Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children of Eden - Army Community Theatre

I'M GOING TO BE IN A MUSICAL!
    I will play Eve and my sons have been cast as young Cain and young Abel in Army Community Theatre's production of Children of Eden.

Army Community Theatre will conclude its 2008-2009 season with the musical "Children of Eden" by Stephen Schwartz, composer of such Broadway hits as "Pippin" and "Wicked."

The production runs from May 7 through 23, with a Thursday opening and subsequent Friday - Saturday performances, the show marks the local directing debut of Brett Harwood, new assistant to long-time ACT producer-director Vanita Rae Smith.

All performances are at 7:30 p.m. at Richardson Theatre on Fort Shafter.

Tickets are on sale now for $12 to $20 at the ACT Box Office, 438-4480 or http://www.armytheatre.com

"Children of Eden" tells the familiar stories from the book of Genesis - Adam and Eve, Noah and the Ark.

It features musical direction by Megan Mount, choreography by Katherine Jones and scenic/projection design by Jon Savage.

Heading the cast is Laurence Paxton, University of Hawaii Professor of Music, as Father. Playing the 'younger' Eve is Tahiti Rey, who recently won a Hawaii Music "Recognition Award" in the Pop category for her solo album, "Acoustic Beauty."

The show plays May 7, 8, 9, 15, 16, 22 and 23.

I am dedicating my performance to my former vocal teacher, mentor and friend RHONDA aka the "Queen of the South Pacific."
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: Children of Eden - Army Community Theatre

Ticket sales are going very slowly so I'm here to do another plug for our show!

We had our first full dress rehearsal yesterday and I really think it's going to be an AWESOME production! The cast are super amazing and so talented but now that I've seen it with the lights, costumes and effects - WOW! The music is what drew me in for the auditions but now, I'm really feeling the emotions of the writing. Although it's based on the biblical stories of Adam and Eve, Noah and the Ark, it touches on the universal themes of families, love and forgiveness, that even us heathens can relate to.

I hope it doesn't turn into the greatest show that NO ONE saw! We open this Thursday so get your Mother's Day weekend off to a great start by bringing the whole family to see Children of Eden!
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post

Playing the 'younger' Eve is Tahiti Rey, who recently won a Hawaii Music "Recognition Award" in the Pop category for her solo album, "Acoustic Beauty."

She just got a Hoku nomination this week, too, for "Contemporary Album of the Year."

This ought to be a fine show - Schwartz is a great composer, and this is one of his lesser-known works, because he didn't write it for Broadway, but for semi-pro and amateur groups to perform.

Comment

We got a good review in this morning's Honolulu Advertiser - YAY!
        But the reviewer didn't mention me by name - BOO!
        But he also didn't say I sucked - YAY!

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...=2009905120308

Comment

We got ANOTHER good review in this morning's Star-Bulletin.
          http://www.starbulletin.com/features..._enchants.html
          Again, I wasn't mentioned by name but I'm not gonna be all DIVA about it! I'm just hoping that these good reviews will help to boost tickets sales - all the more reason to call the Box Office (438-4480) and get your tickets NOW!
          Last edited by kiwidiva; May 14, 2009, 01:31 PM.

Comment

The review's criticism seems tongue-in-cheek to me. Complaints about mythic rewrites of a myth can hardly be serious, can they?
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Well, you and I may think it's a MYTH but some people believe this really happened! As a non-religious person, I've had a few people who know me question how I can be in this production. I justify it as that I'm telling a story - and to me, that's what it is. I am respectful of the fact that some people were raised to believe that this is the truth.

I wanted to invite a friend of ours who is a minister but my husband was hesitant because he wasn't sure how he would react to our show. Hubby (who has watched the show a few times now) thinks that our 'God' is portrayed as vindictive and shallow.

I think it's all open to interpretation and I hope that like John Berger, people will realize that we are trying to entertain them, not convert them and definitely not to challenge their beliefs.

Comment

Just in case you need ANOTHER reason to see Children of Eden - check out this piece from today's Advertiser about our "amazing" costumes!

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...=2009905150324

Comment

Now that we are closed, I can finally say it... WOW! What an amazing experience and what a privilege for my boys and I to make theatre magic with such an awesome group of people - the cast, crew, drama mamaz and especially the director, musical director and choreographer were the BEST!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crk1Ew5jfVg

We hope to audition for future productions to continue learning and developing our craft.
                  Last edited by kiwidiva; May 26, 2009, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X