Snuff film circulating on the Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snuff film circulating on the Internet

Three bored teens, from wealthy families, decided they wanted to have memories to look back upon, in their old age. So in the span of a month they murdered 21 people; sometimes attending their funerals. They ended up video taping the tortures with cell phones. One of the gruesome videos is making its way around the Internet.

It seems most news agencies are not touching the story, while websites which cater to shocking and offensive material have be linking the video. An Internet domain name, related to the incident, has been registered (anonymously) and is selling advertising space.

So there are a lot of issues one could talk about:

1) with so many people having easy access to video making and distribution, we're starting to see many images which were once censored (in one form or another)
    2) which forms of censorship will develop to counter the flood of these images?
    3) should there be more censorship on the Internet?
    4) obviously there's money to be made, but is there some innate human desire to share horrible things we have seen?
    5) do people "enjoy" watching these videos because they have never witnessed first hand a human suffering and bodies broken?
    6) even though I haven't provided any links, am I guilty of doing my part in encouraging copy cats, but mentioning this story? should I self-censor?

In regards to #6, my strongest urge was to share what I found. I think I added the six intellectual questions as a cover for my initial desire.

[this event didn't occur in the U.S.]
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Snuff film circulating on the Internet

I think this trash should be shown constantly on an easily accessable channel, to get it thru the skulls of those that think it to be OK in some way, or not their problem, or it's not going on that much, or whatever is their method of excusing it to be, that it's absolutely unacceptable.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      I think this trash should be shown constantly on an easily accessable channel, to get it thru the skulls of those that think it to be OK in some way, or not their problem, or it's not going on that much, or whatever is their method of excusing it to be, that it's absolutely unacceptable.
      Time to read "A Clockwork Orange."

Comment

True, but...

...what didn't work there, may work in today's reality.

I should read that anyway..., probably better than the fllick.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

If the video is shown, I don't think it would discourage such acts; it might even encourage them.

People who are disgusted by the video wouldn't commit those crimes in the first place. Other people might be turned on by the excitement and adrenaline of the teens. Such viewers would be given a taste and may crave the real thing.

Maybe...maybe the end result would discourage, but definitely not the act.
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
          "
          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

What we could use is a real-life version of Charles Bronson in "Death Wish".

That'll put a damper on some rotten behavior.

Comment

Working...
            X