Last Hilo Hattie Store in Cali closes Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Hilo Hattie Store in Cali closes Sunday

Today I went to the Hilo Hattie Store in Orange, California, to get my supply of Li Hing Mui and a few calendars... Shelves are bare, and the place looked empty. I guessed it had been some months since I was here last... it's 5 miles away from my home. Gas prices, you know? Maybe the Christmas season was good for them?

Of course, I was greeted with a shell lei like always, and I asked my host about the lack of merchandise available. He had the saddest look on his face as he told me that in two days the store would be gone! They had only been notified four days before.

No Ling hing mui, no calendar, and worse, no aloha left here for these employees. I was almost too heartbroken to shop... all the gold, pearls, and $$$ jewlry counters were empty already. Most of the Kona coffee gone. I walked over to the clearance rack, where I would have to shop anyway, being a poor person... 7 shirts waiting there for me, crying out to go home with me.... And the total was $25 for all! OK, so that was really great, but now what?

I asked the same guy, what about The Gaslamp store in San Diego? "They closed the store there last month." Ouch! This economic phooey is starting to hurt me, even the occasional joy of going to Hilo Hattie's is being taken away... what next to be destroyed, I ask you?

This morning I checked their website, got a coupon for a free box of Hawai'ian Host candies, and saw the two Cali stores listed. The evening the website had them removed for their listings. So if you live in Orange County, get there in the next two days, by Jan. 4th ..... eh, now I gotta use a Maxim calendar! Or buy one on eBay. I am ticked!
    Last edited by snowbird; January 2, 2009, 06:42 PM.

Re: Last Hilo Hattie Store in Cali closes Sunday

As I always suggest to Oahu visitors or anybody seeking out the Hilo Hatties outlet, learn about the lady herself, instead of what has upsurped her fame as on of Hawaii's greatest entertainers and personalities. The store/product is merely avaerage, while Clara Inter/Hilo Hattie was anything but.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Well said, Ron. As it was the Lady herself's talent and demeanor that drew me to the Stores so many years ago, you are correct! She was a special woman. Aloha Magazine did a wonderful article about her life and many achievements nearly 20 years ago, and I still have it somehwere, as well as a few treasured 78 RPM wax records. Last night, while watching old Hawaii Five-0 dvds, I shouted out "that's Hilo Hattie." My hubby said, "You mean there really is a Hilo Hattie?" Duh! Of course, that prompted a lecture by me... NOW he knows!

Sadly, for us mainlanders, the store, average at best, was all we had. Now it's the internet for sure. One good thing out of this: I made a new friend on ebay last night, out Mililani way.

Comment

Sorry to hear that they're closing. I stopped in there several years back and ran into some friends from here on the windward side. Had a great time talking story with them and the staff and some of the shoppers who were also from here.
        If I recall correctly (which rarely occasionally sometimes happens), there was a Krispy Kreme doughnuts in that same shopping center.
        And Snowbird -- welcome to HT!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, Likanui. Yeah, I choked up hearing the news. It's hard to come by any Island Style on the mainland, except L & L is a half mile from my house. Krispy Kreme, mmm, dunno. I go right to the HH store and outta the mall; too expensive to eat there. But now that I got the munchies, that's a great idea! Thanks! SB

Comment

Oh yeah, welcome aboard, snowbird!

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
            Last night, while watching old Hawaii Five-0 dvds, I shouted out "that's Hilo Hattie."
            Yep, she was in 2 5-0 episodes, and was pretty much the last things she did as a performer. I always love it when either episode comes on, just to see her again in good health and working.
            Amazing how many famous locals, most now gone..., got bit parts in that show, and a top reason why we still love watching it.

Comment

Over the years, I've gotten a few cool Aloha Shirts from Hilo Hatties.

And Hawaii 5-0 rules! HaHa!
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                Over the years, I've gotten a few cool Aloha Shirts from Hilo Hatties.

And Hawaii 5-0 rules! HaHa!
                Hawaii Five-0 does rule! How comes there's no thread about it? I could bore you talking about it all day long...;-)

As I don't live in the Islands of Aloha, this show is as close as I can get, for now... I love the old-time scenery locations, and the old cars, and...

See, I told you; don't get me started. Lol!
                SB

Comment

5-0 threads...

Check the - HI Media - topic section. There is a media collective there and in the TV section there is lot's of 5-0 stuffs, and probably elsewhere too.

Comment

Re: 5-0 threads...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                    Check the - HI Media - topic section.
                    Thanks, I did.... read the whole thread, and got so excited, I went and watched 5 episodes of it in a row. I'm good for now.

MMan- come on over, I got 284 episodes of it! giggles
                    SB

Comment

Working...
                    X