How Do You HitchHike to Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do You HitchHike to Hawaii?

So we're back on the mainland. At first it was kinda awesome to see our house again through new eyes. I appreciated it all over again. It's a lot bigger than the one we had in IP and there aren't any planes. We have hardwood and carpet! A real bathtub!

We picked up our dogs. I missed them. They're very glad to be home.

But...now I'm homesick. Can you be homesick for somewhere you only lived for a little while? I actually miss the planes! There's nowhere to go and nobody to go there with. Our street is dead silent all the time. No friends across the street to hang with. Everyone here just lives in their own little bubble.

But I don't think I can swim all the way across the Pacific! Maybe a kayak?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Re: How Do You HitchHike to Hawaii??

I remember leaving Hawaii after my first vacation there in 1960. As soon as the plane took off I felt like I was leaving home. I was homesick before the plane hit it's maximum altitude! I'd only spent one week. For so many people, Hawaii just gets under their skin.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      I remember leaving Hawaii after my first vacation there in 1960. As soon as the plane took off I felt like I was leaving home. I was homesick before the plane hit it's maximum altitude! I'd only spent one week. For so many people, Hawaii just gets under their skin.
      Well said, TutuSue! It's gotten under mine the same way.

Comment

How Do You HitchHike to Hawaii??

Why, on the Interstate Highways, I would assume.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          When I left HI in the late '60's and moved to Portland, OR, my aunt's neighbor asked me what highway we took.

Comment

Re: How Do You HitchHike to Hawaii?

Come back! We still have to go surfing and jump off the rock!!
            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Oh Jeeze...we parked at the 7 Pools area to take the Waimoku Falls hike once and a tour bus pulled up, one of the dear little old ladies is heard to ask, "Is this still Maui?"...and a friend of mine once had a conversation on an interisland flight with a guy who wondered why they insisted that people fly to get to the neighbor islands. Lets just build a bridge! (comic attempt)

However...there once was a TV news story about a guy who took a specially equipped paddle board from San Pedro to Maui. Hard to believe. I have never seen any follow up on it, anywhere. I recall them mentioning that the guy looked so scary when he washed up that people took him for a pathetic bum and it wasn't until his story was verified that he got a little respect. If anybody has any insight on that story, true or false, I'd be interested to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                [...]
                However...there once was a TV news story about a guy who took a specially equipped paddle board from San Pedro to Maui. Hard to believe. I have never seen any follow up on it, anywhere. I recall them mentioning that the guy looked so scary when he washed up that people took him for a pathetic bum and it wasn't until his story was verified that he got a little respect. If anybody has any insight on that story, true or false, I'd be interested to hear.
                Maybe he initially washed up on Catalina Island and he's still in transit to Maui?

Comment

wow. i bet these dern here ferner manelenders (or 'muricans comin ta Hawaya) kernt even pro nounce hawayan werds...
                  n'importe

Comment

As long as I can use my American dollars at face value, and don't have to get any shots, then I'm good.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      How Do You HitchHike to Hawaii??
                      Yes, via the Long Beach Tunnel. But better pay the driver for a full tank of gas first...
                      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

If you really want to hitchhike to Hawaii...get a job on a sailboat.
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                          Yes, via the Long Beach Tunnel. But better pay the driver for a full tank of gas first...
                          Hmm, either the Long Beach Tunnel or the Trans-Pacific Highway propped up on pontoons. Decisions, decisions ...

Comment

I think a bridge would more practical than a tunnel that is 2 to 3 miles deep down.

Or build a boat's hull around a car.

Comment

They do have build-it-yourself hovercraft kits. Hmm...

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Working...
                              X