Octuplets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octuplets

Oh Lordy...this recent story has taken a twist. What doctor in his/her right mind would consent to in vitro under these circumstances? In addition...
    Her fertility doctor has not been identified.
    My, oh my, I wonder why!!!

Re: Octuplets

You know, I wish I were surprised by that having read it yesterday.
    Idiots are among us.

Comment

The update I heard yesterday was that the mother already had 6 children. My daughter said she heard there was a husband but the cited article states otherwise. We both agreed the doctor needs to take on the lion's share of the blame. In a strange way it's kind of akin to the subprime lending situation...banks willingly lending large sums of money to people who couldn't afford it. I put the lion's share of the blame on the banks. A lame analogy, I know!

Comment

She actually has a college degree but always wanted lots of children.
        I like your analogy!

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
          She actually has a college degree but always wanted lots of children.
          That's part of the bizarre twist!
          Nadya Suleman holds a 2006 degree in child and adolescent development from California State University, Fullerton, and as late as last spring she was studying for a master's degree in counseling,...
          It appears she was still living at home with her mom.
          I like your analogy!

Comment

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4764432.shtml

This report says the family filed for bankruptcy about a year ago, and the grandfather is going back to his native Iraq to gets funds for the family.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Aha...that's how my daughter misunderstood the word "husband". My daughter also mentioned he had "something to do with Iraq". The grandfather of the babies is Iraqi.

This story certainly took a downward spiral. I wonder if there will be any charitable offerings similar to what other mega-multiple births have garnered; or if this situation is just too bizarre to touch.

Regardless of the circumstances there are now 14 innocent keiki who didn't ask to be born. How tragic.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                What doctor in his/her right mind would consent to in vitro under these circumstances?
                The first question I have is what latitude do doctors have in making those decisions. If they refused, could he/she be taken to court?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  The first question I have is what latitude do doctors have in making those decisions. If they refused, could he/she be taken to court?
                  Doctors do not have to treat a patient [disclaimer: I'm not referring to emergency situations]. Matter of fact, a doctor can even discharge a patient if they choose to, as long as they don't "abandone" the patient without due notice. I've worked for a doctor who discharged two patients that I know of, because the patients would not cooperate with what they needed to do to help insure success of the treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    Amati's link in post #6 might shed a little light on the subject...not necessarily as it relates to a law suit. Rather, the ethics of the situation.

I have no law background but I have worked in ob/gyn. I can't imagine a judge ruling against a doctor, in this same situation, should a doctor refuse to do the implant. I can't even imagine it getting as far as court. But, I could be wrong! Now, the in vitro clinic and the OB clinic are separate entities. The mom showed up at the Kaiser clinic when she was 3 months pregnant. Good grief...no prenatal care during the first 3 months of a mega-multiple pregnancy? Amazing. I wonder if Kaiser was obligated to take her on as a patient or if they could've legally refused.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      I wonder if Kaiser was obligated to take her on as a patient or if they could've legally refused.
                      ***DISCLAIMER AHEAD. SPECULATION: ***
                      Recent bankruptcy.
                      No father for .... was it 6 kids already?
                      Very pregnant with ..... was it 8 babies?
                      Grandfather having to return to Iraq for funds.
                      Here is a big leap, but maybe she is on welfare and Kaiser inherited her as a patient through that program. Kaiser could not refuse her as a patient if that was the case (the insurance cannot pick and choose patients if they come as part of a group).

Comment

How was she able to get IV treatment for seven pregnancies when the cost of one treatment is enormous? By the age of 33? How are all of these embryos implanted, when one of the babies was unaccounted for until the birth?

Something is fishy about the whole thing.

pax

Comment

She's not on welfare.

Maybe she got the babies implanted in Mexico?
                          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                            Maybe she got the babies implanted in Mexico?
                            Hunh, usually they're implanted in the mother's uterus...
                            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Hope nobody tells the Child Support Agency who I am ?

Comment

Working...
                              X