A Charlie Brown Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Charlie Brown Christmas

This is more a review than an announcement but I am going to plug this play because it deserves it!

I saw A Charlie Brown Christmas tonight put on by New Hope Christian Fellowship Oahu Youth Choir. NHCF produces exactly one play a year during the holidays; always a musical. It's, by far, THE best theater in the state and alway suitable for the keiki. This year is no exception.

The youth choir/dancers/actors bring the original, animated show and cartoon strip to life...including Snoopy...as Charlie Brown searches for the true meaning of Christmas. My review consists of 2 words: Utterly Charming! Director Dane Ilson works his magic year after year without fail. As in past years, Dane utilizes the entire auditorium. I don't want to give any more away!

It's budget friendly at $10-$12 a ticket. There are 6 performances left after tonight; last performance is Sunday, Dec. 14. More info HERE. Be sure to check out the 2 video blogs on that web page.

Disclaimer: I'm not a member of New Hope nor am I involved in the play in any way. New Hope's annual production is at the top of my To Do list every December! The kids are amazing.

I rest my case!

Re: A Charlie Brown Christmas

Good on you, Sue! Being the product of a Catholic elementary school, I performed and sang in annual Christmas pageants every year. One year, "Joseph", who was kneeling next to the Christ child, fainted and keeled over right in the middle of "Silent Night!" But the show went on. ("Joseph" was none the worse for wear after being dragged off the stage by one of the "Wise Men".)

Performing in these plays gives the children a great sense of accomplishment, self esteem, and pride. I hope that others will support the New Hope Youth Choir like you do.

Mele Kalisimasi, TuTu.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

(Too funny..."Linus and Lucy" from A Charlie Brown Christmas is currently playing on the digital cable holiday music channel!)

Thanks, Matapule. There are at least 3 teens, possibly more, who should be headed to Broadway in the not too distant future. They're that good. The entire choir is wonderful...chicken skin kinda wonderful! Forgot to mention that I walked out of the theater with snow in my hair! Such a clever production.

Comment

A Charlie Brown Christmas was the only one of the Peanuts specials I could enjoy as a kid. Spoiler Alert! It was the only one where Charlie Brown won by picking a junk Christmas tree and doing a makeover to make it a special one.

Comment

Bought my tickets. What's the parking situation?
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

High 5, salmoned! There's free parking on the Farrington HS campus. You'll find a campus map HERE. Scroll down to the 'map of Farrington High School campus' link. I usually enter from N. King St. (Governor's Gate/Vance Dr.). If there's no parking available in the first lot you enter (open faculty parking), then follow the driveway mauka (Vance Dr.). Parking attendants will point you in the right direction. Depending on where you park you can exit thru the Governor's Gate or thru the Aloha Gate on Kalihi St.

The play is held in the auditorium.

ETA...The choir has a fundraiser going in the form of snacks during the break. In addition, each time I've attended, the cast exits the auditorium via the aisles, not the proverbial backstage door. Still on a performance high, they usually end up singing, hooting and hollering outside. Love that!
            Last edited by tutusue; December 7, 2008, 11:57 AM.

Comment

I am going to see A Charlie Brown Christmas this year put on by New Hope Christian Fellowship on Sunday. I am also a member of New Hope and I have to say that Dane Ison does a fantastic job every year and this year is no exceptions.
              Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

I suppose I should comment after seeing this production. It was all as previously mentioned except, I wouldn't rate this as 'the best' theater production in the state or even 'the best' youth theater production in the state. I would have enjoyed more singing and better paced vignettes. I've seen a couple productions of this play on the mainland. My seating didn't help - view of center stage was completely blocked by the signers (no one mentioned that right stage front was for the hearing impaired). Disregarding my bad seats, overall grade: B-
                Last edited by salmoned; December 12, 2008, 12:18 PM.
                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                X