Aloha Hawaii Threads!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha Hawaii Threads!

Aloha, my name is Raul. My wife and I moved to Oahu from northern CA last summer.

It's taken a while for me to be here, but I'm happy to be able to tell you thank you all for so many great ideas. Many parts of the move were made easier 'cause of you all!

I'm new to island, my wife grew up here. She left when we met and has wanted to come back ever since. What with the kids out of school we decided to make the move.

It's great. I love it here. Thanks to the phone and the internet I can get a "fix" of the kids when I need it. Otherwise, the main thing I miss is Mexican food. Still the poke, kimchee taco, and all the other new stuff to try makes up for it!

And da wife? She's back home, what can I say? So thank you all again!
    If standing up, please hold on. Sudden stops are sometimes necessary - Da Bus

Re: Aloha Hawaii Threads!

Welcome, Raul. Stick around HT long enough and you'll get a whole bunch of ideas...not all of 'em repeatable!

Comment

Originally posted by AztecSon View Post
      Aloha, my name is Raul. My wife and I moved to Oahu from northern CA last summer.
      Great move Buddy!
      Happy wife, happy life. Enjoy!
      And we've got wonderful mexican restaurants here too.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I don't know where you live but if you're close to Mililani - go try "Just Tacos" on Meheula Parkway. I know the owners - the food is very good and since they are Mexican - it's pretty authentic. Plus, he has something like 138 different tequilas in his bar.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Tutusue, funny! I bet that's got to be right!

anapuni808, I'm over on the Windward side by Enchanted Lakes. Thanks for the heads-up on the restaurant, I'll check it out once I convince the wife to make the l-o-n-g trek over the hill. And this from a woman who's done the CA - TX yo-yo with me more than a handful of times ...

But as the menehune man hints, a happy wife is a happy home.

Maybe the tequilas will be the motivator!

Comment

Welcome and Aloha, Raul and family! Search "mexican food" here on HT to get a lineup of good Mexican. I thought I read something about a great place in Kailua; I need to try Just Tacos, too.

Enjoy; having `ohana here on O`ahu makes life that much better.

Comment

I talked to the owner of Just Tacos a couple of weeks ago - he will be opening a new place in Kaneohe soon. but, it won't have all the tequila!!
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Not sure if the great place you were talking about in Kailua was Cisco's but that place sadly has closed

There's also Los Garcia's and another place by Game Stop near Time's.

Both great places. Maui Taco's is always good for a quick in and out.
                Aloha!
                Erik
                More Hawaii travel info at Aloha Update - Hawaii Travel Blog

Comment

I remember Cisco's, that place was great. Biggest Margaritas ever!
                  get so drunk, you don't care what the food tasted like, but if I remember right, the food was good too.
                  there used to be a little hole in the wall in Waikiki, can't remember the name but the decor included furniture on the ceiling and it was right by the smokehouse. Anybody know if it's still there?

Comment

oh yeah, what about Rosies Cantina in Haleiwa?

Comment

Originally posted by blessedmomma View Post
                      [...]
                      there used to be a little hole in the wall in Waikiki, can't remember the name but the decor included furniture on the ceiling and it was right by the smokehouse. Anybody know if it's still there?
                      Same building as Da Smokehouse? If so, I haven't seen it in the almost 2 years that I've lived in that neighborhood. Pomai might have more insight but he seems to be an infrequent member of the HT ohana of late!

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmm! Sounds like there's plenty of exploring to do in the food department! Thank you.

Funny the things you miss or that remind you of "home".

A carnitas taco, a few jalapenos, and some Indio beer ...

Ah, life is good just thinking about it!

Comment

Originally posted by AztecSon View Post
                          Mmmmmmmmmm! Sounds like there's plenty of exploring to do in the food department! Thank you.

Funny the things you miss or that remind you of "home".

A carnitas taco, a few jalapenos, and some Indio beer ...

Ah, life is good just thinking about it!
                          LOL! So Cal girl here. I remember many long years ago, living in the Ozarks, and missing Mexican food. Mom sent me a care package: a tortilla press (who the heck in our family knew how to use this,) a bag of masa, a CAN of tortillas, and some picante sauce. It was all gross, and nothing at all like the food at home, but for a few minutes, I forgot being homesick.

I hear they now have Mexican food in every state! I'm sure I'll be missing my local restaurants too, so luckily for me, I learned to cook it. I make a killer carnitas.

Enjoy yourself here at HT; I really do.... a great group of people!
                          barb

Comment

Working...
                          X