST734F Model with elongated seat and a 1.6 gal flush. I've heard some not-so-good reviews about Toto's in general.

My main concerns are whether they flush well and are relatively quiet. Doesn't make much sense to get a low flush toilet when there's backwash. Then you'll have to wait a minute and flush again, which wastes water. The 35 year old American Standard I have now has a tendency to just spin around a lot and not do it's job well.

I also don't want to wake up the entire family when I gotta go in the middle of the night. I live in a condo, so water conservation is not vital, because the cost of water is factored in the maintenance fee, but is desirable nonetheless.

I'd appreciate some feedback. If not on Toto's then on what brands you'd recommend. The Toto is $272, which is around what my budget is. Thanx.

Re: Anyone have a Toto toilet?

We have two in our house model #CST764S(SG)/CST774S.
    The sound is minimal and the water flow is more than adequate
    for disposal of bowl contents. These are the 1.6 GPF as you
    are asking about. I don't know the name (they all have names) but we've had them about 5 or so years and no problems. I do wish this model had the Sani-Gloss interior finish but for some reason it doesn't. I can't remember why we got this model
    without that feature, there was some reason but who remembers all that when so much goes on in remodel.
    Hope this small bit of information helps.

Comment

no, but when I was little, I had pow-pow-power wheels!
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
        The 35 year old American Standard I have now has a tendency to just spin around a lot and not do it's job well.
        Doesn't sound like a toilet problem. More of a slow drain or maybe pressure in the line. Toilets work on syphon. So long as water goes in the bowl and the level is higher than the drain or water level in the trap, the water will flush. How fast depends if the sewer line is clogged or there's somekind of back pressure in that line possibly caused by a plugged vent.

In our house, if I flush the down line toilet the same time as the up line toilet, it won't flush. Just scares the crap out of me cause it just goes round and gets higher and higher. Once the up line toilet is done, the down line toilet will flush just fine.

Then again, maybe it is the toilet. I'd still call the building maintenance and have them check the sewer line for obstruction or maybe a plugged vent. I used to live in a condo and through the years the toilet, tub and bathroom exhaust ventilation system got progressively slower and slower. In the end, the toilet still flushed slowly, but I lost all exhaust venting. I don't know if it was ever resolved as I ended up selling the place.

Comment

The 35 year old American Standard I have now has a tendency to just spin around a lot and not do it's job well.
          Am I the only one who had a completely different picture in their brain than Bobinator intended? My first thought was "Well, you're supposed to bolt them to the floor..."

I'd appreciate some feedback. If not on Toto's then on what brands you'd recommend. The Toto is $272, which is around what my budget is. Thanx.
          Yikes-- a lot of money for a toilet that gets unfavorable reviews.

I've been quite happy with Kohler's 1.6-gallon flush models, and they're quiet. Their basic model is listed at $210 but might be on sale this weekend...
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

We're in L.A., so I dunno if the water pressure is different out here, but water conservations is huge here. We replaced our old Kohlers with Totos 2 years ago, and let me tell you, the investment was more than worthwhile.

I don't find them to be the quietest toilet, but also nowhere near the loudest. In all the time we have had them, MAYBE I've had to flush twice 2 or 3 times. Usually once is quite adequate! I really, really like them. They are easy to clean and I like the elongated bowl. Ours are also ADA compliant, which wasn't a requirement for us, but they are a little taller than a standard toilet.

I found the extra $$$ for something with this much quality was well worth it. Just my humble opinion, though!!

Comment

As others have pointed out, that's likely a drain problem or a partial clog somewhere close to the bowl.

The first thing to do is ask the neighbor who has the toilet on the other side of the wall from you if they have the same problem. If so, then complain to the association. It's their problem and they have to pay for it.

If they're fine, then you may need to check for a clog in the toilet's trap or a clogged main jet. You may have to pull the toilet, but that's cheaper then replacing it.

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiMama View Post
                We're in L.A., so I dunno if the water pressure is different out here, but water conservations is huge here. We replaced our old Kohlers with Totos 2 years ago, and let me tell you, the investment was more than worthwhile.

I don't find them to be the quietest toilet, but also nowhere near the loudest. In all the time we have had them, MAYBE I've had to flush twice 2 or 3 times. Usually once is quite adequate! I really, really like them. They are easy to clean and I like the elongated bowl. Ours are also ADA compliant, which wasn't a requirement for us, but they are a little taller than a standard toilet.

I found the extra $$$ for something with this much quality was well worth it. Just my humble opinion, though!!
                I concur that the ADA height certainly is a good thing. I am always amazed at how many places (restaurants, stores etc.) have such low toilets. i like the height of ours. They all have funny names too, I think one of ours is called "Plymouth" and maybe the other "Carlyle" but I don't remember.

Comment

Toto's Washlet line of toilets has an interesting website. It's sort of NSFW.

http://www.washlet.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                    Yikes-- a lot of money for a toilet that gets unfavorable reviews.

I've been quite happy with Kohler's 1.6-gallon flush models, and they're quiet. Their basic model is listed at $210 but might be on sale this weekend...
                    I've tried searching for reviews, but all I've got were positive ones. I still had that glimmer of doubt, though. The one positive thing that was shown about the Toto CST734F was that it has gravity jet propulsion- meaning it shoots a stream of water directly towards the drainage flow to "help things along". But still, without actually doing a test run, I can't vouch for its performance.

Are your Kohler's quiet? I was at Home Depot today and saw Kohler's on display. Seemed like there would be a need for a good strong flow to get the... "water" up and over the hump, so-to-speak, so I thought the flow wouldn't be all that great. But that's just a visual impression. I beleive the prices were much lower than $210, though, so I thought to myself, "you get what you pay for."

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                      Doesn't sound like a toilet problem. More of a slow drain or maybe pressure in the line. Toilets work on syphon. So long as water goes in the bowl and the level is higher than the drain or water level in the trap, the water will flush. How fast depends if the sewer line is clogged or there's somekind of back pressure in that line possibly caused by a plugged vent.
                      The flow isn't always consistent, and I think a lot depends on how heavy the contents in the bowl are [gross] and how the "stuff" initially reacts when the water is introduced. I know we're getting a bit graphic here, but hey, we're doing toilet talk!

The water starts off spinning, and doesn't have a large opening for the tank release, so I'm thinking it has more to do with the toilet design. I already lifted one toilet, and there doesnt' seem to be an obstruction in the pipe, although it's still a possibility. The toilet on the other side of the wall is my own, and both behave pretty much the same. Of course, they're both the same type of toilet.

Comment

The one positive thing that was shown about the Toto CST734F was that it has gravity jet propulsion- meaning it shoots a stream of water directly towards the drainage flow to "help things along".
                        Um, that's how they all work. Some have the jet in the front of the bowl where it's visible and will directly push anything on the bottom out the drain. Other's have the jet mounted in the trap where it creates a suction that pulls things out of the bowl. If that jet is clogged for any reason, that's going to cause things to spin and not go anywhere.

Seemed like there would be a need for a good strong flow to get the... "water" up and over the hump, so-to-speak, so I thought the flow wouldn't be all that great.
                        Not sure what you were seeing, but again, that ramp sounds like something they all have. That's what keeps water in the bowl between flushes. If you develop layers of toilet paper in there, that's going to create a problem too.

I already lifted one toilet, and there doesn't' seem to be an obstruction in the pipe
                        You probably won't see one. You'll need a hose (you can use the water inlet that you took off the toilet) to really run some water through there. Or maybe even a short snake.

The toilet on the other side of the wall is my own
                        Well, drat. Talk to the association anyway. They may know something. Depending on how the rules are written, they may still be responsible for the drain pipe.

Another thing you can do is toss a bucket of water into the bowel and see if it flushes. If it doesn't, you've got a problem in the trap or the drain. If it does, then it's likely a clog between the tank and the main jet. The water you see running down the sides of the bowl is just to clean the sides.

Comment

ok, I had one in the Condo at Discovery bay....I list it among MANY of the things I miss from my time living on Oahu. I will not get into the details, we all know what toilets do, but I thought of our toto as the Benz of bowls. I loved it.

that is all.
                          flickr

An email from God:
                          To: People of Earth
                          Date: 9/04/2007
                          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                          God

Comment

Oh, if you're going to go to the trouble of buying a new toilet, get a bidet seat. A little strange at first, but a nice bit of luxury.

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                              ok, I had one in the Condo at Discovery bay....[...]
                              Really? That's great news. I wasn't aware that Toto had a rear outlet toilet. During my remodel I wanted to replace the existing toilet with a Toto. The Toto retail store told me there is no rear outlet model. Hmmm...back to the drawing board!

Comment

Working...
                              X