A record by Melveen Reed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A record by Melveen Reed?

I've been here for three years but have only generated 29 posts, which is sad, since I wanted to get to know everyone here, talk story, get homesick, etc. With some of the projects I'm wanting to do, I hope to be able to talk with many of you so I figured I would begin here again.

I am a kama'aina living in Washington State, and I'm a music journalist (soon-to-be-author), artist/producer, record collector/junkie, and an info freak. I've been a music journalist for 24 years, reviewing everything from soul to funk, jazz to punk, but have always shined the spotlight on music from back home, be it traditional or contemporary. I used to run a website called "Hawaiian Music Corner", which reviewed then-new music but also looked at some of the Hawaiian music and artists that may have been forgotten. I want to start a series of articles on my new website that will look at some of these old records, and have it be used towards a bigger book project. One publisher has seeked interest, but it's a way of at least getting the information out there.

Last week I was looking on eBay for whatever Hawaiian records were being sold, and I did a search for Melveen. However I came across a 45/7" single by someone named Melveen Reed. One, there aren't too many people I know named Melveen, and not one with a very similiar sounding name. I was a kid in the 70's and I remember her music very well on KCCN, and all of the telethon appearances she made, I was raised literally on her voice, the famous "country tita". So to see a record by a Melveen Reed came as a shock, so I did some research. Nothing. It was on the Ligaya label, looked it up again. Nothing.

What convinced me that it was her? The record, a cover version of "Wooly Booly", featured backing from the Bernie Hal-Mann Orchestra. On the early albums Leed did for Makaha Records, she was also backed by Berne Hal-mann, except "Wooly Booly" was recorded in Hollywood. I bought the 45, and it happened to be someone who lived in the same area. I picked it up a few minutes ago, placed it on my turntable and... it's definitely Leed, as Reed.

"Wooly Booly" is done pretty straightforward, but instead of singing it as "woolay boolay", it's literally "woolee boolee". The B-side, "My Lost Dream", is credited to L.J. Rea, or Ligaya J. Rea, the Ligaya in Ligaya Records. This one is a pop/jazz ballad and is very true to what she would become known for.

I visited Leed's website and made an attempt to get in contact with her or her management for a possible interview, as I'd like to know about this record as well as her albums on Makaha back when she looked like this:

Has anyone heard this record before? Anyone know who Ligaya J. Rea is/was?

Re: A record by Melveen Reed?

First time for me seeing this from the tita. I think you made a big score here!
    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
      First time for me seeing this from the tita. I think you made a big score here!
      It was in decent condition too, a bit of surface noise but no scratches or skips. I'm curious to know if anything else was released and/or recorded for these Ligaya sessions.

Comment

Cool research, Johmbo! I'll bet even she doesn't have a copy.

Good luck on your future ventures, and website. Got a link?
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          Cool research, Johmbo! I'll bet even she doesn't have a copy.

Good luck on your future ventures, and website. Got a link?
          My site is here:
          http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com

It features my column, my podcast, and "music news of interest" (i.e. whatever interests me).

Comment

Gonna see if I can track down any details for you, John --- my Hawaiian radio co-host here in Seattle is an old friend of Melveen's, so I'll ask if she can get in touch.

Comment

John, you need to talk to Jay Junker at UH, to Harry B. Soria, and to the McDiarmid father and son. All of them are wizards of Hawaiian music in the timeframe in question.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                John, you need to talk to Jay Junker at UH, to Harry B. Soria, and to the McDiarmid father and son. All of them are wizards of Hawaiian music in the timeframe in question.
                I've passed a few e-mails to the elder McDiarmid a few years ago about Sunday Manoa's Guava Jam, and he reviewed a few facts about the making of the album that I had not known. I haven't spoken with him since but want to start it up again, since he had welcomed me to look at the Hula archives. I have not talked with the son yet, but hope to very soon. In fact I'll make contact with them via e-mail tomorrow (Friday) and proceed with this project.

I'll look for a contact on Jay Junker.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Gonna see if I can track down any details for you, John --- my Hawaiian radio co-host here in Seattle is an old friend of Melveen's, so I'll ask if she can get in touch.
                  Very cool, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by johmbolaya View Post
                    I'll look for a contact on Jay Junker.
                    Look no farther. You can e-mail him at jjunker@hawaii.edu and you can see his page on the university website at http://www.hawaii.edu/uhmmusic/faculty/Junker.htm . You can call the music department at (808) 956-7756.

Comment

If he's still also working at Manoa Safeway, you could just run into him in the late night hours. That's where I used to see him all the time.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by johmbolaya View Post
                        I have not talked with the son yet, but hope to very soon. In fact I'll make contact with them via e-mail tomorrow (Friday) and proceed with this project.
                        It can take a while to catch Flip, but be patient - when he's got the time to give you, he's a great storyteller.

Comment

Well, I dropped an e-mail to Melveen at the address my friend has - but it was returned, saying that the account is "over quota" - so she probably doesn't use that address any more. Sorry, but I'll keep asking around.

Comment

Well, I dropped an e-mail to Melveen at the address my friend has - but it was returned, saying that the account is "over quota" - so she probably doesn't use that address any more. Sorry, but I'll keep asking around.
                            I tried writing too and nothing, but thank you for that.

Comment

John, were you able to contact Jay Junker yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X