Hawai`i-themed radio play taping in Seattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawai`i-themed radio play taping in Seattle

“CHANG APANA: HEART OF A LION” is a new, original radio play about the man who was the real-life inspiration for Charlie Chan. A police officer in Honolulu’s Chinatown district during Hawai`i's territorial days, Apana was a man small in stature but big in his community; he generally didn’t carry a firearm, but preferred a bullwhip. The “crack” of his whip became a signal to petty criminals in the district that Detective Apana was near, and it was time for them to rethink their activities!

Presented by Seattle’s American Radio Theater company, “Chang Apana: Heart of a Lion” will be performed and recorded complete with live musical accompaniment on Saturday, March 21, 2009, at 3:00 and 7:00 p.m., at Pioneer Hall, 1642 – 43rd Ave. E (in Seattle’s Madrona Park neighborhood). Tickets (at the door) are $10.

Additional information: 206-632-1653; JJLjackson -at- aol.com

(In addition to being a cast member, I'm directing the music. There's another thread about this play, but I put this one here as it seemed appropriate to now have it in the "announcing" section. Thanks to buzz1941 for the publicity and to 1stwahine for the informational tour.)

Re: Hawai`i-themed radio play taping in Seattle

Hello Leo Lakio,

I read your post with great interest, as I've been researching the life of Chang Apana since 1982. I have audio recordings (interviews) with his three daughters and also his number one favorite cousin Walter Wan Chang. I'm in the process of finishing up a book that I wrote on the life of Chang Apana: It's called "Charlie Chan's Hawaii", and focuses specifically on the life of Apana. There are many self-styled Apana experts in Hawaii, and I feel that I am the only one with all the real info about Apana, the man: Information that can not be obtained from public records. If I can be of any help with you radio project, I can be reached by email: endyr@gmx.com
    I also have a blog called "Charlie Chan's Hawaii", that contains information about Chang Apana that can't be found any where else. Here is the URL for the blog:
    http://www.charliechanshawaii.blogspot.com
    I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

-Gilbert Martines

Last edited by endyr; November 18, 2009, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Re: Hawai`i-themed radio play taping in Seattle

Mahalo, Gilbert.

I'm going to pass your information over to Joy Jackson, our author, as she wants to do a series of radio plays about Apana. I'm sure you'll hear from her soon.

Comment

Working...
      X