Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Boy

Does anyone own one?

I am thinking of buying a Game Boy Advanced, see some used ones on sale for $50 at Ala Moana, although I shudder slightly that I might get a model some teenager had been slamming away on until its contacts are almost inoperable.

I don't want one of those new two-piece things with the flip-up screen.

And I just want one to play the RPG/Adventure type games. Will I be wasting my money? (I know already I'll be wasting my time.)

Re: Game Boy

We own two GBAs. Only one of our kids is old enough to use them... and I'd wager the little devices have had more use in the hands of adults than of kids. They're great for what they are, a perfect gadget for the "handheld game" category... the iPod of time wasters, perhaps?

There's no shortage of games, and our preference is actually for puzzle and arcade games rather than any of the newer shoot-em-ups and the like, and we haven't gone wanting for titles. There are lots and lots and lots of Game Boy Advance review and information websites out there to help you pick the best games in your preferred style (puzzle, arcade, sports, driving, etc.).

Here are GameSpot's pages on role-playing games and strategy games. It couldn't hurt to go down the list of most popular games overall, as the market is one way to gauge what titles offer the best whatever -- game play, graphics, features, and the like.

If you can get a decent used one for $40-$50 (ideally even less), I'd go for it. It's those batteries that'll kill you.

The only downside to the original GBA is the screen lighting. Unless you're sitting under a lamp, it's hard to see well. The irony is, the new GBA has a built in backlight (pretty much the only feature folks felt was lacking in the original), but of course the batteries drain faster.

Comment

The Wai'alae Avenue Toys N Joys is where we get all our used video game machines. We have three GBAs, a GameCube, an N64, a Super NES, and even an original NES (it still works!). I guess you could say we like Nintendo.

Comment

Hmm. They list "pre-owned" Game Boy Advance units for $45. Considering you can get a new updated Game Boy Advance (the GBA SP) for $100, I'm wondering if the market value of these things are just a little inflated.

Comment

I got a "like new" one from Half.com (a part of ebay, but here you don't bid, it's just the final price given) for $45 about two years ago. It came from a "non-smoking adult with no pets", so it was fine. Perhaps the system is even cheaper now. I even get most of my games there as well, some for under $10!

(Plus you get saved from the embarassment of going to the toy store and being asked, "Oh are you picking this up for your son?" "Yeah," I blurt out...not mentioning that my son is barely two and is not even allowed to touch my gameboy! hehehehe)

I think it's worth it because there are a lot of games you can choose from, used or new. You can use old Gameboy games as well (which you can get for less than $5!), so even "ancient" ones like "Tetris" can be played on the GBA. Also, if you have the Game Cube, you can hook up the GBA to become a controller for games like Zelda and Animal Crossing. The lighting may be bad, but I bought a Worm to attach to it to give it its own special light (I got it for $7 at Half.com--wow someone's selling a "brand new" one for $3.50!). You can get it to match your GBA color Oh...and another thing is the battery compartment's lid comes off quite easily. I guess to make it easy to install more batteries but it comes off way too easily (I've seen it happen with not only mine, but my nephew's as well). But nothing a little tape won't fix.

I'd say...go for it!

BTW...Zelda's always a good choice for RPG, there's also Final Fantasy, and I particularly like "Lost Vikings". . . Aaaand I think I know a bit too much here hehehehehe...

Comment

I'd always recommend the GBA SP due to the backlighting and because it is a flip up. The Originale Flavor of GBA you could accidentally crack (or scratch) the screen if it's in a backpack or bag, unless you get a travel case for it. Although the backlighting does drain the batteries faster as compared to the OF, I've gone about 4 hours of nonstop gaming with the backlight on, and a few more hours after some rest without the LED going crimson warning on me. However, the GBA SP has an internal rechargeable battery and I don't know if that's a plus or minus for you. Some people like chocking batteries in and some don't. Another negative for the SP is that there's no headphone jack. If you want some privacy for the audio, you'd need to get an add-on pack for it.

If you decide to go for the GBA Originale Flavor, I've got a worm light squiggling around somewhere that was for my GB Color. Should work for GBAs... I'll check when I get home. If it does, I'll be happy to sell it to you for free-ninety-nine.

Comment

"I've gone about 4 hours of nonstop gaming"

EEK! What's it take, two AA's? That's expensive gaming.

You see, the reason I am asking about this is that Hamilton Library at UH-Manoa is now enforcing their one-hour-per-day computer use for non students. They are probably worried about the huge increase in population expected here next month (18,000 students!). So I won't be able to play my favorite MUD and was wondering what I could do to fill those missing hours.

Of course, I could just read Proust and Joyce, finish the books I've always meant to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
                EEK! What's it take, two AA's? That's expensive gaming.
                The GBA SP's battery has an estimate of 10 straight hours of gaming time before you have to recharge. I haven't noticed too much trickle drain (drainage of battery when unit is off) so I say it's pretty good. I don't really know about the recharge rate, but if you don't play while it's recharging, then I'd say about a good 2 hours will do the trick. With the backlight off, you're suppose to be able to play for 18 hours. But if you do that, then you might as well pick up the Originale Flavor.

As for the GBA Originale Flavor, it takes 2 AA batteries. CompUSA specs state that it lasts about 15 hours. Of course, if you use a plug-in, like the worm light, I'm assuming that lowers the time a little.

Comment

Albert, you are aware that the GBA SP has a fixed, proprietary rechargable battery, right? Sadly, you need to have occasional access to a power outlet. If you need a game system that you can get going again just by ducking into an ABC Store, the original system is probably your best bet.

Comment

"Albert, you are aware that the GBA SP has a fixed, proprietary rechargable battery, right?"

Errr, no, I had no idea.

Maybe I should just budget for a net-cafe and play my favorite MUD.

Comment

If you're looking for backwards compatibility, then wait until Nintendo releases the DS (supposedly the next generation of the gameboy).

Some reports say that it'll be able to play GBA games, but if your looking to play the Gameboy color games, then get the original GBA. I think the SP isn't worth it, unless you want to protect your screen, and have a light (which are easily installable).
                      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                      X