Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Business In Hawaii?

Aloha,

My name is TY Lee and I have had a great time particapating in the threads in the media section of this site. However I wanted to learn more about Hawaii's music business and it was suggested that I post here on Bishop Street.

So, here I am. Anybody here with adventures in the music business? Distributors? Venues? Record companies?

Mahalo,

TY

Re: Music Business In Hawaii?

Ah, we need to lure Nancy Ishimoto here because she's certainly had massive experience. Unfortunately she's gone from being quite active on-line to an almost total disappearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
      Ah, we need to lure Nancy Ishimoto here because she's certainly had massive experience. Unfortunately she's gone from being quite active on-line to an almost total disappearance.

WOW Albert! What a strange coincidence that I would happen upon this page. Long time no hear from you, my friend. Email me some time! And yes, it would appear that I've all but disappeared, but I've made it a point to keep up with the business as much as possible. Life required that I have a full time paying job, and since what I was doing was actually costing me money, I chose to pursue the regular paycheck. Too bad I would never allow myself to 'rip off' the artists or I would have been able to stay in business and made a ton of money.

Ty, I would love to share with you all that I know. If you have a question that I'm not sure of, I'll find out the answer for you. Best way to contact me is through email. Since this is the first time in here, I'm not sure if the email is posted ... use nancyfsm@yahoo.com and I will do what I can for ya.

Comment

Nancy said:

"Too bad I would never allow myself to 'rip off' the artists or I would have been able to stay in business and made a ton of money."

And would have hated yourself, never be able to dance again.

Comment

I quite vividly remember watching Nancy and a late mutual friend of ours, Gino, getting into some down and dirty dancing at a 50th birthday party out in Kahalu'u just a few years ago. Hehehe...

Real long time no see, Nancy. I think the last time might have been at the old Shipley's in Manoa for that fundraiser they had after the place caught on fire. How you been? Shawn doing okay?

Comment

Nancy said:

"Too bad I would never allow myself to 'rip off' the artists or I would have been able to stay in business and made a ton of money."

undefined
            Too true dear Albert ... and where would I be if I couldn't dance?

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
              I quite vividly remember watching Nancy and a late mutual friend of ours, Gino, getting into some down and dirty dancing at a 50th birthday party out in Kahalu'u just a few years ago. Hehehe...

Real long time no see, Nancy. I think the last time might have been at the old Shipley's in Manoa for that fundraiser they had after the place caught on fire. How you been? Shawn doing okay?
              Those were SOME times yeah? Ahhhh, the good old days.

Long time no see steh mo longer for Shawn but. We're all doing good. Well, ok. Shawn IS in need of a job. After about 2 years at Chili's Kahala, they decided that they were cutting ALL entertainment funding, so the poor boy is hurtin for work...if anyone hears anything, I'd appreciate a shout!~ Other than that, Shawn's good. Someday we may even finish up his last 3 CD's.
              Last edited by Nancy; July 29, 2004, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Nancy wrote:

"anyone hears anything, I'd appreciate a shout!"

There's a new place at the old Hawaiian Regent, now Marriott-whatever, with something callled "Elegant Dive" (or something like that ... see the Weekly.)

They're having John Feary on Thursday evenings from 5-6:30 and I'm embarrassed I missed the first two gigs, will try to do better next week if they continue it.

Comment

Thanks Albert, I'll pass that along. And shame on you for missing the first two gigs...but I'm sure you'll make up for lost time! Good to hear that John's workin'.

Comment

Nancy said:

"Good to hear that John's workin'."

Well, I've heard from some old dude you might recall named Kory K, that both John Feary and Harold Kama, Jr. are driving Budweiser delivery trucks to make a living.

Truly sad, for two of the most talented young local musicians, but I certainly am happy to see John Feary performing again.

What would be wonderful would be to see a band which combined Shawn, John, Harold and Lopaka Colon. Now that would be gigs I would not miss.

Comment

Working...
                    X