Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Ching - Artist

I guess this is the right forum.

In Kaiser Moanalua, there is a fantastic painting of a thoroughbred horse in a field. Just on the mauka back of the 1st floor elevators.

Not sure how it got there, but the artist was Pat Ching.
    His gallery is currently in a 'shop' in Waimanalo. You can recognize it from the horse out front. Last time I was there, 'Dot' from the former Kailua Craig's Bakery was there, helping out. An old (but young in years) friend.

I knew Pat from Old 'Hale Nau`a' days, and owned a few of his pieces. As I have pieces from Rocky Jensen, Al Lagunero, John Pitré and others....

15 years ago, maybe 20, Pat created a fantastic set of note cards, depicting various Hawaiian wildlife, in black and white. I save them for my most treasured friends, for they are no longer available.

Visit Pat in Waimanalo. Support his artwork. Before long there will be no one left to conjure images as he does.

Tell him Ka`onohi sent you!
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Pat Ching - Artist

Hi Feller and thanks for sharing that. I did appreciate Pat Ching's work but sadly do not have any originals. I taught Art for many years after coming out of the armed forces and loved the works which my eyes devoured on your Islands.
    Two of my younger friends have recently come back from honeymoon in Honolulu (The Marriot no less).!!!

My present was a print by Peggy Chun ( recently R.I.P.) I knew her as an outgoing, party loving lady. She came to all my gigs,,,,, especially my regular sing/guitar along in Kelly O'Neils on Lewars.

My best to You and Yours Barry.

Comment

I have been to the gallery many many times. Always a friendly atmosphere
      and so many neat things to buy. The MIL has a few of his works having had them sent back to MN. He illustrates some great children's books too. His
      website is a good one too. Yes, indeed support him and local artists!

I have a really cool really large original Eddy Y sand painting of a hula dancer on the beach that is magnificent. I also have a few Kastner (Steve & Jim)
      photographs as well as many Dan De Luz bowls. We have lots of art here
      at the house life without art isn't life.

Comment

I'm also a big fan of Patrick Ching and his Naturally Hawaiian gallery and have worked with him on a few community benefit deals in Waimanalo. He loves helping the community and especially the keiki, and he's a terrific artist.
        Several years ago I was in there one time talking with him and flipping through some of his art that he was selling as postcards. There was this one that showed a really nice ranch surrounded by fields (but in reality is the juvenile detention center near Castle Junction). The caption under the image said "Home Sweet Home." I started laughing, and he said I was the first person to get the joke. Obviously the tourists had no clue.
        Great sense of humor, great artist, and great with his community. Support Naturally Hawaiian!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Pat never recognised me as a tourist/visitor. (OR Haole) I showed him my sketch book and told him that I was amazed by what I had seen during my wanderings about the Islands.

He gave me some good advice.

1) "Close your mouth,,,, flies may get in."

2) "Barry, your eyes are the most external part of your brain, you look
          and perceive the world and then try to make sense of it .
          You then draw or paint your views and propogate these
          feelings."

ps. Nobody liked my sketches ? or at least they never said so.

Comment

If I had kids I like one of them to do a birthday party at his gallery on the website it looks like so much fun for them painting the horse and all.

Comment

Pat's a hell of a guy.
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
              X