The Homeless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Homeless

I was sitting in my car at a red light last night, and watched this elderly woman sitting outside of the Zippy's between King and Young Streets. She looked well-dressed with a nondescript track jacket and track pants. At her side was a leather purse and a duffel bag. I thought that she was probably waiting for a cab.

But as soon as a man exited the restaurant, the woman asked him, "care to help the homeless?" The man took about three steps, paused, and looked in the pocket of his hoodie. He drew out two dollars, which he handed to the woman. She excitedly said thank you, and the man walked away with his head down--a forlorn look of sympathy and some disappointment (towards beggars and society, I surmise) on his face.

The woman stood with the two dollars in her hand and gazed through the restaurant's windows, imagining the night's possibilities made with the cash in her hand. She had a bright smile on her face, with twinkling eyes that captured the restaurant's ambient lighting. When people say that the elderly have a second childhood, it broke my heart to see an elderly woman looking so puerile because she was having a treat (something so basic as hot food) for once.

She is someone's daughter. Possibly a mother and grandmother. But here she was, scraping up some cash just to have something to eat. If I wasn't rushing to the airport, I would've took her in to get a meal. Next time I'm in Oahu, I would like to find her and get her something to eat.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: The Homeless

That would be a nice gesture, ML. Auntie Lynn was the one who taught me not to give money because the chances are pretty high it would be spent on drugs. I tend to keep McDonald's gift certificates in my car and will offer a $5. one. I've been turned down on occasion. I guess Auntie was right!

Speaking of homeless folks. I was driving to Makaha yesterday and noticed a homeless tent on the beach in Nanakuli. While that's certainly not unusual, what it was accessorized with was...a Holiday Inn flag attached to the top of the tent and completely unfurled in the wind. I'm still laughing. Humor rocks even in a situation that generates very little.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      That would be a nice gesture, ML. Auntie Lynn was the one who taught me not to give money because the chances are pretty high it would be spent on drugs. I tend to keep McDonald's gift certificates in my car and will offer a $5. one. I've been turned down on occasion.
      Dat's becuz they know that Mickey D's food is fattening and unhealthy!

J/K!!!!!!

Seriously, Lynn is right. If you give a panhandler money, it is really not doing them any favors. 99% of the time it will be spent on drugs, booze, cigarettes, and other purchases that are non-essential and wasteful. When homeless people are hungry, they know where to go for free food. So if you give them money, it's almost a guarantee that it will be spent on something other than food.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Dat's becuz they know that Mickey D's food is fattening and unhealthy!

J/K!!!!!! [...]
        Not all of it, silly! There are a few healthy choice. Emphasis on FEW!!!

True story that I think I've told before...SoCal...winter...
        I went out to dinner with my folks and doggie bagged my leftovers. As we were walking from the restaurant to the car we passed 2 homeless guys seated on a low wall surrounding a tree. I got about 10' beyond them, turned around, walked back and handed my bag to one of them. With a straight face he nicely asked what it contained. I told him and he politely turned me down explaining he was a vegetarian...and returned the bag to me!!!! His friend never said a word.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
          I was sitting in my car at a red light last night, and watched this elderly woman sitting outside of the Zippy's between King and Young Streets. She looked well-dressed with a nondescript track jacket and track pants. At her side was a leather purse and a duffel bag. I thought that she was probably waiting for a cab.

But as soon as a man exited the restaurant, the woman asked him, "care to help the homeless?" The man took about three steps, paused, and looked in the pocket of his hoodie. He drew out two dollars, which he handed to the woman. She excitedly said thank you, and the man walked away with his head down--a forlorn look of sympathy and some disappointment (towards beggars and society, I surmise) on his face.

/snip

She is someone's daughter. Possibly a mother and grandmother. But here she was, scraping up some cash just to have something to eat. If I wasn't rushing to the airport, I would've took her in to get a meal. Next time I'm in Oahu, I would like to find her and get her something to eat.
          I may have spoken with her. I was at Zippy's when an elderly woman asked me for some money for food. She said she was homeless and that people have asked her why she doesn't go to a shelter but she doesn't want to. She said life was difficult but she'd just have to do the best she can on her own.

This also reminds me of a homeless man who had some money and bought himself food at McDonald's. They sold him the food but when he sat down to eat it, they told him he couldn't eat it in the restaurant. He said quietly that he paid for his food but the employees said he smelled and would have to take his food elsewhere to eat it. They wound up calling security to make him leave.

Comment

Speaking of homeless folks. I was driving to Makaha yesterday and noticed a homeless tent on the beach in Nanakuli. While that's certainly not unusual, what it was accessorized with was...a Holiday Inn flag attached to the top of the tent and completely unfurled in the wind. I'm still laughing. Humor rocks even in a situation that generates very little.

We took a drive out that way a couple of weeks ago and saw they same flag. It was funny but sad all at the same time.

Originally posted by Adri
            This also reminds me of a homeless man who had some money and bought himself food at McDonald's. They sold him the food but when he sat down to eat it, they told him he couldn't eat it in the restaurant. He said quietly that he paid for his food but the employees said he smelled and would have to take his food elsewhere to eat it. They wound up calling security to make him leave.
            Security was completely out of line to make the man leave. If he bought food there he has every right to eat it there. It's said those employees didn't have some compassion.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
              [...]
              Originally posted by diamond3121 View Post
              [...]
              Security was completely out of line to make the man leave. If he bought food there he has every right to eat it there. It's said those employees didn't have some compassion.
              At the risk of a flame out <g> I think I'll need to err on the side of McD's on this one. If the man's malodorous condition was that noticable then it could easily impact the restaurant's other customers causing them to leave before even ordering. It's a tough situation, I know, but there are other patrons to consider and feel compassion for and a restaurant's reputation to protect. It's most unpleasant to eat surrounded by an objectionable odor. Regardless, it was a sad situation.

Comment

I'd finished a gig in Kelly O'Neils in Lewars and was walking back to my hotel down Kuhio. On the right there was small recess, you couldn't call it a park but it was green and had a few benches in it.
                There was a homeless man on one of the benches, all his worldy goods were in his trolley. When I asked if I could joined him, he welcomed me as if inviting me into his home. We shared a few ciggies and had a good chat. It was obvious to me that he was very intelligent but also had a mental illness.
                Had there been a take-away near then I would have got him some food but sadly everywhere was shut.
                My own rule is Not to give the homeless money in case it's spent on alcohol or drugs.
                Strangely enough ! I met the same guy a few days later. He was in that large park opposite to the zoo. Sorry, I cant remember its name. He was sleeping under a banyan tree with polythene sheeting over him. It was pouring rain. This time I managed to get him a few burgers and cans of coke, so my conscience felt a bit better. I left him as a happy chappy (outside his skin) with a half pack of ciggies and a disposeable lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                  I'd finished a gig in Kelly O'Neils in Lewars and was walking back to my hotel down Kuhio. On the right there was small recess, you couldn't call it a park but it was green and had a few benches in it.
                  There was a homeless man on one of the benches, all his worldy goods were in his trolley. When I asked if I could joined him, he welcomed me as if inviting me into his home. We shared a few ciggies and had a good chat. It was obvious to me that he was very intelligent but also had a mental illness.
                  Had there been a take-away near then I would have got him some food but sadly everywhere was shut.
                  My own rule is Not to give the homeless money in case it's spent on alcohol or drugs.
                  Strangely enough ! I met the same guy a few days later. He was in that large park opposite to the zoo. Sorry, I cant remember its name. He was sleeping under a banyan tree with polythene sheeting over him. It was pouring rain. This time I managed to get him a few burgers and cans of coke, so my conscience felt a bit better. I left him as a happy chappy (outside his skin) with a half pack of ciggies and a disposeable lighter.
                  Barry lies :- My conscience only felt momentary better. My eyes leaked when I walked away and felt so futile with a pocket full of money. There were so many homeless people there, sleeping out in the rain. I wanted to do something but as a Haole/Outsider/Brit - White boy ! What could I contribute. ???

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                    Barry lies :- My conscience only felt momentary better. My eyes leaked when I walked away and felt so futile with a pocket full of money. There were so many homeless people there, sleeping out in the rain. I wanted to do something but as a Haole/Outsider/Brit - White boy ! What could I contribute. ???
                    Well, this local/kama'aina dude will tell you this: While there are some local homeless out there, there's a lot of homeless people who actually come from the Mainland who were given one-way tickets by social workers/govt. officials from other states. And those folks made the decision to come here, as our year-round weather is much more tolerable than say, the winters in Boston or Seattle. IOW, other states have dumped their problems on us. (Of course, those states will deny it. But it has happened.)

We in Hawaii can only do so much. And we can't help every homeless person out there. With the economy being the way it is, we need to prioritize and direct our precious limited resources towards helping those who visibly prove themselves as willing to work hard to improve their lot in life, rather than the skid-row bums who only seek a handout.
                    Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 3, 2009, 10:47 AM.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Never give any beggars $ unless you have insight to their actual needs and situation. 99&#37; are scamming. As stated, those in Honolulu especially, know exactly where to get the free foods, but don't want to walk a few blocks for what might be a meager junk meal, or something damn good and filling. You cannot starve here in town, but you can get fat from all the daily freebie grinds.
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

It's most unpleasant to eat surrounded by an objectionable odor.
                        On the TV program "Airline" (they follow airline employess and document their day at work), there was a smelly man who was denied boarding onto the plane. The other passengers just could not hack it on a flight next to him. The employees very kindly gave the man some toiletries and clean clothes, let him clean up a bit, and then let him board. Everyone ended up happy.

But back on topic, there was an alcoholic neighbor (not homeless, but very alcoholic) who started hanging around outside the library asking for money for food. I offered to go buy her some groceries, and she said no she wanted cash. [Gee, I wonder what for?...] The next few times I saw her begging, I'd basically told her to not bother asking me for money for booze. Luckily for her, some friends were finally able to get her into rehab.
                        Last edited by Amati; March 3, 2009, 12:33 PM.
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                          [...]The employees very kindly gave the man some toiletries and clean clothes, let him clean up a bit, and then let him board. Everyone ended up happy.
                          Yes, a win-win situation is always appreciated but not always feasible. Nice of the employees to extend a helping hand. I wonder where the clean clothes came from.

Comment

Yes, a win-win situation is always appreciated but not always feasible. Nice of the employees to extend a helping hand. I wonder where the clean clothes came from.
                            They had a back office/storeroom that was full of stuff, including extra clothes. Probably left over from some unfortunate traveler who's luggage was lost.
                            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond3121 View Post
                              Security was completely out of line to make the man leave. If he bought food there he has every right to eat it there.
                              I don’t know if that’s necessarily true. I’ve seen signs at restaurants that read “We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.” I know you can’t discriminate based on race, gender, sexual orientation, or disability, but from the situation you described he doesn’t fit into any of these categories. His smell may cause other patrons to lose their appetite, which I think is a legitimate concern for any food vendor. I’m sure they wouldn’t have asked him to leave if he simply took a shower. I see many homeless do so at the beach. But don’t blame the security guard. That guard was simply obeying his employer, which takes precedence over accomodating someone who may be causing McDonald’s&#174; to lose business.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                              X