No announcement yet.

Did anyone photo Sunday 2/22's sunset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone photo Sunday 2/22's sunset?

Holy cow, today's sunset was amazing. So pissed I missed it (I didn't notice until I had just gotten onto H-1, and I wasn't mentally prepared to pull over somewhere to shoot it). Let me try to describe it.

First of all the sky was completely clear of low-altitude clouds (the puffy, cotton ball ones), except where the sun was setting. The western sky was full of wispy, high-altitude clouds. It was like someone took a wide brush and painted sweeping strokes across the sky. Add to that smokey yellows, oranges, and reds; and this is what it reminded me of:

http://www.everywheremag.com/photos/320

I had my DSLR in the trunk of my car, along with a tripod, but I had no clue where I could go to get a good, unobstructed shot within 5 minutes (I knew the light wouldn't last for long). Mentally unprepared, I gave up.

I need to scout out spots within Honolulu, especially near H-1, where I can take a shot if a beautiful sunset presents itself. Live and learn. /sigh
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Did anyone photo Sunday 2/22's sunset?

This might be a shot of the sunset, but earlier than when I saw the gorgeous colors (you only have a window of seconds to minutes):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jefflev...n/photostream/
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "

Comment

I want to preface this by saying I am not a photographer and I know I'm not. I am not comparing this to your shot. This is not a very good sunset or picture.

I just wanted to say that IP was a great place for taking sunset pictures. If you are in the area, you can get a pass for the public beach in IP and there's a great backdrop of Waikiki and Diamond Head in the background. I know the chances of catching it are slim to none, but it's all I could think of.
      Attached Files

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
        ....I need to scout out spots within Honolulu, especially near H-1, where I can take a shot if a beautiful sunset presents itself. Live and learn. /sigh
        If you're near the School St., Palama St., or Houghtailing St. cutoffs go up by Maluhia hospital and you would have a beautiful view of the SW horizon.

Comment

Wow, thanks a lot for sharing your spots, SurlyGirly and D'Alani. I'll have to scout them out. Looking for photo spots breathes new life into this island I've lived on for most of my life, though I must admit I'm fairly ignorant of a lot of it. Like what does IP stand for?

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
          I want to preface this by saying I am not a photographer and I know I'm not. I am not comparing this to your shot. This is not a very good sunset or picture.
          Oh please, I'm not a Photographer either I'm just an enthusiastic amateur who likes talking about it.

Of your two pictures, I like the second one better. The green grass is a nice balance, with the sky above and the thin line of yellew inbetween. The triangular umbrellas/roofs are just at the right height that they look like mountains on the horizon.

I'm bummed to see Texas as your location now :_(
          "

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
            [...]Like what does IP stand for?[...]
            Iroquois Point (Ewa Beach...not quite Honolulu!)

Comment

Shortly after graduating college, I lived up on St Louis heights. There's a hairpin curve that was within walking distance from my rented room. That was a great place for sunset photos. It was on a hill, nothing nearby. It overlooked the city so I got some great city lights photos with a sunset in the background.

Comment

Thanks. I like the 2nd one better myself...the sky just looks prettier in the 1st one.

I'm bummed to see Texas as your location now :_(
                Me too!!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  Iroquois Point
                  Ahh so. Thanks, TS.

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  That was a great place for sunset photos.
                  Cool. I can imagine the view is nice. I don't remember driving up there, but who knows. It'll be fun to explore the nooks and crannies. Thanks GG!

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                  Thanks. I like the 2nd one better myself...the sky just looks prettier in the 1st one.
                  Now that you mention it, there is a nice patch of blue in the 2nd one. I wasn't conscious of it, but perhaps I was responding to it none the less.
                  "

Comment

WOW, great pictures--including the one of Antelope Canyon, as an example of the sunset pictures. I've been there and was fortunate enough to take some gorgeous pictures (gorgeous only because of the subject matter, not because of the photographer! ). However, I still love photographing Hawaii more, because the scenery is always changing. Or maybe it's just 'cause I love Hawaii so much!! Anyway, keep the beauty coming, you all!!

Comment

I didn't get any on that day, but these are 2 of my favorites i've got.

website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Working...
                      X