X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maalohi 'o Tonga

I ran across this article this morning in the LA Times:

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/dec/05/world/fg-tonga5

I am sitting here posting this with tears rolling down my face, feeling so much pride in the people and country I love so much. I hope that you all will bear with me as I post the article in its entirety rather than just posting a link, but this is so much of who I am. The red patches on their shoulders are the Tongan flag. The posturing is authentic. Although I can't be there to perform Sipi Tau with them, I am there in spirit. These guys are true gentle giants but they can strike fear into the heart of any enemy that would dare to disturb the tranquility of their nature with the intimidating Sipi Tau. The quotes by the Tongans are so anga fakaTonga. Problems in Tonga? "Nothing much." So Tongan. These are guys who are dependable especially if your life depended on it. They have no idea what fear is. Overweight? Yes, if you call 250 pounds of solid muscle overweight. I wish them well as they return to a more peaceful life in the Friendly Islands. I love Tonga and the Tongan people.
    Ofa 'atu kakai Tonga! Angi mai si'i matangi 'i Tonga. Maalohi 'o Tonga. Aye! Aye! Aye! Aye!
    Last edited by admin; December 5, 2008, 07:38 AM. Reason: Never copy and paste full articles from copyrighted sources.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: Maalohi 'o Tonga

Awesome! Mahalo for sharing!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

................................................!!!!!

thank you matapule
      stay forever young

Comment

Beautiful, matapule. Since the LA site had no pics, I found this and this, and THIS!

And this is from me to you with lots of ALOHA!

Cindy

Comment

Here is that beautiful hymn. matapule, I know you are proud.

Comment

Malo 'aupito Cindy! This is turning out to be a very emotional day for me. I am so proud of my boys. And these guys are the nicest people you would ever want to meet. They will share anything they have with any stranger. That is anga fakaTonga.

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
            And this is from me to you with lots of ALOHA!
            This is the actual Sipi Tau ceremony in Iraq a couple of days ago. Maalohi 'o Tonga!

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
            Here is that beautiful hymn. matapule, I know you are proud.
            This hymn, in 9 part harmony, is what my boys would be rather doing than fighting. It is in their genes. In fact, the Tongan word for song, hiva, is the same word for the number nine. These guys were not specially trained as a choir. Everyone in Tonga sings like this in church, at special ceremonies, or just for the heck of it.

Mission truly accomplished Royal Tongan Marines. Your country is justifiably proud of you.

And ofa 'atu to Cindy from all Tongans for the links.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

That was soooo awesome!!

I'll never forget the first time I saw that dance (is it called Sipi Tau?) in San Diego, about a year and a half ago. At a rugby match. It was actually also the first rugby game I ever got to see live in person. Tonga vs. some other country. Anyways, I had no idea what was going on, and at first I was like "is this how rugby matches start usually?" It was amazing to see it (and feel it!) from only 10 feet away!!

Yay Tonga, I'm proud of you as well! I still have goosebumps from watching that video!

Hey, is there a 'girl version' of it, or is it just for the men?
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                I'll never forget the first time I saw that dance (is it called Sipi Tau?) in San Diego, about a year and a half ago. At a rugby match. It was actually also the first rugby game I ever got to see live in person. Tonga vs. some other country.
                I have to talk story about this. Rugby to Tongans is like MLB, NFL, and NBA all rolled into one for Americans. They are fanatics! We trained for the Peace Corps at Ho'olehua, Molokai in 1967 with volunteers that were also going to Western Samoa. Well, the Tongan and Samoan language instructors cooked up this scheme where the Tongan and Samoan volunteers would play a Rugby match for bragging rights to the South Pacific. Each side went through about a weeks training to learn how to play "real" Rugby. OMG, what a match! The Tongans performed Sipi Tau prior to the start of the game. There was blood everywhere, torn clothes, and one volunteer even lost a tooth during the match. Both sides were evenly matched and actually pretty awful but the game was played with a lot of spirit. The Tongan "coaches" were on the sidelines going berserk, like caged animals. Oh, they wanted to get into that game themselves. At the end of the day, the Tongan volunteers prevailed 1-0. There was lots of singing, dancing, and more than a few cases of beer consumed at the party that night enjoyed by both teams and their coaches. Rugby, it's not for wimps!

Hey, is there a 'girl version' of it, or is it just for the men?
                Women do not perform Sipi Tau. They perform Ta'u lunga, a very elegant, sensuous hula like dance accompanied by chants, songs, and lali (drums made from tree trunks) with oil slathered all over their bodies that make them glisten in the firelight. As a matapule, I always got a front row seat.........my oh my!

Comment

That was moving! I'm glad that the Tongans made such an impression during their tour and also that they are going home safely.

Matapule - did you see the video of the lead up to the Tonga vs Samoa game in the Rugby League World Cup last month? You gotta check it out - the anthems, the Ma'a Mate performed the sipi tau and Toa o Samoa their own war dance (not the Manu Samoa that the Samoan rugby team performs)... it was INTENSE!
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeFM6icaxTY

The rivalry between Tonga and Samoa goes way back in history and there had been a lot of build up in the media prior to this game with each team being asked to stay in their own half - of course the Samoans, ever the instigators stood right on the half-way line challenging the Tongans. It was a great lead up and fantastic game - Samoa won!

Rugby League is not popular in either island where Rugby Union is king but it was awesome to see these teams competing at the RL World Cup.
                  Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                  My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                    did you see the video of the lead up to the Tonga vs Samoa game in the Rugby League World Cup last month?
                    No I didn't. Thank you so much for that.

The rivalry between Tonga and Samoa goes way back in history.
                    The dynamics between Tonga and Samoa peoples is an interesting one. I know some Tongan insults for Samoans that I won't repeat, they are pretty vile. Yet, Tongans and Samoans are joined at the hip from a cultural standpoint. However, the handicraft and vocal arts were always more developed in Tonga. In the most northern group of Tongan islands, Vava'u where I lived, the Tongans and Samoans have even intermarried to some extent. I know many Samoans and they are nice people too. I have very basic Samoan language skills.

When it comes to Rugby, it is a symbolic re-enactment of historic rivalries between the two cultures, but you have to realize that Tonga was always at war with their neighbors, no matter who they were, even between and among the Tongans themselves!

Captain Cook called Tonga the Friendly Islands when he "discovered" them because the locals were so warm hearted and welcoming. However, you may recall that Captain Bligh's first landfall after being cast adrift by the mutineers on the Bounty was the Ha'apai group of the Friendly Islands, he thought he had it made! Upon making the landfall and certain rescue, the inhospitable locals promptly killed one of Bligh's crew, and he got the hell out of Dodge immediately for a safer location. So much for the Friendly Islands......of course Captain Bligh was not known as Mr. Charming and the Tongans say he brought the misfortune on himself.

KiwiD, are you part Maori? Again, malo 'aupito for the Link.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                      The dynamics between Tonga and Samoa peoples is an interesting one. I know some Tongan insults for Samoans that I won't repeat, they are pretty vile. Yet, Tongans and Samoans are joined at the hip from a cultural standpoint.
                      Some of the worst rivalries are between folks who have a lot in common. Jews and Arabs, Catholics and Protestants in Ireland to name a couple.

Comment

the Hatfields and the McCoys...

Comment

KiwiD, are you part Maori?
                          Yes, I have ancestors from all over the world but my predominant bloodlines are Samoan, Maori and Fijian.

In the most northern group of Tongan islands, Vava'u where I lived, the Tongans and Samoans have even intermarried to some extent.
                          Ah yes, they've been fighting and intermarrying for a long time - and with the Fijians too! As I like to say, I am a product of Polynesian Unity.
                          Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                          My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                            Yes, I have ancestors from all over the world but my predominant bloodlines are Samoan, Maori and Fijian.
                            You be one lucky ta'ahine!

Ah yes, they've been fighting and intermarrying for a long time - and with the Fijians too! As I like to say, I am a product of Polynesian Unity.
                            It's called Polynesian "fun and games."

Comment

Working...
                            X