Hawaiian Night every Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian Night every Monday

...@ Sweet Basil And Thai, in the Manoa Marketplace, upstairs where Shipleys used to be, from 6-9pm. Showcasing 4 young Hawaiian music superstars, including - David Kamakahi on uke, Chino Montero on guitar, Jeff Peterson on guitar, and for now, Bobby Ingano on Hawaiian steel guitar. Bobby sez he's bringing his Strat tonight along with his steel. Not only is Bobby probably the best steeler in the State, but he is a top bluesman as well, so this will be a rare opportunity to see him play some tasty guitar blues.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Hawaiian Night every Monday

Whoa! What a killer lineup!

Comment

David Kamakahi and Bobby Ingano were part of the regular lineup at Shipley's back in the day. From this page of the Hawaii Steel Guitar Association is this photo and caption from 1997:

Shipleys "superjam"
      An "Uptown" Sunday jam at Shipley's in Manoa Marketplace, Oahu's "In" spot for musicians to ho`okani pila. (L to R) B.B. Shawn (partly hidden), Mike Kaawa, Dennis Kamakahi, Kawika Kamakahi, Rick Ermshar, and as usual, Bobby Ingano on steel.

I'm glad to hear someone has reopened in the old Shipley's and is featuring David and Bobby and the others.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        David Kamakahi and Bobby Ingano were part of the regular lineup at Shipley's back in the day. I'm glad to hear someone has reopened in the old Shipley's and is featuring David and Bobby and the others.
        I was probably there that night. Those jams were way better than what I heard tonite. I got to the gig pretty late, about 8pm, after Bobby played and then turned the steel over to another awesome player, Jeff Au Hoy. But the sound level was way to loud, and the players weren't respectful to the steel, so an excellant opportunity was largely lost.

Gotta say, the food I had sucked, and my $6+ LI ice tea was dinky.
        I was dreaming of the old garlic fries and mayo!

I seriously miss Shipleys now...

Bobby made up for it all tho, with some incredibly funny jokes. Typical.

Thanx for the pic!

Almost forgot, these guy's will all be at The Pakele Lounge this Thurday evening for the CD release party for David's newy.
        Last edited by Ron Whitfield; April 27, 2009, 11:07 PM.

Comment

...the Hawaii Steel Guitar Association...
          They are holding their convention RIGHT NOW at the Queen Kapi`olani. I would expect Ron to be going, but if anyone from HT is there, look for my buddy Jack "Keaka" Aldrich - I play Hawaiian music with him regularly in the Seattle area.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            They I would expect Ron to be going...
            Nah, they charge too much, $40 a day, and I have too many differences with the HSGA. But we got good freebies on Friday/May Day at Kapiolani Park, nearby the bandstand on the DH side. The HSGA stage tent will have a number of players, probably Bobby, Jeff, Derrick Mau, Ron 'Rogers family' Kanahele, and some others, starting from 1pm.
            Sat. at the Kapahulu Library, starting at 1pm, will have more of the same, and the really big shoe at the Ala Wai Golfcourse Clubhouse from 1-3pm will have a good line-up this year. It's often been an embarrassment to steel guitar the last few shows since Jerry Byrd handed it over, but if they manage to get a good sound system and don't mess things up it should be worthwhile.
            $10 donation will be 'suggested' for the Ala Wai gig, but just walk in and enjoy. They got plenty of $ and don't use it well...
            I gotta work the weekend, but will be at the park on Fri.
            www.hwnsge.5u.com

Comment

I'm glad to hear someone has reopened in the old Shipley's and is featuring David and Bobby and the others.
              Better go soon if you want to see them. I wouldn't be surprised if Thai Sweet Basil doesn't last much longer now that Bangkok Chef opened a block away. The businesses in that location don't seem to do very well. Donato's was in that spot for a few years in between Shipley's and Thai Sweet Basil.

Comment

Originally posted by localmoco View Post
                Better go soon if you want to see them. I wouldn't be surprised if Thai Sweet Basil doesn't last much longer now that Bangkok Chef opened a block away.
                Unless my experience was a great exception to the norm, they might as well shut the doors now. It's a great 'room', but there was nothing from Monday night to make me want to consider a return.

Comment

Working...
                X