PDA

View Full Version : is 30 too old for Easter eggs?

turtlegirl
April 10th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Haha! Is 30 too old for Easter festivities? I love to color eggs, but I won't eat them (yeeech!) but I make some darn good deviled eggs. Sooo, If the end result is gonna be deviled eggs anyway, I think we should color and hide them, in the spirit of Easter!! It's not just for little kids exclusively, right?!

helen
April 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I don't think there is an age limit to make and hide the Easter Eggs.

Random
April 10th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Haha! Is 30 too old for Easter festivities? I love to color eggs, but I won't eat them (yeeech!) but I make some darn good deviled eggs. Sooo, If the end result is gonna be deviled eggs anyway, I think we should color and hide them, in the spirit of Easter!! It's not just for little kids exclusively, right?!
*imagines turtlegirl in an Easter Sunday dress and bonnet looking for hidden eggs*

I gotta get my mind out of the filthy gutter. :p

oggboy
April 11th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Here comes peter-cottontail, looking for the turtle girl.:d

leashlaws
April 11th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Last weekend we had our annual Easter soiree'. We always have an egg coloring station and had 3 dozen eggs for folks to color. We had a ham
and everyone brought stuff to go with it. We had people from their 30's -80's
and everyone loved coloring eggs! Most people had not colored them since
their kids grew up. Definitely! Color eggs TG!:)

tutusue
April 11th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I attend an annual Easter dinner at a friend's home where one guest always brings eggs and a coloring kit. All us ol' futs have a grand time being kids again!

Leo Lakio
April 11th, 2009, 11:24 AM
All us ol' futs have a grand time being kids again!Even better if you can be a kid still, rather than again - never lose track of that joy.

tutusue
April 11th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Even better if you can be a kid still, rather than again - never lose track of that joy.
I hear ya, Leo, but reality is a bit different. It can be difficult nowadays for even kids to feel that joyful innocence 24/7. The key, I think, is to maintain the ability to return to joy when the realities of life take aim. ;)

Coloring Easter eggs is a joyful experience, TG. Have at it!

Leo Lakio
April 11th, 2009, 12:01 PM
The key, I think, is to maintain the ability to return to joy when the realities of life take aim. ;)Your pop taught you well, Sue.

turtlegirl
April 11th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I'm doing it!! :D The eggs are boiling on the stove right now!! I had to call my mom to ask her how. :o She was totally tickled!
Does anyone else remember how loooooooooooooong it took for those darn eggs to boil when you were a kid? It was like foreeeever! And then waiting for them to cool until your mom said it was okay? And all you wanted was to get your hand on those eggs and try out your new coloring ideas?? Haha! Yay easter!

Peshkwe
April 11th, 2009, 03:40 PM
A challenge for next year....

http://www.learnpysanky.com/

Pysanky style eggs done using Hawaiian quilt patterning or other local motifs.

Amati
April 11th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I just saw an article about putting a wide rubber band or two around the egg before putting it into the dye. When the dying process is over, and the rubber band(s) removed, it leaves a big white stripe on the egg. Way cool for being so easy!

turtlegirl
April 11th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I saw on tv about putting leaves and stuff on your egg and tying it up in pantyhose before coloring. I'm trying that now. So far it looks really cool! Photos to follow....

Adri
April 11th, 2009, 04:06 PM
A challenge for next year....

http://www.learnpysanky.com/

Pysanky style eggs done using Hawaiian quilt patterning or other local motifs.

I know some adults who take doing pysanky seriously and very much enjoy egg decorating at this time of year. :)

AbsolutChaos
April 11th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I remember attending an adult Easter egg hunt--the eggs contained items strictly for adults. ;) The usual potluck was part of the festivities. A fun time was had by all!

tutusue
April 11th, 2009, 06:07 PM
A friend of mine tried making silk-dyed Easter eggs (http://www.marthastewart.com/article/silk-dyed-easter-eggs?autonomy_kw=silk%20dyed%20easter%20eggs&rsc=header_2) the other day and said it was really easy.

Walkoff Balk
April 11th, 2009, 08:14 PM
She's got eggs, she knows how to use them.
She never begs, she knows how to choose them.
She's holdin' eggs, wonderin' how to feel them.
Would you get behind them, if you could only find them?
She's my baby, she's my baby,
yeah, it's alright.

Eric
April 11th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Peshkwe and Adri: as a kid I stumbled across a National Geographic article about Ukrainian pysanky eggs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pysanky) and was fascinated. It took decades before I decided to try it myself, but once I did I was hooked (http://www.hawaiistories.com/eric/categories/easter-eggs/).

Adri
April 12th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Very nice eggs, Eric. Are they from this Easter?

Peshkwe
April 12th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Cool eggs Eric, the coloring parties looked like fun.

Honoruru
April 12th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I haven't thought about Easter Eggs since I was a kid, and that was many years ago, but those Pysanky eggs look really cool and fun to do.

HawaiiMama
April 12th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Our son will be 22 in August, but we have never stopped dyeing eggs! They get eaten up right away, though, in the potato salad and as deviled eggs, and man, they are good. I love it when the dye gets thru the cracks and leaves "veins" inside. I usually scoop up some of the coloring kits the day after Easter, so they are cheaper, and keep them on hand for the next year(s). We'll never quit coloring eggs! Happy Easter, everyone!

surlygirly
April 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I'm very sad that I didn't get to dye eggs this Easter. I always do, and I'm 28. And when you're an adult and no kids are around, using white crayon to write "fun" messages on the eggs before you dye them is an added bonus.

Speaking of wrapping leaves, TG...did you ever solve the problem of the Fugly Lamp that S bought? Did you hurl it at the closet (ha ha) or take the wuss way out and make the leaves into honus?

Seeking Penance
April 13th, 2009, 04:16 PM
although my post is a day late..you are never too old for easter eggs....why just last week; i mentioned to my bestest friend ever that i better have an easter basket or else before easter sunday...much to my suprise i received one....shortly after her siblings convinced her that i was never too old for an easter basket....they all of course laughed at the thought....my goodie easter basket was filled with love, kit kat, butter fingers easter eggs etc...etc....

i don't have issues....i'm just a huge selfish spoiled rotten 34 soon to be 35 year old baby

mahalo ht ohana

*waves at TG* - afternoon gorgeous!!

turtlegirl
April 14th, 2009, 12:27 PM
TG...did you ever solve the problem of the Fugly Lamp that S bought? Did you hurl it at the closet (ha ha) or take the wuss way out and make the leaves into honus?

ugh! that lamp! S is very proud if the fact that his nightstand lamp looks like a reject prop from "The Golden Girls", and I don't have the heart to mess with it. Tee hee - it is SO hideous!!

Easter morning I woke up and all my pretty eggs were gone!! He woke up earlier than me and hid them!! It was super fun! Thank goodness I found them all, but I'm sure that if i had missed one, it'd be really easy to find it by now...:p

(...waves back to SP!)