Home security company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home security company?

Can anyone recommend a good home security company? A house right up the street from mine was robbed the other day, my car was stolen out of my driveway recently and I'm starting to get worried. My house is one of the only ones in the neighborhood (making it comparatively more attractive to rob) without those signs plastered all over the place announcing that some security company is monitoring the house and I don't have a huge dog(s) ready to rip your throat out if you get too close. I'm actually not too worried about any belongings, I don't really have much to steal. I am worried about my two puppies that stay in the kitchen and the side yard when I'm at work. I feel that if a burglar were to break in, the small dogs barking are not things sympathy would be extended to and I would come home to a robbed house and something much worse.
    Anyway, if anyone has experience with one of the companies that install/monitor home security systems I would appreciate feedback.
    Thanks,
    Stinky
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Re: Home security company?

how unfortunate......a dear cousin uses alert alarm hawaii....no problems per my cousin...she's had it for about 6 years now

i personally prefer my aunts' alarm system; she calls it her twin sisters....a bat under the bed and a loaded shut gun in case of emergencies....i'm a light sleeper

Last edited by Seeking Penance; February 19, 2009, 11:40 PM. Reason: addition
    stay forever young

Comment

Ian Lind, the guy who writes the blog at iLind.net, had a web camera running and recording when his house was buglarized. It helped identify one of the culprits, and led to the recovery of some of the stolen goods.

If you're interested in something like that -- although it's after-the-fact rather than deterrence -- check out CamSecurity in Kaimuki.

Comment

We have Security Alarm they put a great system on our house. The call service of theirs is good as well - Criticom. We've had our system for 5 years now and it's great.

And having Manele & Koele who absolutely hate strangers is a real plus!
        Last edited by leashlaws; February 20, 2009, 12:25 PM. Reason: add information

Comment

I've heard anecdotally that starting with the assumption that the chances of your house being burlarized over the long run is 50% (it's either you or your neighbor). Just by having a dog in your yard and stickers from a reputable alarm company plastered around your home provides 90% protection. The dog and alarm company signs are big deterrents since they'll make your place a less attractive target than your neighbor's place. Buying an alarm system reduces your odds by a relatively small amount. Since it's impossible to provide 100% protection, the gain from an alarm system is even smaller than 10%.

I have absolutely no idea of whether any of this is even close to being true, but it seems to make sense. All of this being said, I have a security system (Security Systems Hawaii) and also pay for monitoring service. I guess that it gives me peace of mind and there's added value in that.

Comment

Another suggestion (and a very cost effective one, at that) would be to start a neighborhood security watch program.

As previously stated, no single solution (alarm, dogs, security company) is a 100% guarantee. But the more deterrents you implement, the better your chances to ward off a burglary attempt.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              Another suggestion (and a very cost effective one, at that) would be to start a neighborhood security watch program.

As previously stated, no single solution (alarm, dogs, security company) is a 100% guarantee. But the more deterrents you implement, the better your chances to ward off a burglary attempt.
              Agreed. The more obvious that a home is being actively watched, the less likely that someone would try it.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses For those of you with an alarm system, can you give me a ballpark range on what installations (nothing really fancy) run for around a 2300 sf house?
                What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Ours was about $40 per unit. We have two and we got two more from our daughters when they moved out.

Monthly fee is about $25 for a large bag of dog food.

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                    A house right up the street from mine was robbed the other day,
                    Inquiring minds want to know:

Robbery is taking something from another person by use of force or threat. It is committed in the presence of the victim. (Such as a “holdup” or “stickup” or mugging.)

Burglary is the unlawful entry of a structure to commit a theft, AKA a "break in”. The victim is not present in a burglary. (If the victim was present, then it would be a robbery.)

Being the victim of a burglary is way less dangerous to the person than being the victim of robbery where violence can occur. Which is why the police respond differently to the call. "I'm being robbed" indicates someone in immediate danger of bodily harm. "The was a burglary at my house" is fully irritating, but not physically dangerous to the victim.
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Ya I think I became aware of that distinction recently on this board somewhere... I actually chose to use the vernacular in this case even though it was wrong. Shame on me :O

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                        [...]
                        Robbery is taking something from another person by use of force or threat. It is committed in the presence of the victim. (Such as a “holdup” or “stickup” or mugging.)

Burglary is the unlawful entry of a structure to commit a theft, AKA a "break in”. The victim is not present in a burglary. (If the victim was present, then it would be a robbery.)[...]
                        I REALLY do learn something new every day even after 6 1/2 decades!!!! Thanks, Amati!

Comment

Originally posted by bueller555 View Post
                          I've heard anecdotally that starting with the assumption that the chances of your house being burlarized over the long run is 50% (it's either you or your neighbor). Just by having a dog in your yard and stickers from a reputable alarm company plastered around your home provides 90% protection. The dog and alarm company signs are big deterrents since they'll make your place a less attractive target than your neighbor's place. Buying an alarm system reduces your odds by a relatively small amount. Since it's impossible to provide 100% protection, the gain from an alarm system is even smaller than 10%.

I have absolutely no idea of whether any of this is even close to being true, but it seems to make sense. All of this being said, I have a security system (Security Systems Hawaii) and also pay for monitoring service. I guess that it gives me peace of mind and there's added value in that.
                          Well, our home was burglarized in June 2008, even though we have two Beagles in our yard where they entered. And, although I do not have a security system, they cut our phone lines anyway - just in case we did.

And, prior to that, our neighbor's home was burglarized too!

So... make sure the security system has some kind of back up or something so that it will still work even if the phone line is cut.
                          I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kanahina View Post
                            Well, our home was burglarized in June 2008, even though we have two Beagles in our yard where they entered. And, although I do not have a security system, they cut our phone lines anyway - just in case we did.

And, prior to that, our neighbor's home was burglarized too!

So... make sure the security system has some kind of back up or something so that it will still work even if the phone line is cut.
                            Wow, that's kind of surprising to me that they would actually cut your phone lines! Kind of reminds me of my bro in law's neighbor who came back from a vacation and all his motion detector light bulbs were removed...but he was lucky enough that his place wasn't broken into.
                            BTW, my wife's car was broken into a few weeks ago in my driveway. They broke the passenger window and went through the glove compartment and stole my wife's makeup. What a great haul for these crackheads. They also broke into a car down the street and got much of the same.
                            Anyone else had their stuff stolen lately?

Comment

http://khon2.com/2014/07/21/beware-o...sales-pitches/

Don't answer the door.

Comment

Working...
                              X