And so it begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And so it begins

Tonight marked the beginning of what I'm afraid is going to be a drawn-out good-bye process. One of our good friends is having to travel for work for three weeks and won't be here when we leave. He's sort of our neighborhood hub- everyone goes over to his house to hang out. So tonight was the last time I got to walk across the street to chill over there.

I knew this was coming, but in a little over two weeks, I'm going to be back on the mainland. It didn't really seem real until tonight. I'm so thankful for all the friends I made here and all the adventures I had, but part of me is kind of sad that all I made all these awesome friends just to have them yanked away from me three months later. I'm trying to get excited about going back, but I really can't. This just sucks.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Re: And so it begins...

Awwww! Poor you.

Look on the bright side...we'll still be here, and you can pop in anytime you want.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: And so it begins...

aw bummer. sorry to hear
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Re: And so it begins

Sorry to hear about that - I just had to leave again myself - but, old Hawaii people know better than to make friends with someone until they have lived in Hawaii at least three years or more - and even then, unless they were born here nearly everyone who comes here leaves eventually. When I was a small time kid, the first thing any propective employer did was ask applicants, "How long you been living here?" If the answer was less than a year - they wouldn't get hired - too much trouble to train people who were enthralled with Hawaii at first without realizing that it takes a certain temperment - or having been born on the island - to be able to stay "on the rock."

Comment

Sorry to hear you must leave.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear you are leaving. I was in a very similar situation years ago. I will never give up my dream to come back to the islands. You shouldn't, either!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Valenti View Post
              but, old Hawaii people know better than to make friends with someone until they have lived in Hawaii at least three years or more
              Well, I'm glad my friends were more open-minded! Although, considering I live in a place with an 85% military demographic, they're a little more willing to take chances on the "let's make the most of the time we have while we can and we'll catch up later in Heaven if we both make it" friendships.

Thanks, guys! If the housing market wasn't so crappy right now, we might be tempted to sell up back home, but we're trying to be responsible adults (for once!). But yeah...we both really do want to come back. At least you guys don't go anywhere!
              Last edited by surlygirly; January 15, 2009, 01:06 PM. Reason: Can't spell

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                Well, I'm glad my friends were more open-minded! Although, considering I live in a place with an 85% military demographic, they're a little more willing to take chances on the "let's make the most of the time we have while we can and we'll catch up later in Heaven if we both make it" friendships.

Thanks, guys! If the housing market wasn't so crappy right now, we might be tempted to sell up back home, but we're trying to be responsible adults (for once!). But yeah...we both really do want to come back. At least you guys don't go anywhere!
                I don't even really know you, but I can imagine the sadness you feel. I wish it wouldn't have to happen this way, and you could be able to stay. I have enjoyed reading your posts very much, and like what you have to say to everybody. I wish you the best of luck, and I'm sure I'll still be reading your thoughts here at HT. It's a big world; lots of things can happen. Maybe you'll be back to Hawaii sooner than you think. It could happen.

Safe journeys, Surlygirly...
                SB

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                  I don't even really know you, but I can imagine the sadness you feel. I wish it wouldn't have to happen this way, and you could be able to stay. I have enjoyed reading your posts very much, and like what you have to say to everybody. I wish you the best of luck, and I'm sure I'll still be reading your thoughts here at HT. It's a big world; lots of things can happen. Maybe you'll be back to Hawaii sooner than you think. It could happen.

Safe journeys, Surlygirly...
                  SB
                  Aw, thanks SB. Yeah, I plan to stick around here at least. Maybe one day you and I will both be on the island!

Comment

Just a thought - despite what I said about old Hawaii people, I was only talking about a general feeling - many of us who grew up in Hawaii got pretty frustrated when nearly everyone from the mainland we ever made friends with ended up leaving - it was hard. That doeesn't mean we didn't make friends, it only meant that fofr many local people - particularly employers (and my brothers and owned the Valenti Print Group in Kakaako for years) one tried to exercise a little caution - it is expensive and time consuming to train a new employee only to have them get rock fever after 6 months, get tired of the high cost of living, or find it hard to deal with the cultural complexities of the islands and leave. I feel for everyone who has been forced to leave - heck, I have been in forced residence for almost 15 years now because I have an ex-wife who won't live there and a daughter who is a child of the northwest. On the flip side of this discussion, my brothers and I have brought several people to Hawaii in our early years - most of whom have become almost kamaaina themselves - they have nevre left. I hope you get the chance to come back.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bRQpO1KziU

Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                        ...marked the beginning of what I'm afraid is going to be a drawn-out good-bye process... This just sucks.
                        Hope you're making the best of it?!
                        I wish you all the bestest and stay a part of the ohana here, 'K!
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Valenti View Post
                          Just a thought - despite what I said about old Hawaii people, I was only talking about a general feeling - many of us who grew up in Hawaii got pretty frustrated when nearly everyone from the mainland we ever made friends with ended up leaving - it was hard.
                          Yes, it's true.
                          And how 'bout all our local born friends that have ended up...
                          well, worldwide?!
                          Miss them too.
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

You got that part right too - I taught at the UW for years and tutored the UW Football Team and I can tell you first hand how many local kids come to the mainland for school and never go home - or at least not until they are older - much older. I am one of them. I miss Hawaii terribly, but the opportunities there are limited and once a young person from someplace like Palolo sees what the mainland has to offer in the way of culture, growth, education, and employment, it is hard for them to be satisfied with the beach, huli huli and a six pack on the weekend. When I was growing up we used to say that if it didn't happen in Hawaii, it didn't happen - all too true for many of my high school friends who have never left - been doing the same things for 40 years - not always bad, but maybe a little frustrating-boring- whatever?

Still love it miss it though and am now about the age I need to be to come and stay - just as soon as my 13 year old goes of to college.

Comment

SG, so sorry to hear your news. I remember when I lived here with my first hubby and he got orders to transfer back to Texas. I was so bummed because I had made so many friends here, had gotten my Masters degree at UH and did NOT want to leave. On the day I flew out, I drank a few (okay more than a few) margaritas at a local restaurant with friends and cried as I boarded the plane. People in Corpus Christi who got to know me, knew me as the "girl from Hawaii" who lived for the day that I would return. Long story short... got divorced, married a few years later, made a few trips here....then 23 years later FINALLY moved back with hubby and almost 11 year old daughter. Have been here 6 years now and feel that this is truly home....even if circumstances cause me to leave again (like aging parents). We own a much smaller place than we did in Texas, but we're here where we want to be. Hopefully you'll come back here soon!

Comment

Working...
                              X