Framing shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framing shops

I used to mat and frame a fair number of pictures at the Frame Shack, where they cut the bits and you provided the labor. I guess Frame Shack and DIY shops like it vanished because of liability issues. (Inevitably, you got tiny cuts on your fingers.)

Anyway, is there still a place or two in Honolulu where I can get metal frames cut at a reasonable price, and maybe some dry mounting as well. I recently priced a small picture at Ben Franklin and they wanted $300, which is about triple what it ought to be... and that didn't include mat or glass!
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Re: Framing shops

Wow! I'm shocked! I've always had good luck at BF in Kailua. Sometimes
    I've also bought those pre-made Koa frames and the helpful guy in the framing dept. does the matting and installation for you. Initially when I saw your title I wasn't sure where to suggest - I've used them all from Robyn Buntin to DIY
    from Ben Franklin (when I just bought a frame OTR.) I wish I could help you more as it is such fun to have something framed and then put it on the
    wall to enjoy! I've also used Pictures Plus on Ward and things came out pretty nice there too but it's too far from home at this point to drive in just for that.
    Good luck, I hope some others can help you!

Comment

Yeah, prices are reasonable if you have a standard-sized image where you can pick up a mass-produced frame. But for odd sizes (the one I'm doing is 15X40, which isn't gigantic!) you need to get the stock pieces cut, and a frame shop has the right tools for precise cuts. I like those extruded aluminum frames that lock the edges with corner pieces.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I don't know if Robyn Buntin or Pictures Plus will cut frames for you but they're the only frame shops I can think of right now. I recently used Robyn Buntin for a couple of pictures and was pleased with the results. The only other place I can think of is Pictures Plus but I was not comfortable with their sales technique. It seemed to me that they really tried to add on all kinds of things (new frames, new matting and uv resistent glass) to the simple glass replacement I wanted (the glass on a couple of pictures broke) and when I said I just wanted the glass replaced the sales person actually told me "well, if the pictures are meaningless to you, if they have no value to you, that's ok."

Comment

You might try Frame-Arts Hawaii on South St. Ask for Kevin...525-5212. He's done a few custom metal frames for me; mostly 8x10. Can't remember what I paid but I remember it being reasonable. The glass situation at Pictures Plus that Adri mentioned is true. I don't like it either.

Comment

long time ago, i used to work at Hawaiian Graphics and we sold Frame kits which were a pair of sides to make a frame. They were available in 1" increments (I think) so you would just buy 1 15" and 1 40" and then put it together ... glass and mats would be separate... don't know if they still sell that as i haven't worked there in almost 15 years. Come to think of it, they did do custom framing too ...
            I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
              The only other place I can think of is Pictures Plus but I was not comfortable with their sales technique. It seemed to me that they really tried to add on all kinds of things (new frames, new matting and uv resistent glass) to the simple glass replacement I wanted (the glass on a couple of pictures broke) and when I said I just wanted the glass replaced the sales person actually told me "well, if the pictures are meaningless to you, if they have no value to you, that's ok."
              Sounds like a typical business idea "hey, let's give the salesperson a incentive for what they sell". The result is a employee that's just doing what's good for their paycheck and running the company into the ground.

There's incentives that work and then there's incentives that end up ruining the company.

Comment

I second Hawaiian Graphics. I mat and frame the posters I collect and often they are very oddly sized. Of course, you have to keep your measurements to even inches and frame types are sometimes limited, but it's relatively cheap. I also get the mats there too. I get my glass at Ben Franklin.

Comment

Working...
                X