RIP, Page Cavanaugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP, Page Cavanaugh

And, no, I don't expect any of you to recognize that name as it was most recognizable during the 40s, 50s and 60s.

Cavanaugh was a wonderful jazz pianist who, at one point, worked with my dad on a project. Cavanaugh, with his trio, also played at many clubs in the L.A./San Fernando Valley area where I got to hear him when my folks couldn't find a babysitter so they had to bring me along! I usually fell asleep in the booth!

Page brings back so many childhood memories. It was fun to find a photo of him with my dad when I received all of my dad's memoribilia a few years ago.

RIP, Page...

Talk about some high stylin'...

Your friend Page was really some top shelf talent in the days when it really meant something. Some stunning revelations in recent obits about the man, which of course just touches the surface of his talents, accolades, and experiences. A real performer!

Everybody should have at least one person this talented and special, close in their life to appreciate and reflect on.

Please, tell us about him!
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: RIP, Page Cavanaugh

My childhood memories consist of tagging along with my parents to Page's gigs in the Burbank/No. Hollywood area...Alfonse's and the Money Tree come to mind. So does Dante's but I think I was older. Anyway, I'm sure those nights when no babysitter was available helped contribute to my love of jazz and my memory of Page!!! My Godmother joined us on many nights and Page would stop by our table during his breaks. I felt so grown up!!! Even at my young age, I knew he was a celebrated musician.

Last year I googled Page and learned that he was in the Signal Corp at Fort Monmouth, NJ, during WW2. So was my dad and I still wonder if that's where they initially met. Somewhere in one of the boxes of my dad's memoribilia is a photo of Pop playing guitar in the Signal Corp jazz band. I want to find that photo to see if Page was the pianist.

I recall my folks were friendly acquaintances who supported Page when he had nearby gigs. I wish I had some knowledge of the project he and my dad worked on but I don't. Damn memory... Still, whatta fun trip down Memory Lane!

Comment

Find and post the pic of your Dad and the guitar, w/ or w/out Page!
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          Find and post the pic of your Dad and the guitar, w/ or w/out Page!
          I have to dive in to my storage locker tomorrow for other reasons. I'll add finding the photo to the list!

Comment

Dante's... wow, there's a memory in itself! One of the great classic jazz clubs, along with The Lighthouse down near Redondo Beach.
            I'm looking forward to seeing your photos, Tutu.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              Dante's... wow, there's a memory in itself! One of the great classic jazz clubs, along with The Lighthouse down near Redondo Beach.
              I'm looking forward to seeing your photos, Tutu.
              I don't have any photos from the old jazz clubs...at least none that I've run across. What I'll be looking for is a photo of the Signal Corp jazz band from WW2.

Dante's was opened in the early 60s, iirc, by choreographer, Carey Leverette, again iirc!!! There were probably some partners in that venture <shrug>! Gotta admit I'm pulling dead spiders out of old cob webs! Anyway, Carey was my dad's first choice for choreographers when needed and he knew my dad was a jazz head! Dante's became my parents hangout during the 60s.

Comment

Working...
              X